Language Barriers at Trad Dining Tables?

Chunder Worthy

We're from the USA and are fluent only in English. Since we noted on our Cruise Personalizer that we are from the US, I'd imagine Princess will take into consideration our language when assigning tables (on our upcoming 2-week Med cruise), but am not sure.

Obviously we'd like to converse with as many of our tablemates as possible other than to say "hello." Would they assign folks to our table who are likely to speak language languages that we would not understand, e.g., French, Italian or , uh, Australian? (hehe hehehee - kidding on that last one, kinda) ;)

Just wondering how it works. Thanks!

I'm not sure how it's done, but I have always had English-speaking table mates.

We have not always had english speaking tablemates. Have had French and Spanish, but we all knew enough of the other languages that it made it an enjoyable experience. Some we still keep in touch with.

Hmm, that makes me wonder what the nationality percentages would actually be on the Emerald Princess for my Med cruise... I'm thinking I can find out some data like that in a Google search; but if anybody has an educated guess, I'm happy to listen.

We usually have tables for two for dinner. However, even at breakfast and lunch, we have found that most people we have visited with from other countries have a good command of English. It's us poor U.S. citizens who weren't taught another language in school:(.

Edited by eandj

on another cruise line I was once placed at a table with a family of spanish only speakers. the first meal was such a strain for everyone, that I spoke to the Maitre D and was reassigned by the next meal. I'm sure Princess would be equally accommodating if you felt uncomfortable.

They do make an effort, but they won't always know the fluency of everyone boarding in different languages.

If you are at a table where communication is an issue you can request to be reseated... It's entirely possible someone else is looking for that particular language...

I am certain that language where known will be the top priority with shared tables allocations in the MDR at least for fixed dining Anytime Dining will not be as important but still a consideration.

If you share tables in MDR for ad hoc lunches and breakfasts it will vary a lot daily. I remember sailing out of Copenhagen roundtrip and sharing a table with eight people who all spoke Swedish. This is of course the one meal, however they did know a little English.

This issue is not much of a problem is in my experience.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi All

Have had issues a few times and moved, to new tables,

been at a table with Brazilians, and some others may be Hungarian, any way no body was able to speak to each other, said names and was about it,

when waiter came, he called a few other waiters to try understand what was being ordered,

last cruise we were with Swedish folks their English was very good, there understanding of Scottish not so good, my understanding of Swedish is about three words.

yours Shogun

We did a Princess Med. cruise and found that most passengers were from the US. You will find that English is spoken/learned as a second language in most countries (unlike the United States). I'm sure you will have no problems communicating with other passengers. Same when you go ashore.

We're from the USA and are fluent only in English. Since we noted on our Cruise Personalizer that we are from the US, I'd imagine Princess will take into consideration our language when assigning tables (on our upcoming 2-week Med cruise), but am not sure.

Obviously we'd like to converse with as many of our tablemates as possible other than to say "hello." Would they assign folks to our table who are likely to speak language languages that we would not understand, e.g., French, Italian or , uh, Australian? (hehe hehehee - kidding on that last one, kinda) ;)

Fair point!

We have a solution when on Princess, by employing a translator for all dialects north of Watford. ;)

We usually have tables for two for dinner. However, even at breakfast and lunch, we have found that most people we have visited with from other countries have a good command of English. It's us poor U.S. citizens who weren't taught another language in school:(.

That seems to be so true. In fact, I used to work for a woman who grew up (her first 18 years) in Germany. Her native language is German, but her command of English is excellent. Her grammar is better than about 60 per cent of the native Americans/British/Australians who post on Cruise Critic.

On one cruise, our tablemates were from England and Australia. Couldn't understand much of what the Aussie gent said, but the British couple helped if I didn't get something. But they were all nice so it was a pleasant experience.

On my last cruise, I was sitting in the Horizon court at a back table for lunch and a group of Russian (I think) women asked if they can join my table, and of course, I welcomed them. They were speaking their language to each other, but no trouble for me as I had my crossword puzzle magazine with me.

on another cruise line I was once placed at a table with a family of spanish only speakers. the first meal was such a strain for everyone, that I spoke to the Maitre D and was reassigned by the next meal. I'm sure Princess would be equally accommodating if you felt uncomfortable.

On a Diamond P. cruise many years ago our tablemates were both deaf and unable to speak. We know no sign language so dinner was very strained. If there had been more people at the table it might have been a little better.

We have never encountered a truly unworkable situation...we've had some fun and been in situations where everyone made a real effort to be able to communicate. Once, we were at a table where the majority of diners spoke Spanish as their first language. Luckily the teenagers were fluent in both English and Spanish and were delighted to provide translations and facilitate the conversation.

One time we had as table mates two very delightful and elderly ladies from Mexico who spoke about as much English as I do Spanish--very, very little. The other couple were from Texas and very country, but nice. Unfortunately they were only there two nights because he had a stroke on board--he came back the last night. Communication was difficult, but we tried hard.

On a cruise out of San Juan there were many, many Spanish speaking people, obviously. We were doing Anytime dining and as soon as people realized we didn't speak Spanish they made every effort to speak in English. So nice!

We've had wonderful luck with people who speak other languages being so accommodating to us and making sure we are included in the conversation.

We were once on an Egyptian tour with an Australian couple who were so much fun. Unfortunately I could only understand about a third of what they were saying, especially the man.

We have an answer to that, don't let POMs into Australia:D:D

I've moved all over the U.S. as a child and attended many different schools. Never once did I not see a variety of languages offered.

My husband, an ABC, (American born Chinese) speaks almost no Chinese yet having grown up in California, where there is a large Spanish-speaking population, he chose Spanish as his 2nd language in school and even took it throughout his years at UCLA. Now when we travel where Spanish is spoken, he is able to converse casually with most anyone. I do admit that there are some who find it interesting to see a tall Asian man speaking Spanish.