cruise priceing

1partsman

I reserved a balcony cabin nov. 2014 for a june sailing. now one month before departure cruise price is one third the price I paid. I feel they have stolen 2,000 dollars from me. since cruise was paid for I cannot cancel and rebook at lower price. do I have any recourse?

thank you

You could ask if they will give you a reduction or OBC

It is like Christmas shopping you just know just before or just after the holiday prices will drop bust sizes & colour choice will be limited ;)

Edited by LHT28

If the price had gone up would you expect them to want the additional cost? It's just a chance you take.

Isn't "Stole" a little extreme? You must have been happy with the price when you booked.

Agree with both of these comments. Lots of things change prices after you buy- airfares, cars, houses, on and on. Sometimes you can get refunds, but sometimes you don't. Call the cruise line (or your travel agent). Many cruise lines will give you an upgrade, or a OBC.

The million dollar question- if the cruise fare had gone up $2000, would you have stepped up and paid the increased fare?

This happens a lot, that's why some people don't book cruises so early.

There are advantages to booking as early as you did though: better choice of cabins, possible OBC for the price drop, lower airfares to port, easier to get time of work...

Good rule of thumb is to book at the rate you are happy with. If the cruise line does not allow for OBC of price drops, then make a point not to check prices ever again.

You have to get used to pricing on an inventory-controlled system. Prices can fluctuate. Most cruise lines for US bookings will honor lower prices until final payment comes due (generally 90 days out). Then prices are locked in. Since the cruiseline costs are basically the same whether there are 100 empty cabins or if they are sold out, in the last few months they may discount prices to get some fares as well as passengers who will be shopping, tipping, and buying excursions.

With all of that said, many people still buy early (like yourself). You can get a cabin you want. You can make all other plans (airfare, vacation days at work, etc) knowing exactly which cruise you will be on. Those who wait for last minute fares know that a) they may never come for a specific sailing because it sold well or b) the rest of the costs associated with the trip have gone up.

Basically a cruise is kind of like a flight ... everyone onboard probably paid a different price to get to the exact same place. Some have better seats that probably cost less due to a variety of circumstances. It doesn't really help to get upset about it ... others are in different circumstances that allowed them to have better pricing. If you fill yourself with anger now, you will not enjoy your trip as you'll spend the whole time stewing.

One of my early-learned and closest held rules of cruising ... once onboard, I do not talk about pricing of the specific cruise I'm on because someone always paid less and it is very easy for people to get upset. I've had people boast to me about how cheap their inside cabin was when I paid less for a balcony. I've had others who whipped my price with their last minute rate. At some point, you just have to move past money and enjoy the vacation.

I reserved a balcony cabin nov. 2014 for a june sailing. now one month before departure cruise price is one third the price I paid. I feel they have stolen 2,000 dollars from me. since cruise was paid for I cannot cancel and rebook at lower price. do I have any recourse?

thank you

This close to sailing, any leftover cabins "on sale" are usually the ones nobody wanted for some reason or another. Is lowest price more important than picking your own cabin and securing your spot on the ship? Before you answer yes, think if you would really be happy with not getting a guarantee assignment until a few days before sailing which is what these are. We had a resent thread with somebody's constant complaints of no cabin assignment yet.

Sometimes there are last minute deals. But to wait - especially during peak summer season - is to risk the ship selling out, prices going up, only crappy locations left, and airfare cancelling out any savings.

Do you feel the same way if/when you find out that someone paid considerably less for their seat on the same plane as you? Or paid less for their hotel room.

Would you be willing to pay $2,000. More for your cruise if the sell price increased a month before your departure date?

It is all about supply,demand,and pricing.

Edited by iancal

thank you

First off, don't believe the price of a balcony cabin was cut by two thirds. This means a $1000 cabin is now $333.33. Don't believe it.

Why don't you tell us what ship and cabin number and what you pid.