Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

Interesting idea and one I'd support however (sorry to be negative) , you might end up with a single half hearted one.

Maybe. But the constant blame on pax must be shared by the cruise line too. Make it more special, traditional, and filled with cruising specific events and it might reignite the fire.

Maybe. But the constant blame on pax must be shared by the cruise line too. Make it more special, traditional, and filled with cruising specific events and it might reignite the fire.
Absolutely ! I put the majority of the responsibility for degrading of formal night on the cruise ships .

Frankly the only tradition that they really wish to keep is the formal night photographs .

I don't have much of a problem with passengers under-dressing .

It's an interesting idea. The only thing you could do that would excite us and make us want to participate is to allow blue jeans and polo's. We just do not like to dress up and we refuse all invitations that require other than casual dress. There really isn't anything you can do about that.

I like the concept too but hold onto your top hats because the haters gonna' hate. :D

I guess some may say why pack formal at all if only wearing once. Ok. Or some may not want to dress. Ok. But I'm saying if they bring back the specialness of it more will want to participate anyways. That's how I feel at least.

Sounds like a great compromise to me, but the same people who don't want dress up for two nights won't do it for one. Also I wouldn't expect the cruise line to enforce this rule either (frankly I can't blame relatively low-paid waiters or other crew members who depend on tips for not wanting to confront passengers over attire).

Sounds like a great compromise to me, but the same people who don't want dress up for two nights won't do it for one. Also I wouldn't expect the cruise line to enforce this rule either (frankly I can't blame relatively low-paid waiters or other crew members who depend on tips for not wanting to confront passengers over attire).

I don't want to dress up for two. Not the way it is now. Stop with 2 dress up nights that are no different than all other MDR nights and put the effort into one really good, differentiated effort and people may be more willing to participate.

I really see some trying to run with this as a dress code thing but it's not that so much as well if the cruise line makes it worth dressing up for, more will do so.

Times have changed and most people have no interest in dressing formally. The only reason the cruise lines hold onto this outdated event is to sell photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think if you are not 100% correct on this then it is greater than 90%.

OP: I think a single formal night on a 7 days is a good idea too.

Of course being this is one of the taboo threads I will probably have to unsubscribe from it soon because they turn nasty fast. LOL

Since I work in my pajamas (scrubs);) I love dressing for cruises. I do the whole formal night, I dress in sharp dinner attire and even bring night club clothes. So for people like myself, wouldn't miss it.

Last short cruise I was there to relax, never went to the MDR, there are options for everyone. However I think your idea is excellent for those that miss the old formal nights like myself.

I think they have two nights to try to sell more dress up photos. People get two chances to take a picture they might like!

I agree. And that's all that's left of "the way it was". It's not a special event anymore. Why bother with two lame attempts; just make it one GOOD one instead.

I would like the one formal night. I agree with op, make the night special with champaign toast from captain, bring back the midnight buffet, and ice sculptures. I know at one time I saw the ice carving demonstration during the day of formal night.

In days gone by every night was formal, sorry to see that anything but shorts will do in the MDR.

I have done formal nights both ways,,dressed in evening ware for MDR, or casual cloths and buffet dinner.

JMO

Please royal dont bring formal night back again ,I am happy with the freestyle system on board royal lol

I like your idea but I rather go with 2 formals in fact I call one formal and the other one semi formal :D

I think RCI could make formal night popular again, especially on 7 day itineraries, by going from 2 half hearted (weak) nights to 1 really spectacular night. White glove service. Special captains and officer events all evening. Midnight buffet on formal night. An ice carving show and display. Display some of the grandeur thrown away to save costs the past 10 to 20 years.

The thought being maybe if the cruise line put some Chutzpah back into their efforts more people would get excited for it and participate. I'd look forward to one really nice event versus what currently is really no different than other evenings offerings.

We loved dressing up and getting formal photos taken before enjoying a spectacular meal.

I would love to have one incredible formal night, instead of two mediocre ones.

Anyone from RCI paying attention?