Gratuities

JABrown104

15% is added to all drink purchases. So that handles the bartender and waiters. If one goes out of the way to serve you, a cash tip will be appreciated.

Depends on the cruise line on the percentage, Norwegian charges an 18% gratuity for bar services.

We plan on Pre-paying gratuities, who else will we have to tip with cash? Room service and luggage porters I know. What about waiters in bars or on the pool deck?

outside of the two you mention no on else needs an additional gratuity at all. you can certainly add if you wish but it does not need to be cash either, you can add any extra on any bar tab that you are given( on top of the 15-18% they so nicely pre charge you for so you don't have to do math on vacation)

You don't HAVE to tip any of them.

Most tip Room service.

Most tip porters.

Many tip room steward and waiters extra.

Some tip Bar tenders extra.

Some seem to start handing notes out the minute they board other's leave it till the last night others tip as they go, it is up to you.

A couple questions about ordering soft drinks at lounges/bars and tipping...

1. Can I use my pre-paid soda program to get sodas at lounges/bars?

2. Should I tip my server for my 'free' soda? If so, how much per glass/refill?

It would help to know what line you are on but

A couple questions about ordering soft drinks at lounges/bars and tipping...

1. Can I use my pre-paid soda program to get sodas at lounges/bars?

Yes

2. Should I tip my server for my 'free' soda? If so, how much per glass/refill?

Some do some don't but there is already a tip 15-18% generally, built into the cost of the soft drink package.

Personally I don't but may tip the bar tenders that have served me most often towards the end of the cruise.

Sorry, we're on Regal Princess (if that makes any difference in your answer).

Thank you for your answers, Gut2407 :)

Same answer then.

You do know it is gun soda? Not cans.

Aloha :D

I was confused about all the questions about tipping on the cruise and my wife cleared this up for me. We have no choice about tipping. RCI automatically charges you for tips on your cruise.

10. Tipping – So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we’ve simplified the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean has implemented the Automatic Gratuity Program, the program is available in two options:

a. For the convenience of guests, pre-paid gratuities may be arranged online or added to your booking by your travel agent, before your sail date, at a daily rate of $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests).

b. If a guest chooses not to pre-pay gratuities, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis.

This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are based on customary industry standards. These gratuities apply to guests of all ages. Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to any bar service beverages, mini bar items and Spa & Salon services.

Q: Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

A: A service charge of 18% has already been included in the purchase price. You will not have to pay additional gratuities unless you desire to do so.

If you don't buy a beverage package and charge your account when you buy a beverage in a bar or restaurant,

"bar service beverages, ..., your bill has a 15% gratuity automatically added.
If you take something out of the minibar in your suite or use charge a Spa or Salon service
A 15% gratuity is automatically added to any ... mini bar items and Spa & Salon services.
If you want to personally tip a specific person that is providing you with a service, you can most certainly personally hand that person the tip, like the room service waiter, or if the bartender is giving you excellent service, you can certainly tip additionally.

Just remember that $12/day for a 9 day cruise is $108 for the cruise, or in the case of my wife and myself, $216 for our cruise. For a family of 6, that is $648 for a 9 day cruise, and that includes your kids ! ! !

I hope this information helps ! ! !

Aloha :D

This is how I look at it. The cruise lines want to attract you by a low price, so you sign up. You then discover you are going to have an added mandatory surcharge for gratuities. But that is not the fault of the service staff. You are going to pay to supplement all their salaries, and you have no choice in the matter. In my view, this puts me back at ground zero for tipping - so far I have paid all I was required to pay (no matter how you label it). Now I have to decide if and when to tip.

We always tip our room steward twenty US dollars cash upon boarding. This is the staff person we will have the most daily contact with on our cruise, and so will have a big effect on our comfort. We usually have no special demands, but we've had situations where the was a migraine, an attack of colitis, like that. And then we need the steward to work with us, disrupt his/her routine, get ice or more towels, keep the room dark and quiet, things like that. They have never let us down, and have sometimes gone above and beyond. One time we missed the laundry special, and the steward made it happen for us. We always tip them again before we leave, again $20 US.

We usually choose a favourite bar for pre-dinner, and again later, and we stick to that bar. We tip a couple UD$ cash over and above the added service surcharge. Our experience is that we don't have to wait, and our drinks are generous. (This is why I'm not a fan of the robot bartenders.)

Other than that, unless somebody does something special, the pre-paid gratuities cover it.

I forgot to say, we always tip room service attendants for every delivery. Two US$ for a small tray, more if it's a big load. My understanding is that these servers are the lowest of the low on the gratuities totem pole. Also, if somebody is willing to bring me coffee in the dark and be cheerful about it, I celebrate their effort!

• 1 month later...
Okay thanks. :) I was thinking that I'd like to leave a small gift with any "extra" gratuity I give them for the week. I guess it'll need to be something gender neutral. [emoji6]

I am not a big fan of gifts, but if you go that way remember they love in a shoe box with very little room and may have strict dietary requirements.

I believe the best gifts are $$$$ and mention in surveys.

I am not a big fan of gifts, but if you go that way remember they love in a shoe box with very little room and may have strict dietary requirements.

I believe the best gifts are $$$$ and mention in surveys.

Yes, I've totally thought of that. I'm mainly thinking of a fun way to present the money (the true gift) not necessarily a tangible concrete gift item. If that makes any sense. lol

Yes, I've totally thought of that. I'm mainly thinking of a fun way to present the money (the true gift) not necessarily a tangible concrete gift item. If that makes any sense. lol

Perfect sense.

I also find a nice handwritten note to head of department or head of hotel seems to be greatly appreciated, I guess like all of us anything that helps get the next contract or next promotion is always welcome.

I've been reading all sorts of posts about tipping and who to tip. I know that most cruise lines have a prepaid gratuity and we'll be paying that as well. However, in the posts about extra tipping (cabin stewards, wait staff, etc.) no one really mentions HOW MUCH they tip. I don't mind tipping extra for quality service but I don't want to be the one who tips $1-2 when the 'norm' is $5. Is there a 'standard' tip for different levels of servers/service?

I've been reading all sorts of posts about tipping and who to tip. I know that most cruise lines have a prepaid gratuity and we'll be paying that as well. However, in the posts about extra tipping (cabin stewards, wait staff, etc.) no one really mentions HOW MUCH they tip. I don't mind tipping extra for quality service but I don't want to be the one who tips $1-2 when the 'norm' is $5. Is there a 'standard' tip for different levels of servers/service?

Good question! I was just coming to ask a similar one. [emoji4]

We will be in a basic midship balcony room so I'm assuming we will only have a room steward to tip. Correct? How much do most people tip for normal average service? If I know the average, I can then bump it up should I happen to get (what I feel is) excellent service.

Good question! I was just coming to ask a similar one. [emoji4]

We will be in a basic midship balcony room so I'm assuming we will only have a room steward to tip. Correct? How much do most people tip for normal average service? If I know the average, I can then bump it up should I happen to get (what I feel is) excellent service.

This is really up to each passenger and there is no "normal" amount as it depends on what extra was done, etc. We've generally left $20 for a week per cabin. Another thing to keep in mind is providing written feedback to the Hotel Director regarding the job individuals do- that can lead to bonuses and promotions. Check with the Guest Service desk to see if they have a form you can fill out for that, but a simple note will do.