Grass is Greener???

miched

Host Andy has another thread about the lastest promotion by Celebrity that the Grass is Greener.

What is Celbrity trying to tell us???

With all of the irate reactions and other threads about how Celebrity is doing things to upset us is the grass greener?

I for one am definitely going to persue other cruise lines see if it is. Don't think that they will miss me and may even hold the door open to keep it from hitting me on the way out. 😢 👏 👋

Thanks to Celebrity for the advice. :D:D:D

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I for one am definitely going to persue other cruise lines see if it is. Don't think that they will miss me and may even hold the door open to keep it from hitting me on the way out.

It's been clear for some time from your posts that you have fallen out of love with Celebrity. Yes, it's time to move on.

Phil

It's been clear for some time from your posts that you have fallen out of love with Celebrity. Yes, it's time to move on.

Phil

Not to be unfair, but I agree, based on the posts from the last week, it is time to move on to a new line and new forum, IF in fact he is that unhappy with X.

There are a few others who would benefit from a move as well, solely based on the posts I have read.

Thank you eoh... bon voyage m.. :cool:

Phil

Not to be unfair, but I agree, based on the posts from the last week, it is time to move on to a new line and new forum, IF in fact he is that unhappy with X.

There are a few others who would benefit from a move as well, solely based on the posts I have read.

Thank you eoh... bon voyage m.. :cool:

Yup. Time to say buh...buh...bye bye

Just thinking back, we have had missed ports and changed ports on almost all the cruises we have taken. We were 'adrift in the Adriatic Sea' at one point when both engines quit. Missed the only port I had never been to on that itinerary. Booked a different cruise for two North African ports, both of which were cancelled at the last minute, no chance to make any changes.

But I NEVER felt the anger/vitriol/dissatisfaction that I have seen from the OP and others about this new 'forced overnight' change, when it is WELL into the future and allows almost everyone to cancel and book something else. You'd think they were being jailed against their will. I have to say, in all seriousness, "Seriously???!!" Yes, it may well be time for you to move on. . .

Edited by CathyCruises

Host Andy has another thread about the lastest promotion by Celebrity that I for one am definitely going to persue other cruise lines see if it is. Don't think that they will miss me and may even hold the door open to keep it from hitting me on the way out.

happy cruising

I also think we might be ready to try a new cruise line. We are doing RCCL Liberty of the Seas in October, but I don't think that counts since they are owned by the same parent

Posts on the other mass market cruise line boards are almost identical to Celebrity..."not the way it used to be"..."things going downhill"..."worsening service"...etc. We have cruised Princess, HAL and X the past 4 years and, although they all have strengths/weaknesses...X still remains on top of our list based on our experience. But if I complained as much as some do on this board I would obviously try something different.

Posts on the other mass market cruise line boards are almost identical to Celebrity..."not the way it used to be"..."things going downhill"..."worsening service"...etc. ... But if I complained as much as some do on this board I would obviously try something different.

Amen to all of the above.

Edited by CanadianDee

Just thinking back, we have had missed ports and changed ports on almost all the cruises we have taken. We were 'adrift in the Adriatic Sea' at one point when both engines quit. Missed the only port I had never been to on that itinerary. Booked a different cruise for two North African ports, both of which were cancelled at the last minute, no chance to make any changes.

But I NEVER felt the anger/vitriol/dissatisfaction that I have seen from the OP and others about this new 'forced overnight' change, when it is WELL into the future and allows almost everyone to cancel and book something else. You'd think they were being jailed against their will. I have to say, in all seriousness, "Seriously???!!" Yes, it may well be time for you to move on. . .

If Celebrity would let the folks in the UK and EU cancel WITHOUT PENALTY, the issue would probably go away. As it is, Celebrity wants to keep their deposits, even though the reason for cancellation is something Celebrity did unilaterally after they made the deposit. That's just unreasonable.

I also think we might be ready to try a new cruise line. We are doing RCCL Liberty of the Seas in October, but I don't think that counts since they are owned by the same parent

You can swap out for those of us who are leaving Royal to try Celebrity :D

If Celebrity would let the folks in the UK and EU cancel WITHOUT PENALTY, the issue would probably go away. As it is, Celebrity wants to keep their deposits, even though the reason for cancellation is something Celebrity did unilaterally after they made the deposit. That's just unreasonable.

I've had occasion to cancel Celebrity cruises before and have never had a problem moving the deposit to another =X= cruise.

Phil

I find all your comments valid because I too am migrating, but I'm going toward Celebrity and not away from it. Having been a loyal customer of NCL for 10+ years, I'm done with their nickel and diming. How funny is it that we're all finding fault in our favored lines. Change is good for all!

It's not unreasonable since it is completely allowable within the cruise contract. If you believe they should be allowed to cancel without penalty, then you believe that any itinerary changes would constitute a breach of contract. You would see demands for compensation should the ship leave or depart a port except on the schedule in the brochure or if the ship missed a port for any reason.

Edited by RocketMan275

You're right on that one, Anna Marie! :( Guess who the new President/CEO of Royal is? Yep, none other than Michael Bayley -- the man who gave us "Modern Luxury". :rolleyes: But, the RC ships do have the WOW factor -- you won't be bored on Liberty. :cool:

It's not unreasonable since it is completely allowable within the cruise contract. If you believe they should be allowed to cancel without penalty, then you believe that any itinerary changes would constitute a breach of contract. You would see demands for compensation should the ship leave or depart a port except on the schedule in the brochure or if the ship missed a port for any reason.

It's not a breach of contract...it's a breach of good faith. It's called behaving in an ethical way and treating your customers fairly.

There are reasons out of the control of Celebrity that cause changes...no one has a problem with that....but this one is entirely within Celebrity's control....they made a marketing (perhaps a financial) decision. I'm sure many like the change...but those who don't and live in countries where you can't cancel at any time without a financial penalty are trapped unless they want to forfeit their deposit.

To me that's just not "fair dealing" with their passengers.

Also consider: The "contract" is written in a way that celebrity can do most anything. As pointed out earlier, they could just let you board and never set sail for the duration of your cruise. That's ok under the contract. They could in fact confine you to your cabin for the entire cruise...that's OK under the contract. They could stop serving any food on the trip and only distribute peanut butter and jelly sandwiches....in fact, they don't have to serve any food at all....that's OK under the contract. Don't be overly confident that the words in the contract would actually hold up, if challenged.

Edited by ghstudio

You're right on that one, Anna Marie! :( Guess who the new President/CEO of Royal is? Yep, none other than Michael Bayley -- the man who gave us "Modern Luxury". :rolleyes: But, the RC ships do have the WOW factor -- you won't be bored on Liberty. :cool:

OMG!! That's right I forgot he's now President. Gee I might have to cancel my cruise now. :D

Host Andy has another thread about the lastest promotion by Celebrity that the Grass is Greener.

With all of the irate reactions and other threads about how Celebrity is doing things to upset us is the grass greener?

I for one am definitely going to persue other cruise lines see if it is. Don't think that they will miss me and may even hold the door open to keep it from hitting me on the way out. 😢 👏 👋

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

If you don't like Celebrity go find another line that suits you more. But honestly you will see that all the popular cruise lines like : Princess, RC, Celebrity, Carnival etc... are all the same. Just enjoy the cruises you are doing. Life is short stay positive.

This discussion has just reminded my of a couple of years ago we were on the Eclipse going to Azores and Canaries. It was at the start of the storms in October 2013 and the Azores was cancelled before we left Southampton but they stopped at Vigo instead. Not quite like for like but at least they did something.

We arrived in Teneriffe at the same time as the Azura which also had that stop cancelled. We met a number of the P & O passengers who were up in arms about missing a port and were trying to find out if we had been been offered any compensation for it, which is pretty typical of some of us Brits. They weren't bothered about the risk of sailing into the Atlantic in a storm in mid October, just trying to see what they can get back.

We did finally get to the Azores last October but it was quite a rough 2 days. The staff were taking sea sick tablets. We were ok we took ginger mohitos.

Hopefully this year in September we will have better weather.

We see this "cheerleader" attitude on most of the cruise line boards. Somebody posts something negative and the "cheerleaders" quickly tell them to move on to another line or board. We think that is a crock :(. DW and I have been blessed to have cruised on 14 different cruise lines (an awful lot of ships) and can rattle off pros and cons for all those lines and ships.

We have no problem with those that post negative things about a line, and many times they are right! Currently we consider Celebrity our favorite mass market line (Princess is a very close 2nd) but there are many negative issues on X. Does that mean we should dump Celebrity in favor of HAL (which has more issues) or Princess? Each of those lines have their own issues. But recent cut-backs on many lines coupled with increasing prices does cause us to make adjustments. Now, instead of taking a 60 day Celebrity cruise we might only spend 25 days on the cruise and a month on land. Or, instead of taking a typical 7 day Caribbean cruise (we seldom take cruises less then 14 days) we might opt for an All-Inclusive resort.

We do disagree that the various cruise lines are "all the same." In fact, they are all quite different and there are even some major differences between some ships of the same line. But we agree that a positive attitude is a good thing. When we travel we try to make the best of every situation and save the whining for later :).

And by the way, all the cruise lines carefully monitor the CC boards and sometimes react to negative posts. So posting the bitter with sweet can have a positive outcome.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Maybe the laws there are very very different than in the U.S., if that is where you are posting from, which not only forces X's refund policy but that of other cruise and public transport companies????

Just a thought, just thinking out loud, just wondering if the comment is well researched, etc....

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Your displeasure with X has become more and more noticeable lately to the point that I was thinking yesterday how much your attitude has changed. I've always loved reading your posts - perhaps I felt something in common as I lived the majority of my life in Michigan (St Joe). I say move on and give a few other lines a try - see if you can rediscover what made cruising enjoyable to you.

I will add that my 1st cruise - I booked a cabin through a TA - gasp - without seeing a deck plan :eek: because I didn't know I could or should. I didn't know that there were loyalty programs, didn't know about cruise critic, didn't realize a whole lot of things. Wow was life simpler then - I LOVED that cruise in all my glorious stupidity! I didn't know what I didn't know and I didn't miss it. I think by us all being so up on every word, offer, new release, cabin info, officers names, menus, entertainment - before we even get on the ship - it has lessened our ability to just be happy and enjoy a cruise.

Your displeasure with X has become more and more noticeable lately to the point that I was thinking yesterday how much your attitude has changed. I've always loved reading your posts - perhaps I felt something in common as I lived the majority of my life in Michigan (St Joe). I say move on and give a few other lines a try - see if you can rediscover what made cruising enjoyable to you.

I will add that my 1st cruise - I booked a cabin through a TA - gasp - without seeing a deck plan :eek: because I didn't know I could or should. I didn't know that there were loyalty programs, didn't know about cruise critic, didn't realize a whole lot of things. Wow was life simpler then - I LOVED that cruise in all my glorious stupidity! I didn't know what I didn't know and I didn't miss it. I think by us all being so up on every word, offer, new release, cabin info, officers names, menus, entertainment - before we even get on the ship - it has lessened our ability to just be happy and enjoy a cruise. [/quote

Good post and I totally agree. I too have noticed the OPs change in attitude that seems to stem from this port change. I think when one gets so verbally and publicly upset that it may be time to see if the grass really is greener on a different cruise line. The point I was trying to make earlier was that this seems like an awful lot of upset people for a one-day change. You are still on the ship, you're still at sea, you're still on vacation, it's hard for me to understand this level of unhappiness.

It's not a breach of contract...it's a breach of good faith. It's called behaving in an ethical way and treating your customers fairly.

There are reasons out of the control of Celebrity that cause changes...no one has a problem with that....but this one is entirely within Celebrity's control....they made a marketing (perhaps a financial) decision. I'm sure many like the change...but those who don't and live in countries where you can't cancel at any time without a financial penalty are trapped unless they want to forfeit their deposit.

To me that's just not "fair dealing" with their passengers.

Also consider: The "contract" is written in a way that celebrity can do most anything. As pointed out earlier, they could just let you board and never set sail for the duration of your cruise. That's ok under the contract. They could in fact confine you to your cabin for the entire cruise...that's OK under the contract. They could stop serving any food on the trip and only distribute peanut butter and jelly sandwiches....in fact, they don't have to serve any food at all....that's OK under the contract. Don't be overly confident that the words in the contract would actually hold up, if challenged.

Even with all the complaining, I've yet to see anyone post a copy of the cruise contract for the United Kingdom. Do you have a copy?

Question: Can you book a cruise in the UK/EU with a TA? If you have done so, who keeps the deposit? The TA, the cruise line, or do they split the forfeited amount?