Is it enough to make you stop cruising?

We spoke to a few people from Australia on our last RCI who had the gratuties removed from there account and they had no intention of giving the crew tips.

Maybe Royal are trying to makeup for the people that don't tip.

Edited by cruisine21

RCI - Why not put the prices up to make cruises all inclusive of tips in Australian waters for locals and overseas guests, as that is our custom?

When ships are cruising overseas have tips additional, being the local custom (with service charges added to account each day).

When I work out whether a cruise is good value, I add on expected tips to the basic cruise cost and divide by number of days.

When I work out whether a cruise is good value, I add on expected tips to the basic cruise cost and divide by number of days.

I've now learnt to add on the cost of drinks per day as well. No point in getting a fare bargain if it's going to cost you an arm and a leg for drinks.

And then there are the extra-cost restaurants to factor in but, for me, that wouldn't be a daily extra, and not a necessity to my enjoyment of the cruise.

But no lobster in the MDR without extra cost doesn't make me happy! :mad:

RCI - Why not put the prices up to make cruises all inclusive of tips in Australian waters for locals and overseas guests, as that is our custom?

When ships are cruising overseas have tips additional, being the local custom (with service charges added to account each day).

I agree that all pricing for Australian based cruises should automatically include gratuities. There shouldn't even be an option to remove them, just have them as part of the fare and don't even refer to them as gratuities. There is so much confusion for clients (who may not necessarily up with the whole prepaid grats thing) who shop around for pricing. Some agents include grats in their pricing, others don't.

Because the suggested prices for gratuities are unreasonable.

The following is the suggested amount for gratuities on Fred.Olsen Cruises, ships which cruise out of the U.K., which is $7.81 Aus, at today's rate of exchange -

Reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder.

However, they're comparable to the market. UK cruise lines are different and tips are lower there, likely as it's not the British standard either.

Comparing to their US peers, HAL, Princess and NCL.

NCL are $12.95 as of Feb., Princess are $11.50 and HAL are $11.50 (the last two are the old rate so would expect they would be rising in the future) - all USD.

It doesn't worry me, it's a small additional amount on the average cruise.

Everything goes up, regardless of what it is, so I don't expect cruises to be any different.

I will still cruise with Royal as their ships offer more variety onboard IMO.

We cruised Celebrity Solstice a few weeks back & really enjoyed her as well, & because we are diamond with Royal we received reciprocal status on Celebrity which helps with onboard costs.

It's first world problems as they say. :)

But would it stop you cruising with certain cruise lines?

I will certainly think twice about cruising with RCI again unless they have an absolute must-do itinerary at a bargain price. It's all about getting the best deal for your money in my opinion, and RCL isn't providing a better experience for the overall higher prices.

Possibly, but then I choose the cruises on itinerary and timing before I even look at pricing. :D

That said, sometimes a bargain may tempt me to break this rule and just look at price and timing.

It doesn't worry me, it's a small additional amount on the average cruise.

Everything goes up, regardless of what it is, so I don't expect cruises to be any different.

I will still cruise with Royal as their ships offer more variety onboard IMO.

We cruised Celebrity Solstice a few weeks back & really enjoyed her as well, & because we are diamond with Royal we received reciprocal status on Celebrity which helps with onboard costs.

It's first world problems as they say. :)

So true, when you consider the prices are almost the same prices as ten years ago, it is still a great way to holiday.:D

I've now learnt to add on the cost of drinks per day as well. No point in getting a fare bargain if it's going to cost you an arm and a leg for drinks.

And then there are the extra-cost restaurants to factor in but, for me, that wouldn't be a daily extra, and not a necessity to my enjoyment of the cruise.

But no lobster in the MDR without extra cost doesn't make me happy! :mad:

I'm the same, I look at the whole price [not that $ is the be all and end all] so cruise, tips if not included, extra tips, drinks [package or what we are likely to buy] spa and hairdo for HER shore tours [or will we just bum around]. Specialty restaurant, [for us maybe once every week or two, certainly not every night next cruise includes DW's birthday so maybe ultimate balcony that night] a bit of retail therapy [new handbag or shoes for her camera gear or pen for me]. New clothes SHE will want/need before we go.

So true, when you consider the prices are almost the same prices as ten years ago, it is still a great way to holiday.:D

2004 we did 8 days Tassie with Princess balcony, last year almost exact same itinerary with Celebrity, balcony last year cost fractionally less than 10 years earlier, tell me what other item that has happened with.

And whilst some prefer Princess and other prefer Celebrity anyone who is being fair dinkum will admit they are more alike than different.

I'm the same, I look at the whole price [not that $ is the be all and end all] so cruise, tips if not included, extra tips, drinks [package or what we are likely to buy] spa and hairdo for HER shore tours [or will we just bum around]. Specialty restaurant, [for us maybe once every week or two, certainly not every night next cruise includes DW's birthday so maybe ultimate balcony that night] a bit of retail therapy [new handbag or shoes for her camera gear or pen for me]. New clothes SHE will want/need before we go.

One thing I wouldn't waste money on during a cruise is spa treatments. They are ridiculously expensive, and I've heard horror stories about the constant product pushing during treatments. The last thing I want when I'm trying to relax during a facial is someone yabbering on non-stop about the products. This happened to me once at a big name spa attached to a resort hotel in the Hunter Valley. I came out of that facial angry instead of relaxed.

But I have my pamper session with my regular beautician the day before I board the ship. It costs half the price of onboard treatments.

I rarely buy stuff onboard either although I did pick up a nice rain jacket on sale (50% off) during our last cruise. It was ridiculously cheap compared with similar quality jackets in Australia.

One thing I wouldn't waste money on during a cruise is spa treatments. They are ridiculously expensive, and I've heard horror stories about the constant product pushing during treatments. The last thing I want when I'm trying to relax during a facial is someone yabbering on non-stop about the products. This happened to me once at a big name spa attached to a resort hotel in the Hunter Valley. I came out of that facial angry instead of relaxed.

But I have my pamper session with my regular beautician the day before I board the ship. It costs half the price of onboard treatments.

I rarely buy stuff onboard either although I did pick up a nice rain jacket on sale (50% off) during our last cruise. It was ridiculously cheap compared with similar quality jackets in Australia.

DW has never had that problem, but then she is pretty forceful in the "NO" department.

The stuff I'm talking about retail therapy isn't on board it's in port. I KNOW SHE is eying the Fremantle Markets :eek: where they look to have some leather stalls so I see a handbag or three on the horizon.

I thought you said in another post your wife was the obsessive one?! :D;)

DW has never had that problem, but then she is pretty forceful in the "NO" department.

The stuff I'm talking about retail therapy isn't on board it's in port. I KNOW SHE is eying the Fremantle Markets :eek: where they look to have some leather stalls so I see a handbag or three on the horizon.

Ahhh! Now I understand ;) I'm eyeing the Salamanca markets in Hobart for our cruise. I was rapt when I discovered our stop there was on a Saturday.

Ahhh! Now I understand ;) I'm eyeing the Salamanca markets in Hobart for our cruise. I was rapt when I discovered our stop there was on a Saturday.

December cruise

Depart Monday "Hey lets go down Sunday stay overnight, by the way the Rocks markets are on on Sunday". DD comes too :eek:.

Wednesday meet DIL in Melbourne, where will we meet, "Oh lets make it the markets".

Saturday Hobart Salamanca.:eek::eek::eek:

December cruise

Depart Monday "Hey lets go down Sunday stay overnight, by the way the Rocks markets are on on Sunday". DD comes too :eek:.

Wednesday meet DIL in Melbourne, where will we meet, "Oh lets make it the markets".

Saturday Hobart Salamanca.:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe you should open a stall at all 3 markets and offload some second hand stuff.:D

Maybe you should open a stall at all 3 markets and offload some second hand stuff.:D

Well I know herself says she has about 115 kg of ugly rubbish she wants to get rid of.

Wonder what she could possibly be talking about.

I don't know, but more importantly can she sell it.:rolleyes:

Personally I reckon she should have no problems at all it's such a nice package, but if she waits till November there might be a bit more to sell after a month of the good life.

Personally I reckon she should have no problems at all it's such a nice package, but if she waits till November there might be a bit more to sell after a month of the good life.

It is always best to pick the time to sell when the market is up.:D

Well we all like a nice package;)......and if there is bit more in November, definately a bargain for someone:p:p:p I would tell her to wait, but she may want to keep it by then!!!

Chez

We will continue to cruise with Royal. I know Princess (and others) includes its tips in its fare. It would be interesting to see their breakdown.

Is it not the case that only the Australian based ships don't have "added" grats?

Cheers

Di