Officers Attending the Meet and Greet?

iflyrc5

In the past when I setup the meet and greet with HALs Onboard Event Services Coordinator they provided me with a list of the officers so that I could send out personal invitations to invite them to the event.

I sent an email update this morning to the HAL "Onboard Event Services Coordinator" letting her know that our Roll Call numbers are now over 140 people for our upcoming 35 day Voyage of the Vikings. This is the person that coordinates with the ship to arrange for our Meet and Greet. I requested the names of the officers for our cruise so that I could send them personal invitations to the Meet and Greet. In the past we have normally had the beverage manager and CD and often have had the Hotel manager and the Captain when we had large groups like this one. Below is the response I received:

We have currently changed our policy regarding the meet and greet onboard Holland America Line ship:

We will no longer be requesting ship staff attendance for the meet and greets.

The purpose of a meet & greet is for cruisers to meet each other. Unfortunately the ships staff will not be able to attend, however they are frequently out and about where you can meet them. There is “Ask the Captain” event on every cruise, where questions can be asked and answered.

This is disappointing as our cruise critic roll call represents more than 10% of the total passengers on the ship.

We had almost off the officers come to the Meet and Greet on our 30 day South Pacific cruise this past Feb. Just wondering what others have experienced at the recent HAL Meet and Greet events

In the past when I setup the meet and greet with HALs Onboard Event Services Coordinator they provided me with a list of the officers so that I could send out personal invitations to invite them to the event.

I sent an email update this morning to the HAL "Onboard Event Services Coordinator" letting her know that our Roll Call numbers are now over 140 people for our upcoming 35 day Voyage of the Vikings. This is the person that coordinates with the ship to arrange for our Meet and Greet. I requested the names of the officers for our cruise so that I could send them personal invitations to the Meet and Greet. In the past we have normally had the beverage manager and CD and often have had the Hotel manager and the Captain when we had large groups like this one. Below is the response I received:

We have currently changed our policy regarding the meet and greet onboard Holland America Line ship:

The purpose of a meet & greet is for cruisers to meet each other. Unfortunately the ships staff will not be able to attend, however they are frequently out and about where you can meet them. There is “Ask the Captain” event on every cruise, where questions can be asked and answered.

This is disappointing as our cruise critic roll call represents more than 10% of the total passengers on the ship.

We had almost off the officers come to the Meet and Greet on our 30 day South Pacific cruise this past Feb. Just wondering what others have experienced at the recent HAL Meet and Greet events

\

We had the CD and Hotel Manager attend our Meet and Greet on May 1, so this must be something new.

Some may still attend but companies change policies all the time.

Actually, the comment about M & G for cruisers to meet each other is 'mostly' correct. :)

In the past, some M & G lots of Officers attended while other M & G's there might have been few or none.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

I had arranged 3 M&Gs for our 2012 Voyage of the Vikings cruise. I went to the front desk and asked the person there the names of the officers I wanted to invite. If they've changed their policy, she may not give out the names, but, it doesn't hurt to be able to send invitations. I was pleasantly surprised that any showed up. The captain came to the last one.

I attended a M&G during a cruise earlier this year on a ship that will remain unnamed.

The organizers invited the officers and they did attend. However, as soon as they arrived the organizers proceeded to attack each one for a variety of complaints from not enough sauerkraut on the Reuben to shortened port stops and what have you.

The Captain tried to say a few words and they interrupted him. I couldn't believe it.

I just walked away in disgust.

If this is what the officers may think they may encounter, I don't blame HAL for changing their policy.

I have run a number of M&Gs and always invited the officers and made sure they were welcome. I would really be upset if one that I ran took that turn.

Just my two cents.

Terru

Edited by Cruzin Terri

I attended a M&G during a cruise earlier this year on a ship that will remain unnamed.

The organizers invited the officers and they did attend. However, as soon as they arrived the organizers proceeded to attack each one for a variety of complaints from not enough sauerkraut on the Reuben to shortened port stops and what have you.

The Captain tried to say a few words and they interrupted him. I couldn't believe it.

If this is what the officers may think they may encounter, I don't blame HAL for changing their policy.

I have run a number of M&Gs and always invited the officers and made sure they were welcome. I would really be upset if one that I ran took that turn.

Just my two cents.

Terru

Totally agree that such behavior on the part of M&G participants is objectionable. I may get flamed for this comment, but the demographics of cruisers has radically changed since CC started the concept of a Meet and Greet. It may be time to drop the concept all together. And, that would be a loss. It was always enjoyable to see and be able to visit with whatever Senior Officers/Officials that were available to attend these gatherings.

But, I understand why such a change in HAL policy would be started.

One has to wonder (at least from me): has common courtesy become totally lost?

I just checked my meet and greet confirmation for my upcoming cruise and it shows that the officers and staff are invited.

I wonder if that wording is to avoid disappointment as sometimes they can't come and sometimes they choose not to come (Terri's example).

We were on the Westerdam for 20 days (April 11 - May 1st, 2015) and had two meet and greets. We had a slew of officers, Executive Chef, HD, CD, Captain, Guest Relations, Cellar Master, the list just went on.

I was furiously writing names to try to get everyone a thank you card.

Our Captain was greeted with cheers (we were the Sail a Way Gang after all and he is the Sail a Way hero).

We were thrilled to have them there and it added to the occasion.

I don't ask my ship co-ordinator for the names. If they aren't readily available here, I just wait until I am onboard and then address my envelopes for my invitations for them.

If they can come great and if they can't, that's totally understandable too as they do have other things to do.

It is also possible that this is going to vary by ship and the ship's officers on board. Time will tell

Edited by kazu

Just my two cents.

Terru

WOW Terri

just a WOW.

when we were on the Westerdam the Captain asked if we had any questions and all he got was praise.

If I am doing the M & G, I usually post a little reminder something on the roll call.

A M & G, is not the time or place for that stuff.

totally agree with you - I would be mortified too.

Just my two cents.

Terru

Terri, I agree with you & I too would be very upset, however I heard that years ago one of the meet & greets had a similar problem ...Therefore since 1998 on every meet & greet I've done I've posted the following caution in the roll call thread when I announce where the meet & greet is to be held..

Quote I also have a personal request, only because of an incident which occurred on another cruise during a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet Reception...

This is a Social Occasion only for us to get to know each other as well as the Ship's Officers..On board problems or complaints should be addressed in private with the appropriate Department Head & not at this meeting.

Unquote

I also do what Kazu does & wait until I board & meet with the Beverage Manager.. I ask him the names of the Officers so I can send them the same invitation which I put into the mailboxes of all our CC posters..

So far our Meet & Greets have been successful..

BTW I've never had a note on our Meet & greet confirmation about the Officers being invited, since I send all the Officers an invitation after we board..

Edited by serendipity1499

Terri, I agree with you & I too would be very upset, however I heard that years ago one of the meet & greets had a similar problem ...Therefore since 1998 on every meet & greet I've done I've posted the following caution in the roll call thread when I announce where the meet & greet is to be held..

Quote I also have a personal request, only because of an incident which occurred on another cruise during a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet Reception...

This is a Social Occasion only for us to get to know each other as well as the Ship's Officers..On board problems or complaints should be addressed in private with the appropriate Department Head & not at this meeting.

Unquote

I also do what Kazu does & wait until I board & meet with the Beverage Manager.. I ask him the names of the Officers so I can send them the same invitation which I put into the mailboxes of all our CC posters..

So far our Meet & Greets have been successful..

BTW I've never had a note on our Meet & greet confirmation about the Officers being invited, since I send all the Officers an invitation after we board..

The two sisters who ran the event had no clue that they were out of line. I took one look at the HD's face and saw his look of horror. Ha just kept shaking his head.

I booked that cruise at the last minute to get a much needed rest so I just showed up for the event.

After these two started their attacks I couldn't distance myself fast enough.

I can assure you I would never let a M&G I run get that out of hand.

Terri

I organized the M & G for last year's VoV. Our group was just over 100. I did get the list of all the officers from Seattle but rechecked at thte Front Desk once I was on board and was able to make changes to correspond with the last minute staff changes. Not only did every officer I invited come but the Captain/CD/?? arranged for additional staff to attend. The only one missing was the officer on the bridge. Not only did each one address our group but they also stayed and mingled for the remainder of our scheduled time. We were also treated to champagne and all sorts of food.

I did make it clear to my fellow passengers during the planning stages that no private excursion organization was to take place as long as any ship's officers were present.

I wish you as good luck with your M & G this year!

This thread is quite interesting. I've organized 3 M&G (none on HAL), but I never even thought to specifically send invitations to the crew or attendees. I contacted the ship's coordinator and scheduled the event. Then listed the date and time on our Roll Call.

On Princess, the turn-out was low with 11 of the 20 signed up attending. No crew members attended.

On NCL I had 58 of the 60 signed up attending. While the Captain did not appear, the CD, HD and approximately 8 others showed up and stayed for some time, with the best refreshments I've seen at a M&G.

On Celebrity, the M&G is official and as long as you have 25 guests signed up, they provide the refreshments and host the event. The CD ran the M&G, had a photographer come by and many of the officers popped in (still no Captain).

I think each ship on each line may give different results. The coordinator on NCL said it was totally up to the Captain how involved the crew would be in the M&G.

As others have posted, I feel the M&G is a social hour for the passengers to finally meet after months of talking on-line, not to interact with the crew. JMHO

I think some passengers delude themselves with their own importance to the crew. When it comes to the Marine Department (Captain, Chief Engineer, etc) their main concern is operating the ship safely and efficiently. The cargo (passengers) are important to satisfy but are not the primary focus of the Marine Department folks. Attending passenger related functions takes them away from their normal workday tasks (and they are very busy) and while enjoyed by some of the crew it is seen a burden by others. As to the Hotel Department, that is a different issue since they do interact much more with the cargo (us) and it is very nice when some of them visit the M&G. One can hope that the passengers have enough social skills not to make this a whining session....but we have met all kinds on cruises.

Hank

I had arranged 3 M&Gs for our 2012 Voyage of the Vikings cruise. I went to the front desk and asked the person there the names of the officers I wanted to invite. If they've changed their policy, she may not give out the names, but, it doesn't hurt to be able to send invitations. I was pleasantly surprised that any showed up. The captain came to the last one.

Do they not give you a flyer with the names and photos of the six top officers on Embarkation day?

Do they not give you a flyer with the names and photos of the six top officers on Embarkation day?

No Flyers on HAL.. But the officers usually are listed in the daily Newsletter "On Location" which you find in your cabin when you board..

Have you received flyers from other cruise lines?

No Flyers on HAL.. But the officers usually are listed in the daily Newsletter "On Location" which you find in your cabin when you board..

Have you received flyers from other cruise lines?

Yes, on royal Caribbean and celebrity. Can't remember princess

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Several years ago on a Bermuda cruise, HAL officers arrived 30 minutes after the meet & greet started. Their arrival halted all conversation as some cc members wanted to ask questions. During the rest of the event, the officers sat in a row and answered the questions. They informed me that this was how they wanted to interact with the passengers. Thank heavens, there were no complaints, only questions from curious minds; however, these officers had probably heard the same questions on every cruise. They were gracious enough not to show it. Some passengers later complained that they would have preferred to keep talking to other passengers. A few even got up & left.

At another M&G, no officer showed up, and all the passengers complained about that too.

I stopped doing the M&G at that point. All of you, who are still willing to volunteer for this job, have my gratitude & admiration. As for what appears to be HAL's new policy, some passengers may prefer it while others won't. OP, you've done all you could to assure you have a good event. Go & enjoy yourself. I hope your event goes well; I'm sure it will whether officers appear or not.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

That is disappointing. I always enjoy the officers' comments as they are a little more informative and personal than the larger ship-wide gatherings.

Lisa has recently suggested that she has a hunch that HAL may be discontinuing the Captain's Receptions, the VIP Parties and the Medallion Parties (the one before the Mariner's Brunch).

I am wondering if this no-more-Officers at the Meet and Greets is the first to go in this plan.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Lisa has recently suggested that she has a hunch that HAL may be discontinuing the Captain's Reception, the VIP Parties and the Medallion Party (the one before the mariner's Brunch).

I am wondering if this no-more-Officers at the Meet and Greets is the first to go in this plan.

you might be on to something there

Last fall I organized a M&G and we sent invites to the Capt., CD, & Guest Relation and all attended. One couple did get a bit out of line by complaining to the Capt about things that where out of his control i.e. missed ports, change of ports. This couple where like this for the whole cruise. There is no accounting for bad manners. I did send a thank you to all the officers that attended after. I think they will come if they can get away from their duties.

Allan

While it can be interesting and informative, I have never understood the fascination rubbing shoulders with the captain, the cruise director, etc. While these people may act charming and exude warmth, I am sure there are many places they need to be or at least would rather be. If this sounds harsh I apologize. While a few may enjoy this time with passengers, I'm sure that many of them are very good at acting interested when hearing the same questions and comments for the hundredth or thousandth time. As a corporate wife for over 30 years I, too, became very good at looking very interested in attending dinners that held no interest for me whatsoever. When you ask the officers if they really want to attend these functions, do you think they're going to tell you they don't?

I would rather spend the time getting to know my fellow passengers with whom I might develop a true relationship.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I'VE been to many meet n greets. Several yrs ago before the cutbacks began to be so noticeable the m n g s were truly to meet the people in person that you had been talking to on CC., BUT a certain group tried to use it as a forum to try to organize excursions and collect money for same. This was not nice and the staff became upset and with the operation. The more sensible cruisers did some "self policing" in the group but the damage was done. Then HAL set up a m n g on embarkation day in a cubby hole (computer room) that didnt have room for more than 15 people. Nobody attended because they were busy looking for their cabin,luggage, dir to life boat drill etc.

Finally the CCers got it back to the crows nest on 1st am at sea and it was well attended and SR officers started showing up. Unfortunately a few over zealous passengers tried to turn it into a "BITCHING" session.

Ive heard some of our group before the meeting talking about how we should use our mass to lean on staff for free drinks and a private party where we could lobby for CC perks. This made the event planner (who is the boss of the CD) very leary of doing too much for us. Now the policy change has arrived in writing..

I know many of the CAPTS and HD 's and have left early because I was embarassed