Emotional support on board Zuiderdam

rajkr74

We just completed our 22 day Adriatic/Mediterranean Dream cruise out of Rome. We had a wonderful cruise even though the ship was still being fitted with new cabins that were not completed by the time we got on board on 4-12-15. Great ports and as usual a wonderful staff from the senior staff to our room stewards.

Partially thru our cruise on 4-28-15 we had a message on our cabin phone stating that our son needed a call back to home in the USA because of an emergency. Not the type of message one wants on a cruise because it ran a couple of thoughts thru our heads as what might be wrong. The Zuiderdam front desk staff dialed our son’s phone (free) and stood by us as we received some very bad news. Our son told us Joyce’s mother had died that morning. We were in shock and overwhelmed and the loss was unexpected. Julie from the front desk was there as we received this bad news and stayed with us as we got what information was available from our son. We were told by family to finish the cruise and not come home because there was nothing we could do and Joyce’s mom would have wanted us to continue the cruise.

We had set up the CC Meet & Great for our roll call and met some fabulous people. These fellow cruisers, after finding out about our loss, were there for us every day with comfort and hugs…very much needed. We were taken back by all the support from people we just met, amazing. I can’t say enough about everyone from our CC roll call group who supported us during the remaining portion of the cruise.

Every time we saw someone from the front desk, after that evening call, always wanted to know how we were doing and was there anything they could do for us. HAL also provided us with free calls to home to see how things were doing in the days following the phone call. The HAL staff even delivered a small flower basket and card with their condolences…..pretty special. We had many HAL staff that heard of our loss that all provided condolences also.

We are finishing up 6 days in Rome after the cruise and then fly home on 5-12-15. We will have many things to take care when we get home. We have a very supporting family which include our daughter and son and things should get better.

We wanted to pass on how very special Holland America Staff on the Zuiderdam were and how very special the CC members that we met on board also were. Not sure we could have handled this trying time without all their help.

Rick & Joyce

Please accept our condolences on the loss of your mother and mother-in-law. Nobody can ever be prepared for such a loss. I am very impressed by the response from HAL and your roll call. Prayers to you.

So sorry for your loss.

I know the feeling of getting a call while cruising. While on the Zuiderdam a couple of years ago, I got a message in the cabin to "call your brother." My mother had been very seriously ill and I feared the worst. Turns out she had fallen and broke her hip and wrist and was having surgery. The front desk let us call home for free and they were there as the news came from my brother. They could not have been nicer and I really appreciated it.

I am so sorry for your loss. We recently sailed on the Zuiderdam, and I agree that the staff and crew were amazing. I am so happy that they were a comforting presence for you during those difficult days.

<snip>

We wanted to pass on how very special Holland America Staff on the Zuiderdam were and how very special the CC members that we met on board also were. Not sure we could have handled this trying time without all their help.

Rick & Joyce

I am very sorry for your loss and imagine how upsetting to not only get such news but while on a cruise in Europe.

The caring and assistance from HAL's staff is exactly the reason HAL has been our 'cruise line of choice' for over 20 years. It is all about the PEOPLE of HAL. Most ships are beautiful in one way or another, most ships have competent crews but HAL crews (IMO) are the best!!!

Also happy to hear your fellow CC'ers aboard were so caring.

My condolences.

Oh my so sorry to hear this. All our prayers.

Very happy though to hear about the support from your roll call and the staff onboard. Very, very nice and while nothing can console anyone, an experience like this certainly can only help.

First - so sorry to hear about your mother , my positive thoughts are with you.

Second - thank you of taking the time to write about your shipboard experience. People are so quick to write complaints when they are not treated the way they think they should be, it is so nice to hear the positive side of such experiences. From what I have seen on "longer cruises" your experience is more typical of HAL's response. Thanks for writing about it, and again my condolences for your mom.

We had a very similar experience last December on the Rijndam, and totally agree with you. The support and understanding was wonderful, and they truly went beyond the extra mile to be of assistance. Kudos to HAL staff! And our sincere condolences to you.

I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how you felt, hearing the news.

Wonderful, though, that the HAL staff was so helpful and supportive, and that your fellow cruisers reached out to help and comfort as they could.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am so glad that caring people were there to assist you during this difficult time.

It made me think of all the crew on the ships that have experienced loss while working far from home. I am so glad that there are wonderful people out there among us.

Thank you for sharing.

4boysnana