Cable Car Plans White Bay to Barangaroo

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']But if the central area was only used for passengers getting off the cable car, and there are only 20 passengers per car, then there isn't going to be any crowds there. Those 20 people will clear that area very quickly and link through to whatever access is used by all. After all, the monorail stations were quite small and they carried far more than 20 people without any problems.[/quote]

Crowds occur as e.g. people stand around to organise their belongings, check documents, plan where to go next, and even wait for more people. Usually staff would try to move people along, but in this situation where even bikes and luggage can be taken, some will mill around longer.

The monorail areas were a whole 8 car train long, plus had only one side occupied by the train, which is a lot more space than a cable car platform which usually only has a small platform to work in. That said, if they can make this the length of those, I agree it'd address the people space issue. Edited by The_Big_M

[quote name='The_Big_M']Crowds occur as e.g. people stand around to organise their belongings, check documents, plan where to go next, and even wait for more people. Usually staff would try to move people along, but in this situation where even bikes and luggage can be taken, some will mill around longer.

The monorail areas were a whole 8 car train long, plus had only one side occupied by the train, which is a lot more space than a cable car platform which only has a small platform to work in. Further the inside side of the U loop is proposed which is even smaller as it's usually not used for access.[/quote]

But why can't they make the cable car platforms longer to accommodate more than one car?

[quote name='MicCanberra']Once the proposal is approved to be scoped further, they can start with the actual specifications of the stations through drawings and mock ups etc.:D[/quote]

Should "once" read "if"???

[quote name='The_Big_M']Crowds occur as e.g. people stand around to organise their belongings, check documents, plan where to go next, and even wait for more people. Usually staff would try to move people along, but in this situation where even bikes and luggage can be taken, some will mill around longer.

The monorail areas were a whole 8 car train long, plus had only one side occupied by the train, which is a lot more space than a cable car platform which usually only has a small platform to work in. That said, if they can make this the length of those, I agree it'd address the people space issue.[/QUOTE]

Remember, a cable car platform is a semicircular so has more available space in a small area than a straight line.

But you missed my point, those monorail stations were a whole train long and still weren't very big. A cable car station would be wider but not necessarily longer in a straight line.

[quote name='Russell21']Only the terminal stations are semi-circular, the other stations are pass through.[/QUOTE]

Good point, they may need longer straight line platforms. Although by the look of the diagram some turn corners so may need a curved pass through.

Anyway there is enough cable car technology world wide so I'm sure most of those sorts of issues have already been catered for.

[quote name='GUT2407']The Emirtes ones are gong to push through at a lot more than a minute each I'd say.[/QUOTE]

The cars are quite small - maybe eight seater? Hard to judge the width of them but not sure you'd be able to fit a bike in one of those as well as passengers on both sides.

I've only used the small ones in Rotorua and Queenstown in NZ, which seat four I think. They move through fairly quickly, probably one a minute or even more.

There is one that goes across to Sentosa Island in Singapore but, again, the cars are quite small. However it doesn't have a huge number of towers like the London one is depicted as having.

There is a small picture of that one halfway down the page here [url]http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/getting-to-around-sentosa/getting-to-sentosa/[/url]

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']There is one that goes across to Sentosa Island in Singapore but, again, the cars are quite small. However it doesn't have a huge number of towers like the London one is depicted as having.

There is a small picture of that one halfway down the page here [url]http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/getting-to-around-sentosa/getting-to-sentosa/[/url][/QUOTE]

I have been on those and they are way too small, supposedly for 6 people but only a load of 400-500kgs. No where near enough room or weight loading for Australians, let alone their bags as well.

[quote name='MicCanberra']I have been on those and they are way too small, supposedly for 6 people but only a load of 400-500kgs. No where near enough room or weight loading for Australians, let alone their bags as well.[/quote]

So have to travel by myself.

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']Remember, a cable car platform is a semicircular so has more available space in a small area than a straight line.

But you missed my point, those monorail stations were a whole train long and still weren't very big. A cable car station would be wider but not necessarily longer in a straight line.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't necessarily have more space. Depends on the width of the line. Similarly while terminating stations are semi-circular, the ones on the DT picture at the cruise terminal are on the way so would likely be elongated in the middle.

I didn't miss your point - the monorail stations were large enough. Cable car stations aren't necessarily wider, I've certainly seen many that were narrower. Edited by The_Big_M

[quote name='MicCanberra']I have been on those and they are way too small, supposedly for 6 people but only a load of 400-500kgs. No where near enough room or weight loading for Australians, let alone their bags as well.[/QUOTE]

They are pretty old. I was mainly referring to them to give an idea of the span they go without extra pylons.

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']They are pretty old. I was mainly referring to them to give an idea of the span they go without extra pylons.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.
We had my brother's family and ours in one car (estimated to be around 600kgs) and was crammed in like clowns in a mini. When we went over the edge of the platform it dropped about 4 foot and then swung all the way over. the kids were screaming.

[quote name='MicCanberra']We had my brother's family and ours in one car (estimated to be around 600kgs) and was crammed in like clowns in a mini. When we went over the edge of the platform it dropped about 4 foot and then swung all the way over. the kids were screaming.[/quote]

Sounds more like a fun park ride than a cable car:D