Deck Chair Warnings Poolside

MGK

I just read a recent review for the Celebrity Summit. The writer mentions that the Pool Butler staff are now placing "warning" cards on unattended chairs after 30 minutes unattended. Apparently the warning cards say that the belongings will be removed to allow other guests to use said chair(s).

Has anyone else seen this new procedure in action? If this is true, I would say bravo finally. I am cruising in August, and last year I just ran out of patience with this issue. Sorry to beat a dead horse as they say, but this is my biggest complaint. :mad:

I just read a recent review for the Celebrity Summit. The writer mentions that the Pool Butler staff are now placing "warning" cards on unattended chairs after 30 minutes unattended. Apparently the warning cards say that the belongings will be removed to allow other guests to use said chair(s).

Has anyone else seen this new procedure in action? If this is true, I would say bravo finally. I am cruising in August, and last year I just ran out of patience with this issue. Sorry to beat a dead horse as they say, but this is my biggest complaint. :mad:

I saw that review. That review appeared a little "off", so I am not sure I even believe everything they wrote.

However, it would be WONDERFUL if they started doing that to EVERYONE (suite guests included) who had their stuff on chairs unattended (or abandoned) for over 30 minutes.

We also encountered the worst chair-hogging experience of any X cruise we've taken -- on Summit, last summer. It made what should have been a pleasant day at sea a rather stressful experience. We did talk to the manager of the pool area, and he promised to to something about it. But, a quick walk-through of the pool area and Solarium on the last sea day, proved that nothing had changed. Hope all of those hats, flip-flops, and paperback books enjoyed their day lounging in the sun, because the rest of us surely did not! :rolleyes:

This was in effect on the Eclipse TA. There were cards on the solarium beds before they were in use advising that personal items would be removed if left for 30 mins. The beds on deck were not in great demand so no need to enforce this rule. Slightly off subject but worth a mention is that they would only allow one seat to be saved in the shows. Not before time.

I returned from the Summit on Sunday ad I did not see one card on a lounger despite the fact that every single lounger in the Solarium was "occupied" with stuff but totally "unoccupied" by a human behind....and I a talking for hours and hours at a time.....

I saw that review. That review appeared a little "off", so I am not sure I even believe everything they wrote.

However, it would be WONDERFUL if they started doing that to EVERYONE (suite guests included) who had their stuff on chairs unattended (or abandoned) for over 30 minutes.

How on earth would they know whether items left behind on a chair belonged to a suite guest or not?

Also, I don't think this is necessarily a topic worth screaming about :D

Also, I don't think this is necessarily a topic worth screaming about

While I agree, based on CC, chair-hogging is right up there with starving children in Africa in terms of its importance in the grand scheme of things. :p

DW rises early, so we tend to be out and doing laps around the jogging track at 7 AM, watching the chair hogs. Every morning I threaten to throw their flip-flops, books, towels, etc. overboard and DW tells me to shut up. :)

Chair Hogs are, unfortunately, paying customers. X can't afford to annoy them, so no real action will be taken. Observing this kind of self-centered rudeness does a lot to prove that there's still some room for evolution to improve the human race. :(

Also, I don't think this is necessarily a topic worth screaming about :D

I wonder how many first-timers get put off cruising, either for life or on that particular cruise line, because they were never able to get a chair in a spot that suited them. Most cruise ships have plenty of chairs on upper decks in full sun and away from the pools, but poolside or shaded spots are harder to find, and not everyone wants to sit in full sun.

It is an issue that should be addressed by the cruise line staff, and possibly also by the cruise lines providing more shady spots.

On a recent cruise from Valparaiso to Ft Lauderdale, there was a family group of ten who saved 10 chairs by the pool in the sun AND 11 chairs in the shade (and then went off to the buffet). A group of us consolidated their towels and books (opening up 11 chairs). They were upset when they returned but it's hard to complain when you have a chair (and not two each). :-)

Edited by ComputerTravelGuy

On a recent cruise from Valparaiso to Ft Lauderdale, there was a family group of ten who saved 10 chairs by the pool in the sun AND 11 chairs in the shade (and then went off to the buffet). A group of us consolidated their towels and books (opening up 11 chairs). They were upset when they returned but it's hard to complain when you have a chair (and not two each). :-)

I love what you did. We do the same. Maybe it's the Philly girl in me, but if I see chairs hoarded for an hour or more, I take it upon myself to gather their belongings and set them aside close by. It has stirred up some irate passengers, but how could you care, when they return long afterward. After all, it doesn't have their name on it!!!

This was in effect on the Eclipse TA----Slightly off subject but worth a mention is that they would only allow one seat to be saved in the shows.

Are Celebrity themselves included in this. On our last cruise, 2 ROWS of seats were reserved in the theatre for Suite guests.

Are Celebrity themselves included in this. On our last cruise, 2 ROWS of seats were reserved in the theatre for Suite guests.

That is correct, it's a perk for Suite guests in the theater, but NOT regarding poolside or deck lounge chairts!

They do, however, release those reserved seats 10 minutes prior to the show. So, you can wait for the ones that won't be "claimed" and there usually are some.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

We were just on the Summit for the repositioning cruise and were delighted to see these cards laid out on chairs!!! The pool butlers were busy all the time straightening up, putting up towels and leaving these cards. It was great. I think just having the visible 'butlers' (their shirts say pool butler largely across their back) is a great deterrent! We were very happy with the Summit!

Suite guests do have reserved seating, however sometimes they open it up to others 15 minutes before the show, not just ten. We have been the guests flying from dinner to a show to have nothin saved anymore long before the show starts.

I read in another thread someone seemed to think they were saved all through the show, but this is not supposed to be the case.

I love what you did. We do the same. Maybe it's the Philly girl in me' date=' but if I see chairs hoarded for an hour or more, I take it upon myself to gather their belongings and set them aside close by. .... After all, it doesn't have their name on it!!![/quote']

I removed towels after an hour on a cruise in 2013 and was later called horrible names. It was in an unfamiliar language (used by the offending family) but I'm reasonable sure I was being called horrible names. :-)

But regardless of the nationality, it's amazing how entitled some people are. But I'm actually okay with Suite guests being given reserved theater seats (as long as they're freed up 10 minutes prior). I've never cruised in a Suite but understand the business reasons to cater to higher paying passengers.

I removed towels after an hour on a cruise in 2013 and was later called horrible names. It was in an unfamiliar language (used by the offending family) but I'm reasonable sure I was being called horrible names. :-

We sat on some loungers (2 of 6 )where the pool butler had just removed the towels.

A the group of women returned about 1 hr later and were talking about us in loud voices.

When we vacated the loungers to go to lunch, one of them took one of the seats. Her friend ( in an even louder voice) said, I wouldn't lie there, you'll get their germs!'

A day later, said woman arrived on the same tour as us in Dunedin. She started mouthing off yet again, saying' that's the man who took my seat.'

My DH kept his cool throughout.

Another passenger told her it was about time, who did she think she was, no one is allowed to reserve seats, by the pool, while you play bingo.

Edited by upwarduk

I have seen the rule applied on Princess in the past with the pool attendants taking some right abuse. Did it the one time myself and what looked like a normally decent women slapped my with here towel while the husband ran away. I actually burst out laughing, it was like a scene from a soap opera.