$2.49 for Orange Juice?

Just came off the Jewel of the Seas on Saturday. At the Windjammer Breakfast Buffet there's this orange looking drink that I assumed was orange juice. Then I saw in the middle of the buffet a machine with an attendant and fresh oranges making fresh squeezed orange juice for $2.49!! This nickel and dime stuff is getting ridiculous

Forget Shrimp Cocktail at dinner, it wasn't on the menu one night

Overall I enjoyed the cruise, but for those prices, I don't think there should be an extra charge for Orange Juice at Breakfast

Ron

Edited by Greyfox50

If that was just $2.49 for actual fresh squeezed orange juice on a cruise ship, that was a tremendous bargain!

Now if they charged that for the normal orange flavored drink that is offered free of charge, that would be shocking.

It's probably just orange juice from concentrate for free. Sure it isn't the best quality, but it's pretty snooty to pull the "I don't know what it is, but it isn't orange juice" line. So they offer the cheap stuff for free to anyone who wants some juice with their breakfast, and they charge for fresh squeezed. No big deal. It isn't nickel and dime-ing if you don't have to choose that option. Nickel and dime-ing would be if you can have your dinner for no extra charge, but you are charged a buck for your cutlery set.

$2.49 is a deal, I paid $7-8 for fresh squeezed last month on my trip to Vegas.

I think the fresh squeezed is included in the Royal Replenish package.

Yes it is on Royal Replenish and Ultimate along with all those really special coffees.

It's probably just orange juice from concentrate for free. Sure it isn't the best quality, but it's pretty snooty to pull the "I don't know what it is, but it isn't orange juice" line. So they offer the cheap stuff for free to anyone who wants some juice with their breakfast, and they charge for fresh squeezed. No big deal. It isn't nickel and dime-ing if you don't have to choose that option. Nickel and dime-ing would be if you can have your dinner for no extra charge, but you are charged a buck for your cutlery set.

It is from concentrate and it is truly not that bad; it hit the spot and need on my last trip!

Of course it's from a "concentrate" no one is saying otherwise...but it should still have some taste...over the years it has changed drastically and lately it has become even worse :eek:

Just came off the Jewel of the Seas on Saturday. At the Windjammer Breakfast Buffet there's this orange looking drink that I assumed was orange juice. Then I saw in the middle of the buffet a machine with an attendant and fresh oranges making fresh squeezed orange juice for $2.49!! This nickel and dime stuff is getting ridiculous

Overall I enjoyed the cruise, but for those prices, I don't think there should be an extra charge for Orange Juice at Breakfast

Ron

It's not nickle and dime unless you had it before and now have to pay

$2.49 was a bargain! Last cruise on Vision TA, I tried to get fresh squeezed every day but apparently they were not really interested in selling it. First, I had to run down someone to operate the machine; then they had to locate glasses; then they had to locate oranges. I was charged 3 different prices over the period--from $2.95 to $4.50 ( plus 18% grat). I received a receipt about 40% of the time. By about day 10 I just gave up and drank the free OJ:mad:.

Of course it's from a "concentrate" no one is saying otherwise...but it should still have some taste...over the years it has changed drastically and lately it has become even worse :eek:

I don't think the reconstituted orange juice has changed at all in the last decade or so. It's not anywhere near as good as the fresh-squeezed, and it can be a bit watered down at times, but that hasn't changed over the years, at least in my experience.

I am okay with the "free" stuff, but I did treat myself to a glass of the freshly squeezed juice one morning on my recent cruise, and it was, indeed, $2.50 + 18% gratuity. The guy serving it seemed a little concerned, when he saw my Seapass, and cautioned that I'd have to pay for it. I guess most of the people who partake are those who have a beverage package that includes the fresh OJ. But I was expecting to pay. I think there was the option of a larger size for $3.50 plus gratuity, but what I got was a good portion.

If that was just $2.49 for actual fresh squeezed orange juice on a cruise ship, that was a tremendous bargain!

Now if they charged that for the normal orange flavored drink that is offered free of charge, that would be shocking.

No its a machine they feed actual oranges in and fresh squeezed i had rr package and it was included and it was awesome had 3 to 4 every morning

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ron

Personally, I wouldn't buy the fresh squeezed orange juice.

While pure fruit juice does contain a lot of vitamins, a whole piece of fresh fruit is almost always the better choice, more nutritious... and it's free!

One 8-oz. glass of fresh orange juice has close to 2.5 times the sugar and just one-third the fiber of a typical piece of fruit.

I witnessed the introduction of Devinly Decadence on Quantum. The chef would not let them serve the OJ from the WJ at that venue. She stated that that juice contained HFCS, High Fructose Corn Syrup and did not meet the standards of the venue. They worked it out and they had found a solution by day 3 or 4 of the maiden voyage.

One of the best perks of the suite breakfast area on the ships that have that is that the fresh squeezed OJ is standard.

I also think the ready poured juice tastes a bit watered down because I watched them fill the glasses and they started with glasses full of ice. So as it sits there awhile ice melts and it tastes more diluted. Just a thought

I was standing in a line up at a store when I spied an orange squeezer. I hadn't seen one in years. We had one when I was young. I thought about freshe squeezed orange juice on our 4 week adventure cruise so I bought one. Fast forward to our cruise. We would grab oranges from the buffet line and a knife to cut them and the next morning we would enjoy fresh squeezed orange juice on the balcony. It was wonderful. Now we take it with us every time we cruise. Just thought I would share this as info only since you were discussing fresh squeezed OJ?