Auto train from dc to florida

mamaofami

My friend in NJ and his DW took auto train a number of times and found it satisfactory. They always took a sleeper seating and 'managed' well. They used to comment it wasn't always on time but they left in plenty of time to arrive to FLL, spend some days there and then board their ship.

You do need to reserve a bit in advance as it does book up.

We drove from home to Lorton, Virginia where the train leaves, in 2009. We were told NOT to take the roomette as there is no room once the beds are down. So we saved a lot of money and booked 4 coach seats. It was a great adventure for the children and a great way to get your vehicle to Florida.

The coach seats tip back with a foot rest that comes out, like a Lazy-boy chair.

The only problem we had was a woman who had to voice her every thought. She was loud and constant. She tended to be rude as well. But after we got off the train we never had to see her again. Thank goodness for small mercies! ;)

Have taken it many times. Sure beats I95. Not sure what's prompting the question, but I assume it's to go to the port in FLL. We always get a roomette which allows at least a little sleep lying down. You'll get a ok dinner, and a continental breakfast. It's kinda fun watching the world go by from your chair without the stress of driving. Not sure where you live, but it is much easier than driving. It is more expensive north to south in the winter time than south to north the same time of year. We use it to go see family up north in the winter time, but usually drive home back to Florida. The logistics are usually good, but there can be delays, so I don't think I would plan to arrive the day of your departure.

I go along with Sail's comments regarding extra time to add on, so you won't miss your cruise. A few years ago, I took the train from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando, and after a few days there, was going to do the return trip to Fort Lauderdale to catch my flight back to Vancouver. However, I found out the train from the North was running 6 hours late, so I had to rent a car instead to get back to Fort Lauderdale on time.

I forgot to add that the Auto train goes to Sanford Florida which is a suburb of Orlando so you need to plan time to get to the port. We did this in July for DD birthday so there were no train delays, in fact we were ahead of time. On top of that our vehicle was one of the first 5 off the train. We were on our way to Disney World by 7 in the morning.

We drove home via the Great Smokey Mountains as I wanted to see them and I wanted the children to learn that Disney is fun but there is more to the United States than Mickey Mouse. That and I grew up watching the Waltons!

I took it once, northbound, and wouldn't do it again. I sat next to a stranger who coughed all night and I was very cold. On the other hand, I have a friend that takes it south at the beginning of each Feb and back north again at the end of Feb. She doesn't book a roomette, and has had some good and some bad experiences with neighbors. But the bad couldn't have been all that bad or she wouldn't continue to do it every year. The train often runs very late (hours), particularly in bad weather. On my one trip we were 4 hours late arriving in Lorton.

Edited by catl331

My husband took it home from winter in Florida once or twice, and liked it.

The biggest con, as far as I can see, is that the hardest driving is from where you live to boarding in Virginia. After that, it's really an easy drive the rest of the way south. Boring, but easy.

We took it northbound and did not have a good experience. The tiny roomette had the heat on full blast and it would not turn off. The conductor just blew us off. We ended up standing in the hallway with sweat dripping off. Then instead of arriving the next morning, we were sitting on a siding in Georgia, waiting for a priority freight train to pass. We were almost 10 hours late. The food wasn't memorable but we did like the movie, the only positive experience. We won't do it again.

I am an Amtrak patron and have been on the Superliner Sleepers that Amtrak uses for the Auto-Train. I have not been on the Auto-Train, however.

The Superliner Roomettes are fine for one; OK for two, if one is agile enough to climb up to the Upper Berth. With the bed in position and the door to the corridor closed, standing in the space next to the bed, there is enough space for my size 9 feet between the bed and the door with 12, maybe 18 inches, on either side. If the upper berth needs to be used and one is not fully mobile and able to climb stairs/ladders, booking such accommodations would be a major error.

The quality of service will depend upon that train's personnel. In October, I had 3 successive Amtrak long distance trips and each experience varied. None were objectionable, however. They were just "different". Just as we long time HAL guests are now unfortunately finding, the only consistency in product delivery is inconsistency.

There is an "Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum" available that one might choose to visit. Many experienced Amtrak guests as well as past employees post on that site. Questions will be willingly answered and information gleaned from other posters.

Ruth, living now in NJ, it's not that long a ride to Virginia. We're strongly thinking of doing this in January.

I know the drive from NJ to the train in Virginia is shorter than the drive from Virginia to Sanford, but it is a much more stressful drive. Especially in winter. It used to take a lot out of me, and that's when I was younger. :o

For some reason I always felt the auto train should start up in New England, and let people off in Virginia!

If you do decide to make the trip, good wishes on the ride down (both car and train).

Well we are a family of 4 so we were told by the person from Amtrak that there is one roomette for 4 but once the beds are down there is no room to even stand in the room. You try getting two kids ready for bed when you can't even stand up. I find your reply rather rude and needlessly personal. The OP was asking for information and I thought it was information worthwhile of repeating. Seems you did not.

There is not a roomette for four, but a family bedroom for four.

Here is the link to the Amtrak fans forum..Note that it is not an official Amtrak forum.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

EM

In the roomette or family bedroom there is seating that later becomes the beds. The roomette has 2 very comfortable lounge chairs in its normal layout.

We have done numerous overnight trips on Amtrak in roomettes and even 2 nighters to Arizona from New Orleans and back where we had a bedroom which has a couch and lounge chair along with a private toilet and shower.

We meet the attendant when we board and make arrangements to call him when we're ready to have to bunks made up to go to sleep. In the morning he returns the roomette to seating while we're gone to breakfast.

Only one passenger in the roomettes or bedrooms pays the fare for that type - the other is charged a regular coach ticket.

(For some reason I always felt the auto train should start up in New England, and let people off in Virginia!)

The reason it doesn't is because of the height of bridges in the Northeast. The auto train won't fit under them. At least that's what we were told when we did it 20+ years ago.

FWIW we LOVED it! :)

Edited by mollyanne

My husband and I have taken the auto-train several years and find it an enjoyable experience especially considering the alternative of driving I95 to Fll. We do not use the roomette because its only an overnight and the coach seats are comfortable. It's also more convenient for our needs during the Spring than flying. We have always enjoyed meeting people at dinner, snack time, and while waiting for the movie. I do not believe we have ever had an unpleasant experience. You do have to allow for the fact that the tracks are shared with freight lines and sometimes there is a delay, however, our delays have not been excessive. The train leaves from Lorton, Va. and we live in Va. so that helps with the convenience. It travels to Sanford, Fl. and we drive to FLL or Palm Springs. It may take up to an hour for your car to be brought to you, if you're in a hurry you may need to pay for the priorty service. We plan for the time so have never paid for this service. I enjoy the train ride and look forward to our trip every Spring for the beginning of the baseball season. We usually fly to Fll when going on a cruise as I'm in too much of a hurry for the cruise to begin, also, I don't want to pay for the parking for two weeks. Hope you try the train and enjoy the trip.

(For some reason I always felt the auto train should start up in New England, and let people off in Virginia!)

The reason it doesn't is because of the height of bridges in the Northeast. The auto train won't fit under them. At least that's what we were told when we did it 20+ years ago.

FWIW we LOVED it! :)

Actually, it is not the bridges but the tunnels that will not accommodate the Superliner (double decker) equipment. I believe superliner cars do not go above Washington DC. that's why the Silvers are viewliners. EM