Staying onboard the night before a cruise - tell me my friend is wrong!

catwoman6226

They often do these in ports that have a lot to see and do.

We did this in Quebec. We still arrived 2 days early to spend time in the city at a hotel. We embarked the cruise and spent the night in port and had another day to explore the city. These were Day 1 and Day 2 of the cruise.

This is also very common in River Cruises. I did this in St. Petersburg, I think we spent 3-4 nights before the ship left the pier but we checked in on Day 1 of the cruise.

Edited by Coral

what she means is the first night of the cruise is actually docked in whichever port you are using so eg if you embark on 16th in Montreal at noon you don,t set sail until 4pm 17th so technically she is correct but worded differently

this happens on the Canada / new England cruises

Just like we are about to do on a river cruise

we embark and have that whole evening and all day the next day in Amsterdam

You're right.

Here's an example:

A 17-night trans-Atlantic cruise to Ft. Lauderdale embarking in Venice. You book and pay for 17 nights. However, you board day 1, stay overnight on the ship and the ship sails the afternoon/evening of day 2. You've booked and paid for that night onboard. It's not a "free" night.

The friend is not full of baloney but what they are naive about is that they have booked and paid for that night onboard. It's not a free night onboard. They would have had a cruise card, bought drinks, dined in the dining room or buffet, etc. They paid for the night.

Pam...seriously...

You should start your own blog..."Pam's Patter"

It would be the go to forum for all things Princess because you are our guru! :)

How can it be Day 1 of the cruise if everybody on the previous cruise still sleeps and eats on the ship? That leaves little or no room for the next group of people.

The passengers from the previous cruise are off the ship by mid-morning and the next group of cruisers board around lunchtime. No rest for the crew!

We started one cruise with an overnight in Venice and another ended with an overnight in Barcelona. These cruises that have an overnight are great.:)

How can it be Day 1 of the cruise if everybody on the previous cruise still sleeps and eats on the ship? That leaves little or no room for the next group of people.
When we did this in Quebec, the previous passengers disembarked on Saturday morning and we embarked on Saturday afternoon. Saturday night was technically the first night of our cruise, although the ship was still docked in Quebec. The next day after breakfast, we were able to walk off the ship and do more touring in Quebec. The ship also had excursions that passengers could book. We had to be back on board by 3 p.m. for a 4 p.m. sailaway. I highly recommend this itinerary.

You're right.

Here's an example:

A 17-night trans-Atlantic cruise to Ft. Lauderdale embarking in Venice. You book and pay for 17 nights. However, you board day 1, stay overnight on the ship and the ship sails the afternoon/evening of day 2. You've booked and paid for that night onboard. It's not a "free" night.

The friend is not full of baloney but what they are naive about is that they have booked and paid for that night onboard. It's not a free night onboard. They would have had a cruise card, bought drinks, dined in the dining room or buffet, etc. They paid for the night.

And this is a blessing for those us flying into venice from the west coast...impossible almost to get to venice by 5pm the usual time of most cruise sailings so this way, we arrived, boarded, slept and were up to watch the saili away ?8 am...perfect.

You're right.

Here's an example:

Blogger Blogger Blogger Blogger. Do it Pam!!!

Sis and I are doing a 14 night Canada and Colonial America Quebec-Houston on the CB this fall. The itinerary begins w an overnight in Quebec.

Is one restricted to specific boarding hours or is it open embarkation for 36 hours?

Yes its part of the cruise.......

I never said anything about pre cruise. Its been done some on cruises for a long time, nothing new. ;)

The OP suggested that staying on the ship could save hotel costs.

I have done this on the Quebec City to NYC New England 10 Day Cruise with the first night in Quebec City and also on our Barcelona Spain to Venice Italy 12 day cruise with the over night in Venice. Both were excellent cruises for this very reason. The first cruise was on the Crown and the second was on the Ruby in the same PH Suite on the Aloha deck on the rear of the ship.

OP here - to be clear, I wasn't suggesting anything - my friend thought it would save on hotel costs - I was quite sure it was not an option at all, particularly on this cruise.

and again thanks for all the responses - I definitely learned something new the past few days.

Blogger Blogger Blogger Blogger. Do it Pam!!!
Been there, done that, sounds like "work," a dreaded 4-letter word. :)

All kidding aside, I put together a presentation a couple of years ago, "Online Community Tips & Tricks" that I've given on a couple of cruises.

Been there, done that, sounds like "work," a dreaded 4-letter word. :)

All kidding aside, I put together a presentation a couple of years ago, "Online Community Tips & Tricks" that I've given on a couple of cruises.

And we were lucky to attend one of your very informative & useful presentations...Mahalo Pam! :D

I read this thread when it began but everyone had already answered the question so didn't comment...it's surprising to me that it's still going after the simple answers were provided. ;)

You're right.

Here's an example:

Thanks Pam :) . Since I'm already off topic... on the " I wish Princess would" thread, I made sure that I mentionned more confortable balcony furniture , my effort to make your cruises better ;)

Edited by Sailingpeace

Yes it's true.. Sort of.. We did the New England cruise last year out of Quebec. The first night IS spent in port. Same thing when w cruised Tahiti. The first night was spent in port..

Ditto here . . . . Tahiti cruise, first night stayed in port. Upcoming New England cruise the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Our cruise in February has the same type schedule. We board in Buenos Aires on Day 1, overnight there, and then depart the evening of Day 2. For anyone who has taken this type of cruise, when will the muster drill occur, Day 1 or 2, and at what time?

Our cruise in February has the same type schedule. We board in Buenos Aires on Day 1, overnight there, and then depart the evening of Day 2. For anyone who has taken this type of cruise, when will the muster drill occur, Day 1 or 2, and at what time?

When we overnighted in March 2014 on the Golden in BA, the muster drill was on the 2nd day at 5:15pm with "all aboard" at 5:30 & sailed at 6:00.