"The Sound of Music" activities -- How are they?

elycelynne

We just returned from the Coral Princess. They had the Sound of Music on MUTS one afternoon. There were about 6-8 people watching, however the afternoon when it was on, was very cold and windy. There very few people watching anything on MUTS for most of the cruise. We usually watch one or two movies per cruise and did not watch any this time.

The only thing we experienced was the same as the poster above... Playing in the evening on MUTS. I would have liked to have seen some trivia or something. Maybe next cruise.

We were so disappointed at the lack of ANYTHING Sound of Music related on our recent Hawaii cruise. We were looking forward to at least having the movie and were hoping that it would also be part of the pop choir. There was nothing. Not even a mention of it!:mad:

Just off the Grand - I got to be a part of the Sound of Music Pop Choir. That was fun - there were probably about 35-40 of us that joined in. We sang about six songs in the Piazza on our last sea day.

Unfortuntately they had the Sound of Music "Sing A Long" on MUTS on the last sea day from 1:30 - 3:30. It was chilly out on deck. Those of us who were in the pop choir were involved in our final rehearsal at 1:00 and then we had our performance at 2:30 that SAME day. :rolleyes: So I have no idea how many were actually out on deck watching MUTS. We did have a terrific turnout for our live performance. All the choir members received a pop choir pin and a glass of champagne at the end of the performance. I had fun!

I attended many of the Trivia events - they had nothing on the Sound of Music. Maybe this will come out later in season?

On the Emerald in mid-April they had the movie (no sing-a-long) in the Princess Theater on the last afternoon of the cruise.

o No sing-a-long

o No trivia

o No songs as part of the Pop Choir

I am currently on the Golden Princess and took part in the Pop Choir (which, because of having only two sea days on this seven-day cruise, is just a "rehearsal" or "fun sing" with no performance). The Pop Choir director said that HQ is just finishing the details on the SOM songs to be used for the Pop Choir, and the whole SOM thing would be introduced on the Golden's next longer cruise, which will be an Alaska cruise in a week or two. (Also said that it is really not "Pop" music, but the choir name will remain the same anyway....)

So it might be that other ships also have not yet started their SOM theme either.

Edited by QuilterGirl

On the Star Princess April 19 10-day Mexico cruise, they showed Sound of Music on the MUTS one afternoon.

The Pop Choir, led by Deputy Cruise Director John, performed Sound of Music songs, with many in the enthusiastic audience singing along, in the Piazza.

I'm not sure about whether there was a Sound of Music trivia session, or not.

We just returned from the Coral Princess. They had the Sound of Music on MUTS one afternoon. There were about 6-8 people watching, however the afternoon when it was on, was very cold and windy. There very few people watching anything on MUTS for most of the cruise. We usually watch one or two movies per cruise and did not watch any this time.

Same on the Ruby (just returned) with the exception of MUTS being very well attended. I did not notice any Sound of Music activities at all. Went to almost all the trivia games too and didn't hear any pertaining to the movie.

I was part of the Pop Choir on the Star 4/19-4/29. John said we were the first time on the Star to do the Sound of Music performance, and the second choir to perform fleet wide (Royal being the first, the previous week)

So I think they are just starting to roll out the SOM to the choir directors.

I was disappointed as well that there was no trivia, I would have enjoyed that.

Glad to hear our performance was well received. It was my first time singing in public, and we could only hear ourselves, could not tell whether anyone else was singing along.

I was part of the Pop Choir on the Star 4/19-4/29. John said we were the first time on the Star to do the Sound of Music performance, and the second choir to perform fleet wide (Royal being the first, the previous week)

So I think they are just starting to roll out the SOM to the choir directors.

I was disappointed as well that there was no trivia, I would have enjoyed that.

Glad to hear our performance was well received. It was my first time singing in public, and we could only hear ourselves, could not tell whether anyone else was singing along.

Which SOM songs were included?

Which SOM songs were included?

We sang:

The Sound of Music

16 going on 17

My Favorite Things

Do Re Mi

Edelweiss

So Long, Farewell

Do Re Mi was very shortened. John is an amazing choir director, he had some good ideas, and listened to and incorporated ideas from the group. The total concert was about 22 minutes (my DH recorded it) I am trying to figure out how to cut the video on my phone into individual song so I can upload it to you tube.

We also were on this cruise and I too saw only 6-8 people watching "The Sound of Music"

on the cold and windy deck. I do not understand why the cruise director and staff do not take into consideration the weather conditions of colder climate cruises and plan events accordingly. They were showing movies in the Princess Theatre and could have changed the showing to that location for a larger audience. If they, Princess, are going to make it a special tie-in 50th Anniversary event they should give the staff instructions for greater involvement and participation by the passengers on board and not just MUTS location. JMHO

Just returned from TA on the Royal (spent time in the UK afterwards). Sound of Music was shown on MUTS; available in stateroom. Pop choir did a great job on music-I heard sing along was well attended but do not know for sure. There was a trivia and some very obscure questions. I had to wonder if the team that got all correct might have heard them on previous cruise?

I saved them for our next cruise as I think they are a "canned" set of questions. What am I offered for the answers:p