Anyone Else Get a Really Weird Survey Email?

kyriecat

Did anyone else get a request to take a survey from Celebrity yesterday? I received the following email:

Dear Valued Guest,

We are inviting a select group to participate in a survey that will help us better understand our guests' thoughts on Celebrity Cruises, the brand. By completing this survey, you will help to enhance our products and services.

The survey will take <5 minutes to complete. We hope you'll make your opinion count as your feedback is very important to us.

Please be assured that all of your responses will remain strictly confidential and will only be used to improve products and services at Celebrity Cruises.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

I clicked on the link, expecting to see questions about the service, cabins, etc. Instead I had 3 questions:

If Celebrity were a car, what would it be?

If Celebrity were an animal, what would it be?

If Celebrity were a celebrity, who would it be?

How do those questions help to enhance products and services? Am I the only one who received the survey? Was it a real survey from Celebrity?

After seeing the questions, I thought it was a spoof and closed the window. I ran anti-virus and malware programs to make sure I didn't accidentally infect my computer, but neither program picked up anything.

they posted these same (weird) questions on Facebook. Sounds like they are creating some sort of marketing campaign. How this will attract new affluent younger cruisers who want to sail in suites escapes me....but I'm not on Celebrity's marketing team.

I generally do market surveys...my graduate degree is in Market Research so it's interesting to see how companies use and misuse surveys. This one, however, would be one I skipped.

Same email, and saw it on their FB too.

When I get one of these that will have no impact on life, I reply with off the wall answers. Some College grad in an Ad agency has sold someone in the marketing dept. on this. It happens with business of all kinds, especially when trying to get thru a job interview process.

Take our personality test, it will tell us if you can do the job.

Edited by wallie5446

they posted these same (weird) questions on Facebook. Sounds like they are creating some sort of marketing campaign. How this will attract new affluent younger cruisers who want to sail in suites escapes me....but I'm not on Celebrity's marketing team.

I generally do market surveys...my graduate degree is in Market Research so it's interesting to see how companies use and misuse surveys. This one, however, would be one I skipped.

Yes, Celebrity seems to be going after a different demographic. "Modern Luxury", right? They really should be targeting retiring Baby Boomers, who have Cash. The new Millenials are for the most part, broke, and will not be able to afford the now much higher cost "Suite Class" accommodations.

We noticed on our recent Alaska Cruise several attempts to target a younger audience. Funny thing was, the average age on our ship was probably 55-60.

The music being pumped everywhere was primarily bad and new R&B, Rap, Hip Hop, etc. It was totally inappropriate for the audience. The Martini Bar especially was absolutely obnoxious and loud, and where it is centered in the Atrium area, you could not avoid it. I know there is a lot of talk here on the piped music. Now if they played some Rolling Stones, Johhny Cash, the Beatles, etc, that is geared for the people on board, I think the audience would not have minded. Weird what Celebrity is trying to do.

The new "Branding" by Celebrity quite frankly is not the Celebrity we used to know.

Edited by curtdesilets
spelling and additional stuff

They really should be targeting retiring Baby Boomers, who have Cash. The new Millenials are for the most part, broke, and will not be able to afford the now much higher cost "Suite Class" accommodations.

Thank you. Now that DH and I are empty nesters and almost nearing retirement, Celebrity seems to be doing everything in their power to drive us away instead of trying to keep us as loyal customers.

We had always planned that we would spend most of our retirement money taking Celebrity cruises but now we are not so sure.

An Edsel.

A Dodo bird.

Lady Gaga.

Hey Celebrity, let the marketing dept. chew on those answers for a while.

Silly questions that sound like dumb corporate stuff from 20 years ago...

YOU could of course always look back a few years, maybe to the days of “Let Us Exceed Your Expectations” and provide ALL. the things that made Celebrity what it WAS. Sure, maybe a few dollars more, but without the need to spend on all the specialty this and that's I would be willing to ante up. It seemed to work and provided a great cruise experience to, from what I recall, young and old as well as new and seasond cruisers....

There are plenty of other lines that provide ships with more passengers than the populations of the ports they visit, robot bartenders, dizzying light shows shown on programed rotating video screens, zip lines and all the things for those who enjoy them.

OMO

bosco

An Edsel.

A Dodo bird.

Lady Gaga.

Hey Celebrity, let the marketing dept. chew on those answers for a while.

Silly questions that sound like dumb corporate stuff from 20 years ago...

YOU could of course always look back a few years, maybe to the days of “Let Us Exceed Your Expectations” and provide ALL. the things that made Celebrity what it WAS. Sure, maybe a few dollars more, but without the need to spend on all the specialty this and that's I would be willing to ante up. It seemed to work and provided a great cruise experience to, from what I recall, young and old as well as new and seasond cruisers....

There are plenty of other lines that provide ships with more passengers than the populations of the ports they visit, robot bartenders, dizzying light shows shown on programed rotating video screens, zip lines and all the things for those who enjoy them.

OMO

bosco

Great post.....grass is greener ( which they make the reps recite when you call ) and picnic basket bearing butlers also leaves us puzzled.....keep "modern luxury", and "exceeding expectations".....sell classy not trashy!

If Celebrity was a car what would it be?

An articulated bus

If Celebrity was an animal what would it be?

A pirate's parrot. Arggghhhh

If Celebrity was a Celebrity who would it be?

Tinker Bell

Maybe this is why I didn't get the email.

If Celebrity were a car, what would it be? A Trabant (based on their website issues)

If Celebrity were an animal, what would it be? A duckbill Platypus (Hard to categorize)

If Celebrity were a celebrity, who would it be? Kung Fu' actor David Carradine found dead (R.I.P. Grasshopper) According to Thailand police, American actor David Carradine was found hanging by a rope in his hotel room in Thailand -- Allegedly died pleasuring himself

I also got this survey and did answer it. I tried to skip those 3 dumb questions, but it would not let me, so I answered no to each question. I like some of answers posted above. :)

I'm not sure if I am relieved to know that was a real survey from Celebrity and not a virus-infected spoof or if I should be worried that Celebrity's marketing department took a "recreational" field trip to Colorado.

I don't follow X on FB so I didn't realize that those questions had been posted there.

I'm not really sure why I got the survey since I haven't cruised with Celebrity since 2012 and being in my mid-40s, I am probably not their target demographic. I have another cruise booked on Silhouette for next year so that may explain it. I'm really not good with word association so they probably wouldn't have liked my answers.

Last year my company was doing marketing research because the PR folks thought we should be known as the "Ferrari of our industry." They showed us a picture of a 458 Spider and told us to write down the first two things that popped into our head. My thoughts were overpriced and compensating for a lack of masculinity. Apparently the correct response was quick performance and high quality. OOPS! :o

I'm not really sure why I got the survey since I haven't cruised with Celebrity since 2012 and being in my mid-40s, I am probably not their target demographic. I have another cruise booked on Silhouette for next year so that may explain it. I'm really not good with word association so they probably wouldn't have liked my answers.

au contraire...I believe you are their target demographic which is why you got the "touch" via email. You see, your theoretical kids are off to or out of college, you are in the prime earnings period of your life...you have money to spend and Celebrity wants you to spend those extra dollars with them.

I'm not sure if I am relieved to know that was a real survey from Celebrity and not a virus-infected spoof or if I should be worried that Celebrity's marketing department took a "recreational" field trip to Colorado.

I don't follow X on FB so I didn't realize that those questions had been posted there.

Last year my company was doing marketing research because the PR folks thought we should be known as the "Ferrari of our industry." They showed us a picture of a 458 Spider and told us to write down the first two things that popped into our head. My thoughts were overpriced and compensating for a lack of masculinity. Apparently the correct response was quick performance and high quality. OOPS! :o

I agree with ghstudio...I am in my upper 40s and I got the survey also...I'm guessing that makes us their target audience, but I don't quite know how to answer it...what I think they "currently" are or what I'd like them to be. Even then, I don't see how it tells them anything!! My best advise is to put the Martini Bar back like it used to be!!! But they don't seem to much care about that!

They are smart to target you "kids"...but IMHO they get an F for the content of the email/survey....it's out of touch with what would interest the very folks they are targetting...in fact it's about 180 degrees out of phase....it's childish and to me, it doesn't have any relation to "modern luxury". The suggested target audience is anything but childish...so the survey sends the wrong message. Cute doesn't sell cruises....at least I don't think it does.

New CEO.... New Direction.....

Let's see where they go with their animals and cars taking celebrities....:confused:

Good observation. And, I hate to over-state the obvious, BUT --

The new CEO clearly has time for this nonsense (silly surveys and picnic baskets), yet, there is NO improvement (in fact, things seem to be deteriorating) in the X website?! :rolleyes:

My husband and I are frequent Celebrity cruisers and are also both puzzled and amused by Celebrity's new focus on "Modern Luxury." On our last Eclipse cruise we witnessed the last theatre performance of one of their most popular entertainers who hinted that his long standing contract was not renewed due to the

company's push toward appealing to a younger crowd. Makes us oldies with cash to spend think twice about future cruises with their line!

Did anyone else get a request to take a survey from Celebrity yesterday? I received the following email:

Dear Valued Guest,

We are inviting a select group to participate in a survey that will help us better understand our guests' thoughts on Celebrity Cruises, the brand. By completing this survey, you will help to enhance our products and services.

The survey will take <5 minutes to complete. We hope you'll make your opinion count as your feedback is very important to us.

Please be assured that all of your responses will remain strictly confidential and will only be used to improve products and services at Celebrity Cruises.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

I clicked on the link, expecting to see questions about the service, cabins, etc. Instead I had 3 questions:

How do those questions help to enhance products and services? Am I the only one who received the survey? Was it a real survey from Celebrity?

After seeing the questions, I thought it was a spoof and closed the window. I ran anti-virus and malware programs to make sure I didn't accidentally infect my computer, but neither program picked up anything.

Were these survey questions written by the same person that sent the survey on the overnights?

Now that DH and I are empty nesters and almost nearing retirement, Celebrity seems to be doing everything in their power to drive us away instead of trying to keep us as loyal customers.[/i

Well put, CruisingChick!

Betsy

My wife (who does not book the cruises - although has great input ie yea or nay) got an invite to do the survey...

Thought the same (virus) and trashed it... WHO sends out a 25 minute survey nowadays?

Edited by bobsfamily

I missed the survey on the overnights? Did it also ask about animals and cars? Maybe they should have asked about veggies and politicians instead. :rolleyes:

Celebrity should have sent the survey to my non-existent children. Maybe they would understand it.

When I get a survey from a supposedly reputable source that contains questions so bizarre that I think it must be a spoof and feel the need to disinfect my computer, it does not make me think favorably of the company. Hopefully Celebrity will find the right demographic for their questions. This mid-40s engineer is not that demographic! (I'm not cancelling my cruise over it, though!) :D