Are you cruise veterans still amazed at anything?

cruznjan

Yes. I'm amazed at how many cruisers, especially first-timers, think the cruise lines control the weather, and if a port has to be skipped or an itinerary has to be changed because of bad weather, people should be given a refund.

Yep...having been cruising since the 60's I'm amazed at every additional "additional sur-charge option" every time I cruise. Note...I'm not complaining...... as it's all discretionary spending. If they didn't have all of these options, a one week cruise would probably cost about $3K for a minimum category cabin!

I guess I am amazed at how many people think we are rich or something to be able to cruise as often as we do. Cruising, in our opinion, is still one of the most affordable vacations because most everything is included. If you don't have to fly to your embarkation port, all the more savings!

As well, I am amazed that both DH and myself LOVE cruising the same. I mean, really love it. It's not that one of us merely tolerates it. We both out and out love cruising. Makes it even more awesome to be with someone you love. :)

The way I feel when I check-in and I am welcomed back onboard.

I feel so privileged that I am able to spend 7+ days onboard these amazing vessels.

The staff that is onboard make me feel like I am a Queen temporarily.

Seeing our beautiful planet one cruise at a time.

Edited by frenchcanrican

I guess I am amazed at how many people think we are rich or something to be able to cruise as often as we do. Cruising, in our opinion, is still one of the most affordable vacations because most everything is included. If you don't have to fly to your embarkation port, all the more savings!

As well, I am amazed that both DH and myself LOVE cruising the same. I mean, really love it. It's not that one of us merely tolerates it. We both out and out love cruising. Makes it even more awesome to be with someone you love. :)

Awesome post, Karen -- I couldn't have summed it up any better! :cool:

(Oh, and yes, we've also gotten used to hearing: "You're going on ANOTHER cruise??? ;))

Not sure I am a cruise veteran.

But the sheer power of the ocean always amazes me.

It takes 100's of 1000's of tons of ship and passengers and tosses it around like a toy.

Edited by GUT2407

Every time I get off in a port and walk along the dock, it blows my mind that these huge things can float. :)

That was one thing that struck me on my first cruise. Until I saw the Rotterdam in the port, I didn't realize how big it was. It's still hard to believe these huge vessels can float.

That is so true.

I cannot get a hotel room and 3 meals for what I pay for a balcony cabin on most cruises.

Then you throw in the transport, the entertainment and of course the snacks.

I have been on 44 cruises, from barge cruises with 8 people, the Hebridean Princess with 44, river cruises with 140+, and ocean cruises.

I am amazed how much I still enjoy it after all these cruises.

Our last cruise was a 32 day cruise from Buenos Aires to LA. I was concerned about the number of sea days, but loved them! Sitting on our balcony with a glass of wine, reading our e-readers, with soft music playing on our mini speakers-it does not get much better than that!

I'm amazed that cruising has allowed me to visit so many countries, experience so many different cultures, see so many beautiful vistas, taste so many local foods, and meet so many wonderful people, and all with a minimum of packing.

I am also amazed that whatever country I visit, there sure are a lot of foreigners there! :D ;) :)

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'm amazed that cruising has allowed me to see so many countries, experience lots of different cultures, take in so many vistas, taste so many local foods, and meet so many wonderful people, and all with a minimum of packing.

I am also amazed that whatever country I visit, there sure are a lot of foreigners there! :D ;) :)

Yeah but ever been to 'Merica, Yankies everywhere.

I wouldn't call myself a cruise veteran, but I'm still amazed at the fact that I can spend hours just looking at that beautiful water and not be the least bit bored!

Yes!! I still record a minute or so of the ocean on my phone or camera, so I can recreate the feeling when I return to the real world.

I wouldn't call myself a cruise veteran, but I'm still amazed at the fact that I can spend hours just looking at that beautiful water and not be the least bit bored!

Yes!! I still record a minute or so of the ocean on my phone or camera, so I can recreate the feeling when I return to the real world.

I will often sit on my balcony to read and a few hours later realise my book hasn't been touched.

After telling certain friends and relatives about spending time in a 5 star Hotel at Disney Land (on a Cruise Ship), showing photo's of the wonderful places we have visited and adventures that we have had, I am amazed that they still are afraid of going on a Cruise. I have even tried to get them on a short 3 day cruise with us and still no go.

Bob

Turnaround Day: bunkering fuel, loading provisions, landing waste, disembarking guests, cleaning staterooms, cleaning decks, crew sign-ons/sign-offs, embarking guests ... all within 8-10 hours.

Back of house operations, i.e. daily activities behind the scenes that the guests do not normally see (galley and laundry operations, engine room, bridge, crew accommodations, backstage, etc..)

Edited by brunello22

After telling certain friends and relatives about spending time in a 5 star Hotel at Disney Land (on a Cruise Ship), showing photo's of the wonderful places we have visited and adventures that we have had, I am amazed that they still are afraid of going on a Cruise. I have even tried to get them on a short 3 day cruise with us and still no go.

Bob

What are they afraid of.

Turnaround Day: bunkering fuel, loading provisions, landing waste, disembarking guests, cleaning staterooms, cleaning decks, crew sign-ons/sign-offs, embarking guests ... all within 8-10 hours.

Back of house operations, i.e. daily activities behind the scenes that the guests do not normally see (galley and laundry operations, engine room, bridge, crew accommodations, backstage, etc..)

Lately I have picked up a few family members at the dock when they return from cruises. I love just sitting watching turnaround day, it is spectacular.