Out To Sea (1997 film)

MaxThrusters

We just watched this film, which was largely shot on the old ms Westerdam. What a hoot! Not the greatest film, but interesting perhaps to we who have cruised on HAL.

Does HAL even have the 'gentleman host' dancers anymore? If they do, I'm sure they don't assign free crew quarters anymore. In fact, haven't they done away with the ballroom-style dance areas altogether? I've never seen such on my cruises, although I understand the new ship ms New Koenigsberg has is again.

I found it odd that the film didn't show anyone dining in the MDR or anywhere else.

I liked how they showed people all dressed up.. everyone in ballgowns and tuxedos! That never happens anymore.

The cruise director appeared to have a room big enough to hold a small table for four, which I found unlikely.

I was sad to read that almost everyone who appeared in the film has died. Spooky!

Has anyone else seen it and wish to comment?

I enjoyed watching that movie as well. I agree that it is a bit cheesy, but it is a light and fun movie. I have sailed HAL twice and have never seen any ballroom style dancing or male dance hosts aboard. Thanks foir mentoning the movie...it made me smile!:D

Wow!!! Thanks for the memories. I believe Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathew played the characters in that movie. I haven't seen it in ages, but I think it was a comedy! Wouldn't you love it if they made more movies like that today.

It has been quite some time since we saw that movie.

We used to have dance hosts on our 14 day cruises (not back-to-backs). Then they were eliminated. We also had them on our repositioning cruises (21 days) from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle and vice versa as well as on our 21 and 22 day Pan American cruises. The Pan American cruises aren't even offered anymore.

I don't know if they have dance hosts on the World Cruises.

Wow!!! Thanks for the memories. I believe Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathew played the characters in that movie. I haven't seen it in ages, but I think it was a comedy! Wouldn't you love it if they made more movies like that today.

They were the stars in that movie.

I love more movies like that as well.

"They eat your WHAT?"

Funniest line in the movie.

I think the ballroom scene was made on board the old Queen Mary in Long Beach.... I think. Will check.

The old WESTERDAM... good ship. Best cinema ever.... best place to sleep. Too comfortable!

One of the bar waiters in the Lido.... name 'Toppie'. He said he was the last of the species on board the WESTERDAM! Picked up his tray to take drinks out to the passengers... Glacier Bay... cold weather. Toppie shouted in loud voice.... "Hot Beer! Hot Sodas! Hot lemonade!" Funny fellow.

During T shirt sale I saw the collection and said to Captain who happened to be standing there, "Hi Captain. Why are they selling PACIFIC PRINCESS T shirts on board HAL?" All of the shirts said PACIFIC PRINCESS and Princes Cruises. He was not happy and tore a strip off the shop manager!

Yes, good ship. Was good when was as HOMERIC under Home Lines too... 1987.

Stephen

We were on the old Westerdam during the one week that the cast was filming onboard. It was fun seeing all the stars in person, but they had hoped to get about 10 minutes of film for the movie. When it came out it turned out to be more like about 3 minutes, so no, it wasn't filmed "mainly on the old Westerdam." The scene out on deck with everyone dressed up was taken on a formal night and that was back when people really did dress up. I'm just out of camera range in that scene, but my husband's foot is onscreen for about two seconds in a scene around the pool.

It was fun when we were in ports to ride back to the ship on the same tender as Walter Mathau and some of the others. All in all, a very fun cruise.

Apologies for going a little bit off topic, but Rotterdam V was used in part in the remake of Captains Courageous (not the Spencer Tracy/Freddie Bartholomew) original. One of the scenes I remember was the "kid" in the water after he fell overboard with a fine stern view of Rotterdam as she sailed on. I don't recall if any other scenes were actually filmed on Rotterdam V, but perhaps others will recall the fill. Lead was John (?) Ulrich as I recall.

When we first started cruising, back in the '90s, there were still the Big Band entertainers like Glenn Miller Band, Tommy Dorsey Band, etc.. During these cruises there were dance hosts available and the single ladies loved it! We sailed one time on the old Westerdam and she was a lovely ship,

On the Ryndam in March, in either Roatan or Costa Maya, a crew member stopped me on the Promenade to point out that the Thomson ship in port was the old Westerdam. He said he had once sailed on her and as he gazed at her, I could tell her had wonderful memories going through his mind. I appreciated receiving this bit of history from the crew member!

I have watched the movie & didn't know it was filmed on the old Westerdam, I did enjoy it. We have been on cruises which had the dance hosts on board, but it has been awhile.

Allan

LOVED Brent Spiner (also still alive) as Gil Godwin, the CD (and how he announced himself before he came onstage). Also Elaine Stritch's line that went something like "I have to take a crap and a nap, and I don't need an audience for either".