No nuts/snacks in the bars/lounges

DW and I just returned from a cruise on the Navigator. Overall it was a good cruise and we had a good time. We were shocked that none of the bars had any nuts/snacks available. The one exception was the Vintages wine bar that did have some cheese, olives and prosciutto. Furthermore, we were shocked that to get a drink we had to go directly to the bar itself rather than have someone come to our seats in the bar/lounge area and wait on us. (Again, Vintages was the one exception) Then we had to carry our drinks back to our seats. What is the 18% service charge for anyway? I certainly did not receive any outstanding bar service.

The increase in Gratuity from 15% to 18% at the same time bar service is declining makes it difficult to understand/justify. I don't mind the gratuity when a server takes my order and delivers the drink. But that is not the norm on Royal ships today.

I would think that with the increased drink prices AND higher gratuity Royal could hire enough staff to make ordering a cocktail an enjoyable experience!

I certainly did not receive any outstanding bar service.

Im not sure that exists anymore unless you tip heavily up front for it on TOP of the 18% :rolleyes:

The Bull and Bear pub on Freedom had a "party mix" available on Freedom. I dont guess Navigator has that pub though.

I understand your feelings. But, if I was at a bar at home and went to the bartender myself to get a drink, I would still tip him/her. Wouldn't you? Understandably, maybe not as much if a server brought it to my table, but I would still tip.

I understand your feelings. But, if I was at a bar at home and went to the bartender myself to get a drink, I would still tip him/her. Wouldn't you? Understandably, maybe not as much if a server brought it to my table, but I would still tip.

Tip yes, tip "full value" no.

Odd, at home I prefer to either sit at the bar or go to the bar and get a drink myself rather than wait for a server. Much faster and better odds it's right the first time. That said I would assume that the bars would have some kind of salty snack food, most bars do if only to increase drink sales.

Just putting out shared bowls of bar snacks is a great way for one infected person to share their NORO bug with the ship. Kinda gross if you think about it. That is one concern that may be keeping the snacks off the bar-top and available to individuals on request.

Edited by Doug S
typo

Just putting out shared bowls of bar snacks is a great way for one infected person to share their NORO bug with the ship. Kinda gross if you think about it. That is one concern that may be keeping the snacks off the bar-top and available to individuals on request.

I've never been in one where everyone stuck their hands in it, I can say I'd abstain. The standard practice I always see is you ask and they give you a bowl. Perhaps in other bars in other towns they do something more "rustic" but I'll pass on that.

I am just off the Liberty and we did have service at the tables in Olive and Twist and also in the pub. In Vintages we sat at the bar. In Olive and Twist one night we did get the nuts and in Vintages one night we did get cheese.

I think it is hit or miss with the snacks, but even by the pool there was bar service.

Liberty was wonderful and we were very happy with our service.

Irene

On Princess ships they have crunchies in a carafe looking thing that you can't get your hand into. That doesn't keep it from spreading germs, but it minimizes it some. I think they also refill them in between uses.

On RCI ships we can get crunchies most of the time, but we've had to ask for them. Once the server remembers that we like them they often bring them automatically.

We have our next cruise in a couple of weeks. I'll be curious to see how things have changed since the same time last year.

Tom

Odd, at home I prefer to either sit at the bar or go to the bar and get a drink myself rather than wait for a server. Much faster and better odds it's right the first time. That said I would assume that the bars would have some kind of salty snack food, most bars do if only to increase drink sales.

NONE of my favorite bars do this any more. far too much of an expense for little to no profit.

There you hit it on the head.

With the explosion of drink packages, they aren't looking to increase sales, so salty snacks go west.

DW and I just returned from a cruise on the Navigator. Overall it was a good cruise and we had a good time. We were shocked that none of the bars had any nuts/snacks available. The one exception was the Vintages wine bar that did have some cheese, olives and prosciutto. Furthermore, we were shocked that to get a drink we had to go directly to the bar itself rather than have someone come to our seats in the bar/lounge area and wait on us. (Again, Vintages was the one exception) Then we had to carry our drinks back to our seats. What is the 18% service charge for anyway? I certainly did not receive any outstanding bar service.

Welcome to the WOW!

We were shocked that none of the bars had any nuts/snacks available. Furthermore, we were shocked that to get a drink we had to go directly to the bar itself rather than have someone come to our seats in the bar/lounge area and wait on us. .

Shocked ?

A slight OTT remark dont ya think.

I was shocked when I read this !

No, I was concerned to read that someone was "Shocked" to see no complimentary nuts in a bar.

That is awful, a truly awful experience for you.

Have you recovered, you poor poor thing.

Shocked indeed.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
GO LYNN