The Coffee Line Just Got Alot Longer!

MTJSR

As to people being dissatisified with their morning coffeed -- as

far as I can recall, syrup coffee started with grand princess, which

entered service in 1998. There have been thousands and thousands

of complaints about it here. Grand Princess still has syrup coffee.

When upgrading the buffets Princess should have replaced those coffee from concentrate machines with the filtered coffee machines that are on the Royal & Regal. Taste is very subjective however my tastebuds enjoyed that filtered coffee much more than coffee from concentrate on other Princess ships. I still prefer the brewed coffee at the IC and enjoy the taste of coffee without anything added to it.

The Navigator OTS had free Seattles Best brewed coffee machines in their version of the IC. While that was an improvement, the food selection & taste were worse & I've had better frozen pizza than their version of pizza.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I feel for a ship with 3000 passengers onboard plus I think over 1000 employees the Coffee and its attached International Cafe are too small.Looking at the advertised pictures on Princess site and elsewhere it looks big.I have not been on Royal and Regal so don't know the size of them on those ships.Naturally those of us that like morning coffee after breakfast and a chat with folks, crowd down there.Then again at lunch time some folks prefer the International Cafe selection it can crowd up again.?

I feel for a ship with 3000 passengers onboard plus I think over 1000 employees the Coffee and its attached International Cafe are too small.Looking at the advertised pictures on Princess site and elsewhere it looks big.I have not been on Royal and Regal so don't know the size of them on those ships.Naturally those of us that like morning coffee after breakfast and a chat with folks, crowd down there.Then again at lunch time some folks prefer the International Cafe selection it can crowd up again.?

This is true. The trick is getting a place to sit. It helps to go when something exciting is happening in the piazza and everyone is standing up to see. ;)

My goodness, all this angst over waiting in line for a premium coffee drink? Has anyone actually stood in line more than 10 minutes? Is there no patience in our society anymore.

If you take a cruise with over 2600 to 3600 passengers, you should expect to do some waiting on lines somewhere on the ship at one time or another.

We generally sit at a table give our order for our drinks to a waitress and then go and get a sandwich or cookies or pastries.

I never understood why people would pay extra to drink "specialty" coffee. I know, different strokes for different folks. The Lido coffee is just fine and we bring our own powdered Cappuccino to put in it.

I never understood how people could drink powdered Cappuccino :eek:

Right out in open view - at least on the original Grand sisters - is a espresso machine at Crooners/Promenade Bar on Deck 7. It's right there big as life. The bartenders there use it too! And there's never a line.

If you take a cruise with over 2600 to 3600 passengers, you should expect to do some waiting on lines somewhere on the ship at one time or another.

One of the reasons bigger is not better.

Edited by bdjam

Right out in open view - at least on the original Grand sisters - is a espresso machine at Crooners/Promenade Bar on Deck 7. It's right there big as life. The bartenders there use it too! And there's never a line.

The Horizon Court's pastry shop on the Royal & Regal make specialty coffee drinks (hot only?) but not brewed coffee.

Edited by Astro Flyer

...Right out in open view - at least on the original Grand sisters - is a espresso machine at Crooners/Promenade Bar on Deck 7. It's right there big as life. The bartenders there use it too! And there's never a line.

How have I missed this? The question is, how early do they open for coffee? I could get an Americano there to take to breakfast in the HC if the IC has a line. Of course if the HC served brewed coffee on the Grand-class, the lines would be shorter in the IC, I imagine :rolleyes:.

I guess it's probably something like this http://www.cappuccinosupreme.com/cappuccino/

Have a look at the list of ingredients for one! :eek:

It is but some people insist on an instant alternative because they don't want to pay for the real thing :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link-In looking at it they are really talking about flavored lattes, as in pumpkin spice, etc.

My wife and I will be in and around Sydney many times in March 2016-Shall we meet for coffee or any other Starbucks drinks:)-I know exactly where most of the stores are in that area-Love to meet you.

How have I missed this? The question is, how early do they open for coffee? I could get an Americano there to take to breakfast in the HC if the IC has a line. Of course if the HC served brewed coffee on the Grand-class, the lines would be shorter in the IC, I imagine :rolleyes:.

On the Grands with covered pools, the bar in that area (Calypso, right? Or is it Neptune? Can never remember which is which . . .) also had an espresso machine and, at least on my cruise, was open early. Probably earlier than Crooner's. Can't say for sure that this is still the case, but it's another possibility.

On the Grands with covered pools, the bar in that area (Calypso, right? Or is it Neptune? Can never remember which is which . . .) also had an espresso machine and, at least on my cruise, was open early. Probably earlier than Crooner's. Can't say for sure that this is still the case, but it's another possibility.

Good to know! I tend to go to pool areas later in the day, if at all, so have never looked for coffee there.

Silly? It is sensible to provide good service to the people who are

willing to pay for it. This is an opportunity.

Yes, silly! Inefficiency at a higher price does not solve the problem of shortening the queue length.

You're talking about raising prices to deter people from buying speciality coffees and therefore making the queues shorter.

I'm talking about training their baristas to a high level to ensure maximum throughput which will make the queues shorter, and will keep people happier. The IC on Sun Princess was very disorganised and coffee production was extremely slow.

Even worse down our part of the world as most Australians are used to espresso-style coffees.

I'm talking about training their baristas to a high level to ensure maximum throughput which will make the queues shorter, and will keep people happier. The IC on Sun Princess was very disorganised and coffee production was extremely slow.

As this is obviously something that is very important to you,

and Princess has failed you...

Your choice seems obvious.

As this is obviously something that is very important to you,

and Princess has failed you...

Your choice seems obvious.

Problem is, there isn't a choice. :(

Hopefully and eventually Australian based Princess ships will cater for the prevailing Australian coffee culture. Princess gets it so right in so many other ways, including good tea at breakfast, but they just haven't quite got there with coffee.:(

Just for fun....what I find interesting is Hospitals, Airlines, Jails and bad restaurants serve real brewed coffee. So how can Princess in good conscience, serve that vile bitter brown water?

Edited by MTJSR

They (Calypso Bar) usually open at 6am. It's my stop after walking early in the morning.

Just for fun....what I find interesting is Hospitals, Airlines, Jails and bad restaurants serve real brewed coffee. So how can Princess in good conscience, serve that vile bitter brown water?

Don't assume that all that "brewed coffee" is really brewed. Many of those places serve coffee made from a syrup, but are using a higher grade syrup than Princess may be using.

Don't assume that all that "brewed coffee" is really brewed. Many of those places serve coffee made from a syrup, but are using a higher grade syrup than Princess may be using.

Its funny that you should mention that because a few years ago I would purchase my lattes from Tim Horton's in Canada cheaper than anywhere else.Then one day I saw an employee putting a large can of white powder into the a machine so I quested her ,she replied 'Oh that is for the lattes':eek:. I write to Tim Horton's to ask was it powdered milk.They have never to this day given me a direct answer so now I go elsewhere were I see them using milk.

Crooner's seemed to be open in the morning - one of those places where the Bloody Mary clan hangs out - but then again, morning for me on a cruise is after 10:00...

What bothered me about the whole situation the last time I was on the Golden was the inconsistency.

When I first boarded I got the coffee directly from the baristas like I have always done. Then when I returned for a 3rd cup, I waited behind several people standing in line who were getting their coffee. When they were all gone, I tried to give my order, and was told I had to go stand in another line. He pointed at a sign by a line that was by the art gallery. Okay, so I stood in that line to place my order. Total wait was about 20 minutes, which was made longer because I didn't know about the new, "more efficient" system. (I have a hard time standing due to circulation in one of my legs.)

Once I thought I knew the new system, I stood in long lines several times while others got sandwiches, pastries, etc. Then some days I would go down and stand in line, and when I got ready to order, they told me to go directly to the coffee bar! Yikes! I was so frustrated!

I had nothing negative to say about the rest of the cruise, but the IC was frustrating!

I love my coffee and always get a coffee card. I've added a suggestion on every Princess survey that they need a few more coffee stations. Yes, the bar by the pool does have coffee, but more people don't know it and it's not advertised. An additional one or two coffee spots should be added, maybe a corner coffee spot at another bar or a spot near the Horizon. The line for coffee at the IC can be long and and only a great barista can handle these lines.

I love my coffee and always get a coffee card. I've added a suggestion on every Princess survey that they need a few more coffee stations. Yes, the bar by the pool does have coffee, but more people don't know it and it's not advertised. An additional one or two coffee spots should be added, maybe a corner coffee spot at another bar or a spot near the Horizon. The line for coffee at the IC can be long and and only a great barista can handle these lines.

On Royal-class ships in addition to the IC for specialty coffee drinks they were available at the Princess Live bar (hot & cold) & at the HC's pastry shop (hot only).

On the Regal in April the IC had an insulated container they used to pour brewed coffee into. That expedited the process but I never noticed any decrease in the quality of the brewed coffee...only faster service. :)

There was a single line to order coffee drinks...a quick cup of brewed or to order a specialty coffee drink & picked up at the adjacent counter. The lines I experienced were never excessive & worked well when I was there.

Edited by Astro Flyer