Hurricanes Mexico this week nervous

Doug J

Trying to calm nervous shipmates. Will be on miracle this next week. Reports show it will hit cabo our first stop. Any advise for calming. Anybody been on a cruise with real bad weather????

Trying to calm nervous shipmates. Will be on miracle this next week. Reports show it will hit cabo our first stop. Any advise for calming. Anybody been on a cruise with real bad weather????

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/06/03/hurricane-blanca-eastern-pacific-mexico-baja-peninsula/28407263/

This hurricane will approach Baja this weekend and is expected to weaken as it approaches land. If you are on the Miracle next week there should be little impact from this particular storm. Ships will normally change itinerary and course to avoid things like this.

It's ride it out. The Captain will try to work out the smoothest, safest route. If you miss a port, or get redirected to another, it's in your overall best interests. If you're worried about seasickness, just bring the Dramamine, or Bonine or whatever you use that worked effectively for you. be aware of a lot of homeopathic things purporting to help in motion sickness but don't. Be sure to begin taking the pills, in advance. Once you're sick they don't work as effectively. But take the cruise. Hurricane paths do change. And Blanca is forecasted to be a tropical storm sometime late Saturday/early Sunday and be over the Baja by Monday.

First advice is next week is a long way off, things can happen. We have been in cruises before, during and after hurricanes. The first and foremost point is safety is number 1 priority. We have seen them alter itineraries, reverse them or just skip a port. We have also seen them totally change an itinerary. But that is a last resort. They really want your vacation to be as good as it can be.

They will not put their ship in danger....so, no worries....as long as you're on the ship!

100 % true!

More over... the crew does everything they can to make it a good time still. Missed port... better than endangering lives and still better than a day in "the office.

In October 2010 we were on the Conquest in the Caribbean with Hurricane Paula. Crew did an outstanding job in keeping us informed and up to date. One day of rolling seas, but they rearranged our ports and kept us safe while still having a good time!

100 % true!

More over... the crew does everything they can to make it a good time still. Missed port... better than endangering lives and still better than a day in "the office.

In October 2010 we were on the Conquest in the Caribbean with Hurricane Paula. Crew did an outstanding job in keeping us informed and up to date. One day of rolling seas, but they rearranged our ports and kept us safe while still having a good time!

Case in point, we were on the Splendor last August out of New York and a hurricane was heading up the east coast. We skirted way west (not so far as to hit Virginia or North Carolina:cool:) to miss the storm. Instead of plowing thru it we ended up missing a port and about 4 hours of rough seas....

When I miss a port on a cruise I don't mind that extra fun day at sea as long as it's pretty weather.

I mis-spoke, we missed Grand Turk but went to Port Canveral instead. We treated it as you suggested, an extra sea day with half the ship not there. ;)

Trying to calm nervous shipmates. Will be on miracle this next week. Reports show it will hit cabo our first stop. Any advise for calming. Anybody been on a cruise with real bad weather????[/QUOT

The captain will not put passengers or the ship in danger. All but one of our cruises was during hurricane season. Hurricane Andrew was following us, Hurricane Roxanne went through Cozumel (I remember correctly) just hours after we left and a few years ago we were along side Hurricane Issac. We were able to stop in Cozumel but our visit was cut short by a few hours so we could get out to sea. They will change routes, maybe change ports if they can. Nothing to worry about.

I felt like an idiot flying into Miami hours before Andrew hit, but we sailed early on a half full ship and had no issues whatsoever. Returning, we did see some damage to the area, but did not go thru the most damaged areas, of course. Hope you just get some rain and no major interruptions.

Edited by Cruise life

Those with such concerns clearly do not have the cruise addiction I do.

If we were at all out war with Mexico and they were sinking cruise ships in the Gulf and there was a category four rolling toward Louisiana and Cuba was considering getting into the fray any day now.

I would still take a cruise to Cozumel.

I may stay on the boat in port though:)

Hurricanes may weaken...or not. I would suspect, since it is predicted to pass over Cabo Sunday PM/Mon AM, I suspect you itinerary will be reversed, and you will head for PV first, and take in Cabo on the way back....as long as Cabo hasn't sustained severe damage. EM

Don't worry, they will not put you in harms way. We sailed out of Los Angeles once and the ports were supposed to be Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo, in that order. There was a Cat 4 Hurricane out there. They changed the itinerary and we had a full day in Cabo, then raced north to Ensenada, Catalina and San Deigo. Lots of Californians were unhappy with the new itinerary and got off in Cabo. BIG MISTAKE! The airport had already shut down and they could not get out. They were stuck in the ballroom of a hotel eating cold food, had no electric etc. for 3 days. Always stay with the ship.

Hurricanes in close proximity on embarkation or debarkation day can really mess things up. They usually like to keep ships at sea during storms as opposed to being tied up dockside. Storms also wreak havoc on airlines/airport schedules which affects getting to or from the ship. But if it is any other day of your cruise you will be fine because the Captain will steer the ship around or away from it. Those other days the worst thing that usually happens is maybe some swells or a missed port. Safety is always a priority when you are on the ship and the Captain will not take chances with the ship, crew, or passengers.

Storm chance looks to be low. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=epac&fdays=5

The capt. will keep everyone safe.

I was on Sensation in the Gulf with Katrina.

Got back into New Orleans on evacuation day.

It was the last cruise to get back into New Orleans for a long time.

It was fine.

A little rocky.

I would do it again.