Is it enough to make you stop cruising?

US cruisers have received a mailblast about the gratuities change now.

Has anyone received an email notification here for Australian bookings? I haven't for my booking.

No, I haven't and we have a few booked. It will be interesting to hear what people have to say when we board the Legend on the 24th.

Cheers

Di

US cruisers have received a mailblast about the gratuities change now.

Has anyone received an email notification here for Australian bookings? I haven't for my booking.

Have two booked, Voyager and Explorer, no email.

Although I did notice two different prices for speciality dining when I go into the booking, Voyager being about $10 more and Voyager is only showing 3 drink packages to purchase. Both bookings are showing in AUD.

So inconsistent. Had I not got the cruises at a cheap price we would have cancelled as we were not impressed with our recent Radiance cruise and service.

Don't mind paying the gratuities if I am getting service.

Chez

Edited by cheznandy

I just wish they would change the name from 'gratuities' to 'service charge' and then a lot of people wouldn't get so hung up about it.

Do you really think so :confused:.

What amazes me is how uptight some people get about OTHER peoples tipping.

Do you really think so :confused:.

What amazes me is how uptight some people get about OTHER peoples tipping.

The point I was trying to make is when it is a tax, levy or service charge most people just pay it and that is that, but when it is a gratuity they get upset. Most people would not begrudge the crew their wage or part of it, but will balk at paying a tip. I think they should call the 'gratuity' what it really is and that is a service charge to supplement the crew's wages and avoiding company tax.

I just wish they would change the name from 'gratuities' to 'service charge' and then a lot of people wouldn't get so hung up about it.

I agree the extra charges are not tips or gratuities as most dictionary's will confirm.

They should give wonderful staff the wages they deserve and not make it look like charity:mad: and leave us to give that little extra as genuine tips for those that make our cruises extra special.:)

No, I haven't and we have a few booked. It will be interesting to hear what people have to say when we board the Legend on the 24th.

Cheers

Di

24th May you'll still be fine as the new tips only increase for cruises from July 1.

I agree the extra charges are not tips or gratuities as most dictionary's will confirm.

They should give wonderful staff the wages they deserve and not make it look like charity:mad: and leave us to give that little extra as genuine tips for those that make our cruises extra special.:)

There are plenty of staff that do that.:D

Doesn't concern me at all, I'll just factor it in to the total cost and compare it as an overall cost to other cruise lines. If the total pricing with tips is more than the competitor e.g. RCCL/ Carnival or Celebrity/Princess will choose go with the more valuable option, that I think offers more for my money!

Want to know something else bizarre with tipping?

On Celebrity Solstice 8 night cruise departing 26th November pre-paid grats for two is total $169.

On Explorer of the Seas 8 night cruise departing 16th December pre-paid grats for two is total $218.10.

Both cruise lines have the same recommended gratuity amounts (12USD pppd for standard rooms), just seems like Celebrity is using a much more favourable exchange rate than RCCL is!!

It actually works out far cheaper to pre pay tips for Solstice at the moment given the current exchange, for RCCL it's pretty much a wash whether you pre-pay in AUD or USD on board.

I have been on RCL, Princess and Celebrity. Celebrity is certainly a notch above RCL and I prefer Celebrity over Princess.

I prepaid my August gratuities because the exchange rate offered by Celebrity was around $50 cheaper than if I had paid in USD on the ship.

Edited by Pushka

On Explorer of the Seas 8 night cruise departing 16th December pre-paid grats for two is total $218.10.

Both cruise lines have the same recommended gratuity amounts (12USD pppd for standard rooms), just seems like Celebrity is using a much more favourable exchange rate than RCCL is!!

It actually works out far cheaper to pre pay tips for Solstice at the moment given the current exchange, for RCCL it's pretty much a wash whether you pre-pay in AUD or USD on board.

Seems like you're still ahead with RCL.

8 x 12 = US96

96/109.05 (218.1/2) = 0.88. That's a far better rate than the current mid-rate, let alone after conversion costs.

By way of comparison, the rate at regular conversion is more like $240.

Plus if you wait til onboard, you'll be paying at the new rate, so comes to about $260 assuming the same exchange rate then. Not a huge amount, but still ~$40 saving.

Plus if you wait til onboard, you'll be paying at the new rate, so comes to about $260 assuming the same exchange rate then. Not a huge amount, but still ~$40 saving.

No-one knows what the rate of exchange will be on 16/12.

No-one knows what the rate of exchange will be on 16/12.

Thats where I was lucky. Sailing in under 80 days.

I calculated my tips to be around $442 AUD if I paid on board (under the old rate) and $478 with this increase on July 1 (sail Aug 1) but we paid $369 AUD upfront.

Edited by Pushka

We normally cruise 'select dining' so prepaid gratuities (service charge) is the norm. It is always just part of the 'total cruise package' of expenses for us when deciding if we should do a particular cruise.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Doesn't concern me at all, I'll just factor it in to the total cost and compare it as an overall cost to other cruise lines. If the total pricing with tips is more than the competitor e.g. RCCL/ Carnival or Celebrity/Princess will choose go with the more valuable option, that I think offers more for my money!

Want to know something else bizarre with tipping?

On Celebrity Solstice 8 night cruise departing 26th November pre-paid grats for two is total $169.

Something more than exchange rates is occurring here, 8 nights x $12 USD by 2 people = $192 USD.:confused:

Book those Celebrity cruises.:D

I know. My comment was that it is impossible to know, otherwise we'd all be gambling on the currency.

Don't we do that anyway, sometimes we hold off and sometimes we pay in full as we gamble on exchange rates' movement.

Edited by MicCanberra

Don't we do that anyway, sometimes we hold off and sometimes we pay in full as we gamble on exchange rates' movement.

Yes, but only at little risk usually.

I won't commit to an early booking where the fine print says amount owing, which is in $US can be varied.

Edited by MMDown Under

Re "Is it Enough to Make You Stop Cruising" -

Found myself making a direct comparison between a planned B2B cruise over Christmas and a much loved music festival. Leaning towards the latter, much to my initial surprise. Loads of fun and much better value.

Yes, but only at little risk usually.

I won't commit to an early booking where the fine print says amount owing, which is in $US can be varied.

If we feel the AUD may go down significantly (more than a few cents) between the time of a potential booking and the cruise then we will weigh up the costs of paying it in full in advance or waiting until final payment.