Are the pullout sofa's comfortable. Compare to say Carnival or Royal.

luv2gonow

Hi,

I just booked my 1st princess cruise on the Emerald.

Excited for the shorter 7 day Scandanavia sailing July 2016. Hoping kids onboard.

Booked mini suite E731 which I have read here has a larger balcony and

minimal noise from Fusion but ends early.

So my mom will be sleeping on the pullout. I have never seen an actual pullout couch on a cruise. On Disney, Carnival and Royal the couch turns into a single bed.

Are these pullouts comfortable? As comfortable as the other lines?

Thanks

Kerri

My daughter prefers the pullout to a cabin that has a drop down. But that has more to do with her having her own "space". I have only seen and sat on the pull out and am pretty certain that I would have a tough time sleeping on one of those.

We were on the Star a month ago, but I would think it would be very similar..

It was fine for our 11 year old, but I laid on it, and there is no way I could sleep there. Besides the fact that it was thin, ours bowed towards the middle.

17141787081_4bd845c045_b.jpg

Edited by gnatz007

Hmmmmm. this is disappointing. Mom was quite happy with regular sofa on other cruises that just turned into a single bed.

But only sofabed I have ever seen comfortable was WDW they must have invented new type. No bars.

We will be 4 in a room with my daughter on top bunk.

She really wanted for us all to be in same room. But if bed is not comfortable

I can't see someone sleeping there for the week.

Might have to get a balcony and an inside:o

Kerri

Hmmmmm. this is disappointing. Mom was quite happy with regular sofa on other cruises that just turned into a single bed.

But only sofabed I have ever seen comfortable was WDW they must have invented new type. No bars.

We will be 4 in a room with my daughter on top bunk.

She really wanted for us all to be in same room. But if bed is not comfortable

I can't see someone sleeping there for the week.

Might have to get a balcony and an inside:o

Kerri

Sounds like the right decision to me if it's in your budget. We had E731 on the Emerald last year and loved it, especially the extra large balcony and bath tub (we booked it again on the Crown this July :D). However, between having 4 in the room and the uncomfortable sofa bed I'm guessing you'll be much more comfortable in two rooms, especially with two bathrooms.

the sofa in Royal's Deluxe Balconies is pretty good. It does not pull out; instead, it flips over in place so it does not take up floor space when used as a bed. The cushion is pretty thick.

If you stay in that mini, you would LOVE the balcony, they are huge!

But, it sounds like a balcony and an inside would work better for 4 people. You could have your own private space;) AND a bathroom. And your daughter and mother could have a nice inside (maybe across the hall) with their own bathroom.

Four people and one bathroom is not my idea of a vacation.

And you could all share the balcony.

Is the upper berth more comfortable? My 17 y.o. DD will be with us, she gets her choice of sofa, sofa bed, berth or floor! :p

Problems with both. Ask for a topper right away.

Had an upper on the Golden in a balcony. The mattress was ticked with plastic (similar to price tags) it was bumpy. Room Steward complained that a topper would make it difficult to close. Still got my topper. Didn't seem to be problems closing it. Bed was comfortable with the topper.

Sis had the sofa in a Grand minisuite. Camping without a pad would have been more comfortable. The mattress was beyond thin. The bed slats needed to be tightened. Another complaining room steward about getting a mattress pad (this did have to be removed to close the sofa). Every night Sis had to play 'find the bedding' as the bed was never fully remade. (We gave up complaining to the RS, never saw a supervisor. We wrote a scathing note. That's worse than taking off the tips.)

Hi,

Thanks

Kerri

A matter of personal choice. They may be comfortable to some people and uncomfortable to others.:)

Well contrary to almost everyone else we have had really good experiences of the sofa and top bunks in mini suites. August will be a 6th 14 night cruise in a mini suite and as always our daughters 17 and 21 will be using the extra beds.

We have never found the beds to be uncomfortable and the girls have always slept well in them. The only issue has been a lack of access to the balcony when the beds are out. The stewards have always fully made the beds before dinner and tidied them away the next morning. We have never felt cramped or had bathroom issues but we do all share one bathroom at home.

So for what it is worth we would definitely plump for E731 and to confirm this we have actually booked this cabin for our cruise on the Carribean in August.

Is the upper berth more comfortable? My 17 y.o. DD will be with us, she gets her choice of sofa, sofa bed, berth or floor! :p

I was on an upper berth for 12 nights (Ruby Princess) and even with the mattress topper they added, it was still uncomfortable and agitated the sciatica I was having at the time. Never took so much Advil in my life :(

The regular beds are not much better IMO.

This is my only major complaint about Princess.

Edited by MSMcDuffy

Hi,

I just booked my 1st princess cruise on the Emerald.

Excited for the shorter 7 day Scandanavia sailing July 2016. Hoping kids onboard.

Booked mini suite E731 which I have read here has a larger balcony and

minimal noise from Fusion but ends early.

So my mom will be sleeping on the pullout. I have never seen an actual pullout couch on a cruise. On Disney, Carnival and Royal the couch turns into a single bed.

Thanks

Kerri

No pullout sofa is comfortable. :eek:

I've done 5 nights on the sofa, no problem. (Caribbean) Will be doing 7 nights this year. (Regal). I am 5'7'', 130 lbs and 58 years young and the ONLY complaint I have is sometimes it feels a little short. My Mother is 84 and she offers to sleep there, but I like it next to the balcony!

I was on an upper berth for 12 nights (Ruby Princess) and even with the mattress topper they added, it was still uncomfortable and agitated the sciatica I was having at the time. Never took so much Advil in my life :(

The regular beds are not much better IMO.

This is my only major complaint about Princess.

I've slept in the top bunk before. The mattress itself was pretty similar to the regular Princess bed, which often isn't that great. (The Regal beds were comfortable, but on other cruises I really had a hard time sleeping on their mattresses.) Anyway the hard thing about the pulldown bunks is getting in and out of them, especially if you're no longer a kid. The ladder is kind of flimsy.

I've slept in the top bunk before. The mattress itself was pretty similar to the regular Princess bed, which often isn't that great. (The Regal beds were comfortable, but on other cruises I really had a hard time sleeping on their mattresses.) Anyway the hard thing about the pulldown bunks is getting in and out of them, especially if you're no longer a kid. The ladder is kind of flimsy.

I've been putting a pocket holder (on a magnetic hook) or suction cup basket near the upper. This is my nightstand. Only come down for one reason. ;).

The ladder rungs are very thin and grooved. They hurt my feet.

Edited by SadieN

Also, avoiding a collision between your head and the bunk when it was pulled down. It happened 3 times with us. :(

The smaller, and lighter you are, the more comfortable you will be. For kids or lightweight adults, it will be fine. For BIG adults, not so comfy.

Ah, then you must be a "BIG adult" and have slept on a pull-out. :rolleyes: