Religious Services

There is usually a listing for a type of of non-denominational service in the Sunday Compass. Also, check the message board near guest services. I have seen postings where traveling priests, ministers, etc offer various services.

That has been my experience across lines.

My mother in-law asked me today if there were church services and I don't remember if they have them...

"Church services" are pretty much a thing of the past, unless you are cruising at Easter or Christmas. What has become the norm these days is for there to be a video presentation/sermon (usually Joel Osteen) in the theater or the cinema on Sunday morning. It will be listed in the printed Cruise Compass.

I've noticed Friday night Jewish services and Saturday night/Sunday Christian services listed on the daily newsletter, also asking for volunteers to lead the services.

I have never seen a request for volunteers to lead the services.

Must look closer, I wonder how/if they vet the volunteers.

"Church services" are pretty much a thing of the past, unless you are cruising at Easter or Christmas. What has become the norm these days is for there to be a video presentation/sermon (usually Joel Osteen) in the theater or the cinema on Sunday morning. It will be listed in the printed Cruise Compass.

That's another I am yet to see, generally they seem to prefer to say "No one to run it."

However some Churches seem to think a video by one of the "Names" in their organisation is a service.

I wonder who chooses which stars video to show for each group if they go down that path.

That's another I am yet to see, generally they seem to prefer to say "No one to run it."

However some Churches seem to think a video by one of the "Names" in their organisation is a service.

I wonder who chooses which stars video to show for each group if they go down that path.

Karen is correct. Most of the time now they just run video services with Joel Osteen.

As for volunteers.........they are looking for members of the clergy, not lay people.

Karen is correct. Most of the time now they just run video services with Joel Osteen.

Thanks as I said I haven't seen it, but will keep an eye out.

As for volunteers.........they are looking for members of the clergy, not lay people.

I understand that my question was how do they confirm that someone is a member of the clergy?

Some denominations it is relatively easy, but others, well how do they check?

Thanks as I said I haven't seen it, but will keep an eye out.

I understand that my question was how do they confirm that someone is a member of the clergy?

Some denominations it is relatively easy, but others, well how do they check?

compass%20screen%20shot%20Joel%20Osteen%20service_zpsypooyzqc.png

I've noticed Friday night Jewish services and Saturday night/Sunday Christian services listed on the daily newsletter, also asking for volunteers to lead the services.

I can only tell you from the Jewish perspective. A room is provided by Royal to hold the Friday night and Saturday morning Shabbat service in, but it would have to be led by one or more of the participants attending. They don't provide the material to use for the service either. However on Friday night they do provide wine and challah for the traditional blessings to be said over them.

When we were on Her Majesty over Chanukah a few years ago, each night of Chanukah they set up an area at the back of the WJ for the nightly service and provided a small buffet of traditional Chanukah foods. But the service itself was lay led, by one or more of these in attendance. Everyone had a GREAT time who came.

We have always had Friday evening services set up as above. They do provide prayer books. A volunteer leads services; I have done it many times on RCI, as well as on a few other lines. (I am not a professional.)

I can only tell you from the Jewish perspective. A room is provided by Royal to hold the Friday night and Saturday morning Shabbat service in, but it would have to be led by one or more of the participants attending. They don't provide the material to use for the service either. However on Friday night they do provide wine and challah for the traditional blessings to be said over them.

When we were on Her Majesty over Chanukah a few years ago, each night of Chanukah they set up an area at the back of the WJ for the nightly service and provided a small buffet of traditional Chanukah foods. But the service itself was lay led, by one or more of these in attendance. Everyone had a GREAT time who came.

That was our Hanukkah experience on Enchantment this past December.

We also participated in a Friday night Shabbat service on our our first RCI cruise 10 years ago. The ship provided some materials, but we had a large contingent of Israeli Orthodox on the cruise who led the service and provided prayer books.

Jews don't require clergy to have a service anyway, so lay-led is never an issue. You just need someone capable of getting through the Hebrew. :)

On the annual repositioning cruises out of Boston and some other RCI cruises, Father Charles has said Mass daily. He was with us on the Serenade repo out of New Orleans this year and told me he hopes to be on the Brilliance next October for the cruise from Boston to Tampa.

Not on Rhapsody last month unfortunately. One response I got regarding Friday night was that there were no rooms available.... another was that there was no demand..... Eventually managed to get one sorted.... that's one in four weeks. They provided wine and challah....

DSCN5338.jpg

DSCN5339.jpg

Linda

I have never seen a request for volunteers to lead the services.

Must look closer, I wonder how/if they vet the volunteers.

Yes, for the Sabbath services there is a place to sign up for services. It asks if someone could volunteer to lead the worship service.

We have always had Friday evening services set up as above. They do provide prayer books. A volunteer leads services; I have done it many times on RCI, as well as on a few other lines. (I am not a professional.)

From our experiences they have not provided prayer books.

From our experiences they have not provided prayer books.

Paulette, do you remember Daniel from the Activities Staff on Navigator (he did all the trivia events)? He organized the Passover seder on our cruise in April (they even brought a Rabbi onboard to lead). We spoke to Daniel for over an hour after the seder and he told us that he organizes the Shabbat services every Friday night, and will lead it unless someone more qualified is on board. Not sure if he'll still be on Navigator in November when you go again, as he said his contract was coming up, but if he's still there it's a bonus for anyone looking for Jewish religious services, plus he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Paulette, do you remember Daniel from the Activities Staff on Navigator (he did all the trivia events)? He organized the Passover seder on our cruise in April (they even brought a Rabbi onboard to lead). We spoke to Daniel for over an hour after the seder and he told us that he organizes the Shabbat services every Friday night, and will lead it unless someone more qualified is on board. Not sure if he'll still be on Navigator in November when you go again, as he said his contract was coming up, but if he's still there it's a bonus for anyone looking for Jewish religious services, plus he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Our first and up to this point last cruise on Navigator was in 2004. I remember absolutely very little from that cruise. It was the first cruise we had ever taken and were not even sure we would like a cruise as a vacation....well, as it has happened we love cruising and we look forward to going back on Navigator in November.

To be honest, as active as we are in our temple (and we attend Shabbat services at home all the time) when we are on vacation, we are not likely to attend Shabbat services. My DH could lead the service without books, but it just is something we generally even vacation from. When we were on Her Majesty a few years ago for Chanukah and for Shabbat -- Royal did a nice job, is all I can say -- but it was totally lay led and without books.