How Grand is The Grande ?

Hi All

Sailing on Anthem in September for a 14 night Med cruise. First time on Royal and first time for Dynamic Dining.

Used the online cruise planner and provisionally booked The Grande restaurant 5 nights out of the 14, 5 more for Chic, 3 for Silk and 1 in American Idol (as the menu examples looked the least interesting)

Generally enjoy good food, seafood, shellfish and fine dining which is why i've favoured Grande and Chic (based on menu examples on website) - For those that had had the opportunity to dine here how good was the food, the choice and for that matter any comments on the other choices we have made ?

I know The Grande is classed as formal every night but if I understand the theory of Anthem (and Quantum class) there is no shipwide formal evenings - Therefore how formal are people who have experienced the Grande ? Is suit and tie good, jacket and tie ? I have no problem dressing up but don't get the impression that many would go with a DJ and spend the rest of the evening surrounded by a majority in casual clothing in the bars and shows.

Appreciate your feedback

On the Quantum, the Grande had the better food choices of the included restaurants. Jacket and tie is perfect for the formal look.

For some variety however, consider an up charge restaurant like Jamie's. It was really good.

On the Quantum, the Grande had the better food choices of the included restaurants. Jacket and tie is perfect for the formal look.

For some variety however, consider an up charge restaurant like Jamie's. It was really good.

Hi Bob

Thanks for the feedback on The Grande

Not sure how well Jamie's will be received as an a la carte when sailing out of Southampton - Jamie's is franchised all over the UK so for a British audience not that much of a special treat .... Unless you love Jamie's of course ! Think it may suit the North American market better when over later in the year as something different for the US/Canadian customers.

Hi barneymag.

The grande has a great selection of dishes.

We dined in the grande formally, as did a lot of other guests. but people still tried to break rank with it. but they had jackets waiting for people that hadn't brought them.

Also, there are royal nights. A sort of "badly advertised PC formal night, where the dress code is "dress your best" ........ We also dressed for that. A lot of people hadn't made the effort simply because they didn't see it in the cruise compass :( .

All the restaurants are great. We were on dynamic classic and had a great waiting crew.

but avoid the "thanksgiving turkey" dinner in American icon. its awful ......

Hi Bob

Thanks for the feedback on The Grande

Not sure how well Jamie's will be received as an a la carte when sailing out of Southampton - Jamie's is franchised all over the UK so for a British audience not that much of a special treat .... Unless you love Jamie's of course ! Think it may suit the North American market better when over later in the year as something different for the US/Canadian customers.

Jamie's is no longer a la carte. It was recently changed back to $30pp.

You're kidding. It went from flat fee to a la carte back to flat fee?:confused:

The a la carte must have proven too expensive so they reversed their decision.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6396

Perhaps they should think this way with the recent increase in drink prices.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The a la carte must have proven too expensive so they reversed their decision.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6396

Perhaps they should think this way with the recent increase in drink prices.

Thanks Ken, I missed this completely. So ultimately, they effected a $5 increase in price. Maybe Jamie thought $25 was just too low for his restaurant.

That's one way to raise prices and come out smelling like roses at the end of the day.:rolleyes:

Reminds me of how Coca Cola went from using sugar to High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Thanks Ken, I missed this completely. So ultimately, they effected a $5 increase in price. Maybe Jamie thought $25 was just too low for his restaurant.

It had actually gone up to $30pp before the swtich to a la carte. (I had booked it months ago at $30pp for our upcoming TA on Anthem in October.) Now it's back to $30pp, the a la carte pricing having failed miserably and quickly, as I think pretty much anyone could have predicted, except, apparently, the people at RCI.

It had actually gone up to $30pp before the swtich to a la carte. (I had booked it months ago at $30pp for our upcoming TA on Anthem in October.) Now it's back to $30pp, the a la carte pricing having failed miserably and quickly, as I think pretty much anyone could have predicted, except, apparently, the people at RCI.

I had read somewhere that the impetus to raise the price came from Jamie. I'll bet Royal knew the price would be too high, but had to go though the exercise anyhow.

Hello Barney,

We really enjoyed our dinner at the Grande. The other passengers were all dressed in formal attire a couple of tuxes mostly suits for the men.

For starters my wife and I loved the Lobster Bisque, rich, velvety, savory and delicious.

I had the Sole Almondine which was superb. A lovely, flavorful piece of fish tender and flaky.

Can't remember what we had for dessert, our waiter was terrific very efficient and took great care of us. We loved the Grande and can't wait to return on Anthem next February.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Hello Barney,

We really enjoyed our dinner at the Grande. The other passengers were all dressed in formal attire a couple of tuxes mostly suits for the men.

For starters my wife and I loved the Lobster Bisque, rich, velvety, savory and delicious.

I had the Sole Almondine which was superb. A lovely, flavorful piece of fish tender and flaky.

Can't remember what we had for dessert, our waiter was terrific very efficient and took great care of us. We loved the Grande and can't wait to return on Anthem next February.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the feedback - Looking forward to some good food in the Grande. Would you suggest its the closest restaurant to the MDR on other ships from RCI or Celebrity ? I never dine in the buffet and always dine in the MDR or a speciality restaurant for a change _ I'm looking forward to try this new concept but went for 5 nights in the Grande and 5 nights in Chic as the online menu examples reminded me more of the MDR menus on Celebrity or P&O. Were first timers on Royal so hoping we wont be disappointed.

Regarding the dress code don't have a problem with it - On P&O out of UK ports formal is pretty 100% DJ's/Tuxes where on Celebrity I found it was more suits than tuxes .... perhaps 70/30. Not witnessed anyone really abusing Formal on either P&O or Celebrity in the MDR, but on Anthem I got the impression as the ship as a whole will not have true formal nights then "formal" in Grande would be more how you would arrive at a wedding or fine dining restaurant ...... Hard Hat on waiting for the "formal attire police" :)

By the way did you eat in Chic as well, and what did you think of the menu there ?

Thanks again

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the feedback - Looking forward to some good food in the Grande. Would you suggest its the closest restaurant to the MDR on other ships from RCI or Celebrity ? I never dine in the buffet and always dine in the MDR or a speciality restaurant for a change _ I'm looking forward to try this new concept but went for 5 nights in the Grande and 5 nights in Chic as the online menu examples reminded me more of the MDR menus on Celebrity or P&O. Were first timers on Royal so hoping we wont be disappointed.

Regarding the dress code don't have a problem with it - On P&O out of UK ports formal is pretty 100% DJ's/Tuxes where on Celebrity I found it was more suits than tuxes .... perhaps 70/30. Not witnessed anyone really abusing Formal on either P&O or Celebrity in the MDR, but on Anthem I got the impression as the ship as a whole will not have true formal nights then "formal" in Grande would be more how you would arrive at a wedding or fine dining restaurant ...... Hard Hat on waiting for the "formal attire police" :)

By the way did you eat in Chic as well, and what did you think of the menu there ?

Thanks again

as I said in my previous post, the formal night is now called "Royal night" and the dress code is "Dress your best"

Hi barneymag.

The grande has a great selection of dishes.

We dined in the grande formally, as did a lot of other guests. but people still tried to break rank with it. but they had jackets waiting for people that hadn't brought them.

Also, there are royal nights. A sort of "badly advertised PC formal night, where the dress code is "dress your best" ........ We also dressed for that. A lot of people hadn't made the effort simply because they didn't see it in the cruise compass :( .

All the restaurants are great. We were on dynamic classic and had a great waiting crew.

but avoid the "thanksgiving turkey" dinner in American icon. its awful ......

It actually annoyed me seeing people in there not in formal dress. When were were walking in one night, a man in a polo shirt and jeans walked out, handed his jacket back to the door staff with a big smile on his face and said "thank you"...

He looked like an absolute moron.

If you don't have formal dress. They should enforce it and not let you in. Simple

What I (and I think the OP) would really like to know is what are the proportions of men wearing DJs/ lounge suits/chinos with jacket and no tie? I assume most will fall into one of these categories, apart from those who come in casual and are lent a jacket.

We really need to hear from people who have been on Anthem not on Quantum, where the majority will be Americans who tend to dress less formally anyway.

Hi All

Sailing on Anthem in September for a 14 night Med cruise. First time on Royal and first time for Dynamic Dining.

Used the online cruise planner and provisionally booked The Grande restaurant 5 nights out of the 14, 5 more for Chic, 3 for Silk and 1 in American Idol (as the menu examples looked the least interesting)

Generally enjoy good food, seafood, shellfish and fine dining which is why i've favoured Grande and Chic (based on menu examples on website) - For those that had had the opportunity to dine here how good was the food, the choice and for that matter any comments on the other choices we have made ?

I know The Grande is classed as formal every night but if I understand the theory of Anthem (and Quantum class) there is no shipwide formal evenings - Therefore how formal are people who have experienced the Grande ? Is suit and tie good, jacket and tie ? I have no problem dressing up but don't get the impression that many would go with a DJ and spend the rest of the evening surrounded by a majority in casual clothing in the bars and shows.

Appreciate your feedback

As you have suggested a requirement fur a good hotel and great food, may we suggest the Terravina. It is an excellent small hotel just outside the town, and you must dine at the hotel, taking the tasting menu with wine.

The great send off you may be seeking.:)

What I (and I think the OP) would really like to know is what are the proportions of men wearing DJs/ lounge suits/chinos with jacket and no tie? I assume most will fall into one of these categories, apart from those who come in casual and are lent a jacket.

We really need to hear from people who have been on Anthem not on Quantum, where the majority will be Americans who tend to dress less formally anyway.

Absolutely the question I was asking

Don't get me wrong, on traditional formal nights on P&O I would always wear DJ/Tux and Black Tie as this was the majority ..... On Celebrity I packed DJ but wore Suit and Tie as this was the norm on the Eclipse and I felt more comfortable with the majority ....... Now I truly hope that the norm in this restaurant is not shorts and tee shirt as that's not what I signed up for but would like an understanding from those that have cruised on Anthem how formal is formal in the Grande ??

As I said in earlier posts I had heard that this ship did not have traditional ship wide formal nights but if that's wrong are all 4 restaurants formal on these evenings and is it DJ/Tux for the majority or small minority ??

Thanks again

As you have suggested a requirement fur a good hotel and great food, may we suggest the Terravina. It is an excellent small hotel just outside the town, and you must dine at the hotel, taking the tasting menu with wine.

The great send off you may be seeking.:)

Thanks Port Royal for the heads up :rolleyes: but can't remember asking for this but I'm sure the Southampton tourist office will be delighted with your assistance in helping local businesses ;)

It actually annoyed me seeing people in there not in formal dress. When were were walking in one night, a man in a polo shirt and jeans walked out, handed his jacket back to the door staff with a big smile on his face and said "thank you"...

He looked like an absolute moron.

If you don't have formal dress. They should enforce it and not let you in. Simple

Hi Swoopy

TBH I totally agree with you and really enjoyed your review and photos - I noticed you were in full Balck Tie but as I have said I have no problem wearing full formal DJ/Tux or business/wedding formal Suit and Tie but I was trying to gauge what was the proportion of DJ/Tux to Suit and Tie and then I guess Jacket and Tie and then those just taking the $@#% :(

No matter what I would as a minimum dependent on the cruise line be wearing a suit and tie or smart jacket and tie if it was a more relaxed cruise line ..... I would never feel comfortable dressing down in a formal restaurant or a formal evening

Thanks

as I said in my previous post, the formal night is now called "Royal night" and the dress code is "Dress your best"

Hi Stichman

Thanks for your comments

As I said before I have no problem dressing to the cruise lines requirements but equally I think the majority of people become the dress code policy with what they're wearing if that makes sense. Cunard v conservative and formal, P&O quite formal, Celebrity half and half, Royal ??? I don't know as never cruised with them yet but will be in September and therefore just trying to understand what to expect to be in the majority on Anthem out of Southampton

Thanks again