Religious Services

Our first and up to this point last cruise on Navigator was in 2004. I remember absolutely very little from that cruise. It was the first cruise we had ever taken and were not even sure we would like a cruise as a vacation....well, as it has happened we love cruising and we look forward to going back on Navigator in November.

To be honest, as active as we are in our temple (and we attend Shabbat services at home all the time) when we are on vacation, we are not likely to attend Shabbat services. My DH could lead the service without books, but it just is something we generally even vacation from. When we were on Her Majesty a few years ago for Chanukah and for Shabbat -- Royal did a nice job, is all I can say -- but it was totally lay led and without books.

On our last several cruises they have been using the Reform: Gates of Prayer or reprints from either that or the Conservative Shabbat service.

Not on Rhapsody last month unfortunately. One response I got regarding Friday night was that there were no rooms available.... another was that there was no demand..... Eventually managed to get one sorted.... that's one in four weeks. They provided wine and challah....

Linda

Linda,

When I asked for the sign up sheet on the first week of our cruise, I was told there was no sign up sheet because it was cancelled because no one had signed up.

I guess it never occurred to guest services that one might need a sign up sheet to actually sign up for an event

M

To be honest, as active as we are in our temple (and we attend Shabbat services at home all the time) when we are on vacation, we are not likely to attend Shabbat services. My DH could lead the service without books, but it just is something we generally even vacation from. When we were on Her Majesty a few years ago for Chanukah and for Shabbat -- Royal did a nice job, is all I can say -- but it was totally lay led and without books.

I agree with this sentiment. I am VERY involved with my parish here (Episcopal), but for me vacation is just that - vacation! Even growing up with a dad who worked in a church (United Methodist), unless we were visiting family, we had no issues skipping one or even two weeks of worship services for vacation - we even *gasp* skipped Easter services one year because we were vacationing over our Spring Break which fell over Easter.

I agree with this sentiment. I am VERY involved with my parish here (Episcopal), but for me vacation is just that - vacation! Even growing up with a dad who worked in a church (United Methodist), unless we were visiting family, we had no issues skipping one or even two weeks of worship services for vacation - we even *gasp* skipped Easter services one year because we were vacationing over our Spring Break which fell over Easter.

It is a very personal thing for sure. For us we would never sail over Passover, for instance. Yes, there are some "Kosher for Passover" cruises that we could go on, but they are outrageously expensive and it would mean spending the holiday away from family and family seders are what we have done for many years.

I have been involved in many conversations with people that are disturbed that cruise lines don't provide a Sunday morning mass for people to attend. For me, the reality is, which denomination (across all religious lines) should they provide a religious leader for. I have no problem with how they handle Jewish Shabbat services, with the expectation of a lay leader.

From reading things in this thread, there isn't a uniform policy across the fleet.

• 3 months later...

I know this post is old, but thank you for the information. We have never attended a church service on a cruise before but are interested in doing so on our next cruise coming up in November. Even though we will be on vacation we would like to take the opportunity to praise God with others.

I know this post is old, but thank you for the information. We have never attended a church service on a cruise before but are interested in doing so on our next cruise coming up in November. Even though we will be on vacation we would like to take the opportunity to praise God with others.

On our 9/11cruise on Radiance, our cruise director led worship service on the

1st Sunday of our cruise. it was most inspiring.

We have also attended services in various ports of call when there on a Sunday or weekday if we can

I have been involved in many conversations with people that are disturbed that cruise lines don't provide a Sunday morning mass for people to attend. For me, the reality is, which denomination (across all religious lines) should they provide a religious leader for?

That's obvious.

Protestant. Because its cheap. ;)

It would be so easy to have someone, anyone, lead a simple non-denominational Christian service on Sunday. They could follow a simple script with basic prayers and scripture and then simply invite those present to fellowship with one another.

It amazes me that something as simple as this is not being done!

It would be so easy to have someone, anyone, lead a simple non-denominational Christian service on Sunday. They could follow a simple script with basic prayers and scripture and then simply invite those present to fellowship with one another.

It amazes me that something as simple as this is not being done!

Many wouldn't attend such a service.

You may as well just ask why not worship quietly by yourself.

We sailed last Christmas on Freedom and and my husband and I attended a beautiful Catholic Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve (I don't remember if there was a mass offered on Christmas Day.) It was held in the theater and was well attended. There were many staff members and Officers in attendance, Passengers volunteered as lectors and altar severs. It was very moving.

I have sailed during holidays and non-holidays.

In quite a few of the cruises I have taken there have been a sizeable group of people onboard who brought their own items from home to hold a Friday night Seder (shabbat). We have traveled a few times with someone who was raised Orthrodox, although he isn't adhering to being orthodox anymore, he has gone to the events.

In 2011, there was a Rabbi onboard Allure to hold Hanukkah events. It was done in the Windjammer. Potato pancakes, donuts (sorry I dont know the proper name) Challah, and kosher wine were provided. It was very nice!

IMG_1332.jpg

There was also a church mass/ gathering on Christmas Eve/Day at midnight. They always have the Joel Osteen videos, every cruise. I know a Catholic priest who works for a seminary here in South Florida. Every year he is invited to go on a cruise for Christmas and Easter to host a Catholic Mass. Next time I see him I will ask which cruise lines he has done this for.

I don't think they could possible host every form of Christianity & Judaism, they can vary so widely. They just choose what is most mainstream.

Do you realize how many different protestant denominations there are??

1. Most Protestant denominations get along with each other.

2. The service could be ecumenical, a basic service with scripture, prayer and an inspirational reading that would attract all Christians, Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox alike.

I have been involved in many conversations with people that are disturbed that cruise lines don't provide a Sunday morning mass for people to attend.

Holland America offers a daily RC mass on all of its cruises, but I believe that it's the only one to have a priest onboard for every cruise.

Which Navigator sailing will you be on?