We need a thread called "All things regarding formal dress"

CStorm

If we can move smoking to all one thread so some of us never have to read it again, a thread about people who want to wear cutoffs and a baseball cap to formal night would be awesome too, just saying...

Now that's a thought - and does that mean that no one can ever start another thread on what to wear, what not to wear; and why they don't want to dress up? I'll second that!

That's the idea :)

If we can move smoking to all one thread so some of us never have to read it again, a thread about people who want to wear cutoffs and a baseball cap to formal night would be awesome too, just saying...

IMHO this is a good idea!

Why even have a thread at all :confused: The HAL website is very clear on both the smoking and the dress issues. The people who understand and follow the recommended guidelines have absolutely no need for either thread. These threads are for the "fashion innovators" or "considerate smokers" who like to disregard the guidelines and replace them with their own interpretation.

Nothing makes a CruiseCritic newcomer feel more welcome than telling them that the most frequently discussed topics are off limits. Perhaps someone could deploy a script that answered every new post with, "I think that question has already been answered. Did you try searching?"

Nothing makes a CruiseCritic newcomer feel more welcome than telling them that the most frequently discussed topics are off limits. Perhaps someone could deploy a script that answered every new post with, "I think that question has already been answered. Did you try searching?"

Doesn't that reply happen a lot already :D?

I had the unenviable experience of trying to search to answer the question "What time does the Lido open for lunch?" It was fun seeing how many posts contained the words "lido" "lunch" and "schedule" although not necessarily anywhere near each other.

I would not count on the search being able to constructively answer any question.

I had the unenviable experience of trying to search to answer the question "What time does the Lido open for lunch?" It was fun seeing how many posts contained the words "lido" "lunch" and "schedule" although not necessarily anywhere near each other.

I would not count on the search being able to constructively answer any question.

I've tried searching a few times and found that if I could find a useful answer to my question, it was usually a couple of years old. That's not really helpful when things change frequently on the ships.

I was only kidding about the search response. I happen to think that restricting discussions is a bad thing. The search function isn't exactly robust.

People are going to ask the same questions over and over. It's the nature of the beast. This is an ad-supported site. More discussion, even if it covers the same ground, should be good for Cruise Critic. Editorially, the moderators can do what they want, even if it's bad for business - but more threads = more views = more advertising revenue.

Besides, some times there's a new wrinkle, or updated information. Burying it in a giant, single-topic thread just makes it hard to find.

I've tried searching a few times and found that if I could find a useful answer to my question, it was usually a couple of years old. That's not really helpful when things change frequently on the ships.

I was only kidding about the search response. I happen to think that restricting discussions is a bad thing. The search function isn't exactly robust.

People are going to ask the same questions over and over. It's the nature of the beast. This is an ad-supported site. More discussion, even if it covers the same ground, should be good for Cruise Critic. Editorially, the moderators can do what they want, even if it's bad for business - but more threads = more views = more advertising revenue.

Besides, some times there's a new wrinkle, or updated information. Burying it in a giant, single-topic thread just makes it hard to find.

Completely agree with you POA1!

Completely agree with you POA1!

Ditto.:)

Yes, just what the board needs, another sticky thread.

The thread itself wouldn't have to be a sticky, although you are probably correct that there would be a sticky referring people to the primary thread. It would be as the smoking threads are now.

Although you are right that too many stickies (and announcements, for that matter), make a mess of the top of the page, in this case I'm not opposed. The single smoking thread has worked out well for the most part.

I see the dress code/compliance as similar.

For those who were in favor of a smoking thread, what are the reasons you don't feel the same about a dressing code thread? As Ruth said, I also see dress code compliance as similar.

Edited by qsuzi

Great idea!

Ditto ... besides, if you're going to put dress codes in a sticky, why not tipping? entertainment? food? chair hogs? suite & mariner benefits? and just about every other subject that comes up?

There's a reason to have sub-forums and threads ... it's easy to find what you're looking for and makes better discussion, and in many cases, entertainment!!

Everybody that cruises, first timers or veterans know what the dress code is in the different dining rooms on formal nights or any other nights. They choose to either comply or ignore it. It doesn't matter how many posts there are explaining what should or shouldn't be worn. But it is entertaining reading.

Allan

Put your search question in quotation marks and the search engine will return any posts that have that exact phrase. However, don't be too specific. Try just "Lido lunch"

As you saw, without the quotation marks any and all posts with any of the words in your question will be returned.

Edited by HamOp

Put your search question in quotation marks and the search engine will return any posts that have that exact phrase. However, don't be too specific. Try just "Lido lunch"

As you saw, without the quotation marks any and all posts with any of the words in your question will be returned.

With all due respect, the CC search engine... what's the word I'm looking for?... Sucks.

Try to find the last post before you changed user names. It's darn near impossible.