What currency in Greece?

bookworm61

Not that I know anything, but the resignation of the Greek finance minister makes me a bit hopeful that perhaps a deal can be reached. Also reports that even Germany is ok with humanitarian aid. Reuters seems to post all sides. You can pick and chose which ones to believe. Lol. I follow on Twitter.

We can all believe and ignore what we decide is of value. BUT, why attack those who might not have the same viewpoints as you?

QUOTE]

Taking a more 'intellectual' approach to understanding a problem is certainly not for everyone.

I have really found some of the articles about this situation to be fantastic and in some cases, journalism at it's best. I am happy to be reading sources in the UK, Sweden and Spain along with the US to get an interesting balance of information.

What is really interesting is going back and reading the articles from the June of 2012 'crisis' and see how they relate to the situation that is once again occurring.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-13856580

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/06/14/business/global/understanding-the-european-crisis.html?_r=0

http://dollarsandsense.org/archives/2013/0513vanderveen.html

Edited by MADflyer

Not that I know anything, but the resignation of the Greek finance minister makes me a bit hopeful that perhaps a deal can be reached. .

That is indeed one solid piece of good news - the guy's rhetoric was divisive and antagonistic toward those who hold the keys to the vault, not a clever thing to do regardless of the rights & wrongs.

And he has stirred up resentment not only amongst European politicians, but also amongst many ordinary European people - whose money it is. Words like "terrorism" and "un-democratic" have created a friction that will hinder Greece in both the short-term and the long-term.

His "resignation" may have been intended as an olive branch.

But the Greek PM is continuing to play at brinkmanship.

I had thought that calling for a referendum to be held after the deadline for agreement was a step too far. But no.

I then thought that failing to agree to the bailout terms by that date was a step too far. But no.

I then thought that a "no" vote was a step too far, but again it wasn't.

That guy is perhaps a lot more astute than I'd given him credit for!! :rolleyes:

It does mean that the whole sorry business has been dragged out for a very long time, pretty un-nerving for the Greek people and to a much lesser extent for those with up-coming visits to Greece.

And even though dwindling cash in Greek banks might hasten the end-game I'm not going to make any predictions about a quick agreement or Grexit - my track record so far on predictions hasn't been too great :D

Time will tell, in the meantime hopefully the Greek PM won't take that brinkmanship one step too far.

Just my own uneducated opinion as always. ;)

JB :)

Also reports that even Germany is ok with humanitarian aid.

Even Germany? :eek:

What are they telling you in the US about about the Greek crises and the role of Germany?

Germany paid more than any other country to Greece in the last 5 years (about 130 Billion Euros, what is more than 2,000 USD for every German taxpayer), nobody denies this, even the Greek don't!

Also Germany was one of the leading countrys, pushing the aid-programs in the past, while a lot of other European countrys defeated to give Greece further money from European taxpayers!

And please, these are only the facts, no opinion! Every Greek will confirm you that!

The only discussion between Germany and Greece is, if the conditions for these programs Merkel enforced in the EU, are the right way to recover Greece and this is even in Germany a controversial issue!

"Even Germany", I can't believe what I read...

Edited by German Giant

I do have one question. How long will Greece accept Euros for payment of goods and services?

Greeks will accept Euros for as long as the Euro exists. It's like asking how long will Mexicans accept the USD.

Seems that the die is cast!

Up to last Saturday, more than 60% of the Germans wanted to leave Greece in the Euro and to give them a further aid program. Now, after the referendum and with Tsirpas insisting on a haircut on debt, as per last polls today about 80% of the Germans are of the mind „enough is enough, if they don’t want any help and have only demands on more and more money from other European taxpayers, then a Grexit is the one and only way“. Also the biggest German newspaper (BILD) opend this morning with headline „today we badly need our iron chancelor“. (This evening, the European heads of states will meet to decide about giving a new aid program or not)

One hour ago, the central European bank (EZB) defeated any emergency credits to Greek banks and I guess, even Merkel can’t ignore the opinion of 80% of her nation.

Furthermore, this morning the first European countrys (like Netherlands and Finland) still defeatet any further aid program to Greece due to the referendum.

All looks like the game is over, except Tsipras will present a complete turnaround until this evening and accept unconditional all terms Europe will demand for a new aid program!

Edited by German Giant

they were accepting euros and credit cards we faced no problem

All news in Germany are reporting, that at the moment a Greek bank crash seems to be inescapeable the next days. Good look with your plastic cards in Greece! ;)

(I can't believe, that the news are so different in UK?)

Edited by German Giant

All news in Germany are reporting, that at the moment a Greek bank crash seems to be inescapeable the next days. Good look with your plastic cards in Greece! ;)

is simple.. stop reading BILD...

I'm not so sure that the news in the UK is much different, other than that it's perhaps less partisan than in Germany (or Greece, France, etc) since the UK isn't in the Eurozone and has comparatively very little exposure to the Greek debt. So, with the greatest respect, it's perhaps more balanced than elsewhere in Europe.

I make no apology for providing this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33421521

The ECB has re-iterated that there will be no more short-term liquidity funding - indeed its rules forbid more funding without (impossible) further collateral, and all sources say that the cash in Greek banks will run out in a matter of days, so we'll not have to wait long for at least a significant development.

(but a definite conclusion in the next few days is by no means certain - the creditors have set and then extended deadlines so many times in this matter, and it wouldn't greatly surprise me to see only a temporary fudge in the next few days :rolleyes: )

A large part of the reason (perhaps the only reason) why the crisis wasn't resolved one way or the other weeks or even months ago is that Eurozone countries are divided, with for instance France desperate to keep Greece in the Euro and even writing off part (30%) of Greece's debt to achieve that. Other countries such as Germany, Slovakia, Estonia and even tiny Malta that are owed considerably more (either in total or per capita) understandably take a tougher line.

Perhaps "divide & conquer" is part of Tsipras' strategy, but it sure ain't good for European harmony.

Much has been made of Eurozone countries' fear that a Grexit might cause a domino effect with other weak economies such as Portugal or Italy being next to leave. Certainly a concern for Eurozone empire-builders.

But wouldn't concessions and debt write-offs set a dangerous precedent for other struggling Eurozone economies?

"Let's not implement unpopular austerity measures, we can get bailed out by our partners and then ask them to write-off a big chunk like they did for Greece back in 2015."

So very glad the UK decided to stick with sterling. ;)

In the meantime, despite reports of very few ATMs being empty and no huge lines and few reports of problems with acceptance of foreign credit cards, I'd still suggest that those going to Greece shortly should play safe and take enough cash euros for their needs.

So very glad the UK decided to stick with sterling. ;)

YES!! Agree on the UK, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, being smarter and so much wiser for not getting connected into the euro tangle. Am I correct for these five nations, each for different reasons, who passed on the "opportunity" to be using the euro?

The key question? How much have been bad decisions by . . . the Greek people picking poor leaders . . . OR . . . those picked leaders being poor performers? Hard to sort out certain of those questions. Then, there are the leaders of the European nations not knowing when and how to enforce some "teeth" in the performance requirements for getting added borrowings . . . and . . . not having to pay back some of what had been previously loaned. It's a read mess! By later Sunday, we will know lots more for how the rest of this plays out and/or gets pushed to delay any type of "Judgement Day".

From the Wall Street Journal story within the last few minutes, they have this headline: "Eurozone Sets Sunday Deadline for Greece Financing Deal" with this sub-head: "Athens seeks interim financing but creditors insist on measures rejected by voters".

Here are the key story highlights: "Eurozone leaders set Greece a Sunday deadline to come up with new and even-tougher economic measures if the country wants to avoid defaulting and crashing out of the currency union. As a sweetener, leaders raised the possibility of some short-term financing and—most important for Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras—action down the road to relieve Greece’s crushing debt burden. Obstacles to an agreement that keeps Greece in the eurozone remain high. Most notably, the policy overhauls and budget cuts demanded go beyond those that were resoundingly rejected by Greek voters in a referendum last weekend."

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/solution-to-greek-crisis-wont-come-overnight-juncker-warns-1436255691

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,632 views for this posting.

From http://www.ports.cruisett.com

For the month of July 2015, here are the various ships scheduled in Athens:

8th Rhapsody Of The Seas

9th Vision Of The Seas, MSC Musica, MSC Opera

10th Star Pride

11th Celebrity Equinox, Wind Star

14th Norwegian Jade, Splendour Of The Seas

15th Norwegian Spirit, Island Princess

16th MSC Musica

17th Celebrity Reflection

18th Emerald Princess, Nieuw Amsterdam, Costa Celebration

20th Celebrity Equinox

22nd Splendour Of The Seas

23rd Norwegian Spirit, Rhapsody Of The Seas, MSC Musica, MSC Opera

24th Celebrity Constellation

25th Wind Star

26th Zuiderdam, Star Pride

28th Splendour Of The Seas, Celebrity Reflection

30th Island Princess, MSC Musica

This totals up to about 63,000 passengers scheduled in Athens for the remaining part of this month. Plus, crew, plus stops in other Greek ports and islands.

Good luck for these upcoming passengers and staff. Plus, the people of Greece.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 201,430 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

RCL's supplier in Greece for RCI, Celebrity and Azamara stated today:

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/stylianopoulos.html

All necessary measures have been made way ahead of time so as to ensure ability to operate and execute cruise operations and services under such contingencies, he stated.

‘I know that every agency that serves cruise ships in Greece has acted in a similar fashion we have been expecting these controls for at least three months.’

Looking at the wider Greek cruise sector Stylianoplous believes that the slow grwoth rate in the past five years of austerity ‘will likely continue if not slump somewhat’ due to the current situation.

However as today begins a new phase in Brussels the cruise veteran is hopeful that logic and sanity will prevail all around. ‘Greece is a peaceful country going through a tough time but the fact remains Greece is a pro when it comes to tourism and also, the Greek people fully understand that this is one of their last remaining lifelines,’ he remarked.

Still Euros.

Stay tuned....

Keith

Though as Oregon's post, even if Greece exits euroland, euros will be accepted (errrrr, make that "welcomed") for months & possibly years ahead. But if that exit happens, be sure to take plenty of low-denomination euros - you won't want unstable Drachmas in your change.

Or maybe the bailout deadline will be extended day by day and week by week into the months & possibly years ahead :D

Next Sunday's "deadline" is at least three postponements since the deadline of Tuesday last week. :rolleyes:

Yep, stay tuned.

Next Sunday's "deadline" is at least three postponements since the deadline of Tuesday last week. :rolleyes:

This is even hard cricized by Merkels own sister party as well as her coalition party, also by her voters and the biggest German newspapers, so I guess it will be definitely be the last deadline!

Yesterday even the british Government was reproved in the European parliament at a speach about a new bailout, for repeated interjections with "the Greeks voted NO".

After Netherlands and Finland, now also Spain took a stand against a haircut of debt for Greece and against a new aid program to their own conditions.

At the moment, only France an Italy still remained in clearly supporting a new aid program for Greece, but the french president Hollande has always still done what Merkel told him to do.

The president of the Euopean parliament said yesterday, that they already have a plan for the Grexit in the drawer.

Assume that the Game is over now and the new deadline is only to show the world, that they tried everything to help Greece, but Tsipras didn't wanted.

Edited by German Giant

All this worry and hoopla...On the Rhapsody now, headed to Italy and the last 4 days were in Thessaloniki, Mykonos, Santorini and Athens. Euro was taken and easily obtained, credit cards were taken (even after they said no take just cash, if you say you have no cash) Very few lines if any at ATM's. No reason to fear a travel to Greece at this time, during the day no signs of up rest or violence....don't believe everything the media is trying to sell!

That list is not 100% accurate. Celebrity dropped the 7/20 Athens stop many months ago. The ship will be overnighting in Istanbul on the front end instead.

Yes, certain of these websites showing scheduled docking are put together when the original schedules are put out by the cruise lines. As things get closer, schedules will get modified. That happened with us earlier this year when the cruise line "flipped" the days when we would be in St. Maartens and St. Barts to lessen the "congestion" and allow for docking versus tender service.

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals for our visiting there and nearby. There have been over 11,056 views on this posting. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

All this worry and hoopla...On the Rhapsody now, headed to Italy and the last 4 days were in Thessaloniki, Mykonos, Santorini and Athens. Euro was taken and easily obtained, credit cards were taken (even after they said no take just cash, if you say you have no cash) Very few lines if any at ATM's. No reason to fear a travel to Greece at this time, during the day no signs of up rest or violence....don't believe everything the media is trying to sell!

Appreciate this posting and to hear of your "success" while visiting Greece. Look forward to getting added updates from Nick in Athens and others. Sadly, have not heard from Nick lately.

Clearly this upcoming Sunday deadline is important for when and how things will change and/or evolve to impact cruise travelers and visitors to historic Greece and its many charming, scenic islands.

GENERALIZING??: Whether it be Greece, the Baltics and/or other parts of the world, it can be, sometimes, hard to generalizing for what currencies to have, who accepts credit cards, etc. Different businesses in varied cities will "handle" things in a wide range of ways. I am still of the view that if on a cruise visiting a Greek port in the next few months, that your sailing company will stay on top of things and be creative to try to make the best possible experience available.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 25,218 views for these postings.

Yes, certain of these websites showing scheduled docking are put together when the original schedules are put out by the cruise lines. As things get closer, schedules will get modified. That happened with us earlier this year when the cruise line "flipped" the days when we would be in St. Maartens and St. Barts to lessen the "congestion" and allow for docking versus tender service.

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals for our visiting there and nearby. There have been over 11,056 views on this posting. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

off topic, but you won't be docking in St. Barths, that is strictly a tender port using ships tenders.

Appreciate this posting and to hear of your "success" while visiting Greece. Look forward to getting added updates from Nick in Athens and others. Sadly, have not heard from Nick lately.

Clearly this upcoming Sunday deadline is important for when and how things will change and/or evolve to impact cruise travelers and visitors to historic Greece and its many charming, scenic islands.

GENERALIZING??: Whether it be Greece, the Baltics and/or other parts of the world, it can be, sometimes, hard to generalizing for what currencies to have, who accepts credit cards, etc. Different businesses in varied cities will "handle" things in a wide range of ways. I am still of the view that if on a cruise visiting a Greek port in the next few months, that your sailing company will stay on top of things and be creative to try to make the best possible experience available.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 25,218 views for these postings.

All the doom and gloom you are preaching is over the top and uncalled for.

Greece will continue to welcome tourists and will do everything possible to fully accommodate them. Credit cards are not going to be an issue. Cash may be in short supply, but the remedy is to take the cash you will need with you, it's not rocket science.

Nicks probably still in the ATM line.

Actually, Nick probably got tired of giving accurate on-the-ground reports and then coming back and finding that instead of searching through existing threads to find answers, people kept asking the same questions over and over. :rolleyes: