The Coffee Line Just Got Alot Longer!

MTJSR

This doesn't make sense. From the OP's post, it sounded like there's just one line no matter what you're getting so that anyone wanting to get a salad, for instance, would have to wait in line with all the people wanting coffee. This doesn't make a lick of sense.

That is exactly the way it was on the Crown this past April. Also the lady taking the orders was very rude, my DH had told me. (Which is unusual) Another lady told me the same thing. They seemed under staffed, maybe that is why the lady taking the orders seemed like she did not want to be there.

Don't worry I reported it on my survey when we got home from the cruise.

That is exactly the way it was on the Crown this past April. Also the lady taking the orders was very rude, my DH had told me. (Which is unusual) Another lady told me the same thing. They seemed under staffed, maybe that is why the lady taking the orders seemed like she did not want to be there.

Don't worry I reported it on my survey when we got home from the cruise.

Perhaps the person taking the orders had already dealt with a bunch of unhappy and snotty passengers who were taking it out on her when it wasn't her fault that things were being done that way. It can be very hard to maintain a good customer service attitude under those conditions.

Perhaps the person taking the orders had already dealt with a bunch of unhappy and snotty passengers who were taking it out on her when it wasn't her fault that things were being done that way. It can be very hard to maintain a good customer service attitude under those conditions.

Then again maybe not.

I agree! Why is everyone in such a huge rush on a cruise? Didn't we all leave that stuff behind for however many days we are onboard?

I've never waited more than a handful of minutes at the IC, but to your point, where are you going in such a hurry?

Was on Golden back in May to Alaska. Barista Noel said they now must punch into the register/computer to keep track of the time, volume, charges and non-charges(Coffee Cards). He states it's going fleet wide. My best guess it they are checking for crew staffing for their busiest times and how much java products they move. Who knows?

I never understood why people would pay extra to drink "specialty" coffee. I know, different strokes for different folks. The Lido coffee is just fine and we bring our own powdered Cappuccino to put in it.

Brewed coffee made from syrup with powdered cappuccino? :eek: Sounds like an additive nightmare to me. That's why I pay extra for pure, freshly pulled, espresso with freshly steamed milk. Although aboard ship the milk is usually UHT and has an unpalatable backtaste to my palate, so I usually just stick to espresso.

If the line is too long, it is time for princess to raise prices!

:eek: Not everyone enjoys the muck served as brewed coffee onboard. In fact many Australians don't like brewed coffee full stop. Why should we be forced to pay more for decent coffee.

If the line is too long then either Princess needs another coffee machine and more baristas, or needs to train their baristas better.

No, they order their coffee and then move down the line to get their pastries.

Seriously, the system is smarter because the baristas are only making coffee, not taking orders. Often in the morning, there was a server taking coffee orders, one or two dishing pastries and two or three baristas making coffee. I never waiting longer than a minute or two to order and two minutes for my coffee to be ready.

Yes, that would work. That's how a lot of cafes work here in Australia. One person taking orders and passing the coffee orders onto the barista(s). Phew!

The IC on Sun was a bit disorganised on the coffee side, and very slow on the food side mostly because the server didn't know how to multitask. He'd take your order and if one item had to be heated or toasted he'd wait until that was ready before taking the next person's order, instead of taking the next order and starting to fill it while the previous item was cooking.

We were on the Golden in May and noticed this change. Our thought was that 1. it was more efficient (and possibly more sanitary) for one person to do the ringing-up and ticket-making (and for the baristas to therefore focus just on coffee prep), and 2. there would likely not be as many folks being allowed to get coffee for free because the barista knew them to be regulars/big tippers (as in, even if they had a card, it wouldn't get punched sometimes - wink wink).

It WAS confusing to people, both to those who wanted coffee (stand in line as far from the coffee as possible, to order it?) and to those in the separate line for the IC snacks, but in time folks will catch on. There were signs explaining what to do, but "change is hard." And yes, to avoid all that, (try to) find a seat in the atrium and let one of the waitstaff take your order!

OK, You got me-What is powdered cappuccino? I always thought that a cappuccino is espresso shots topped with foamy steamed milk?

By the way, I work for Starbucks (don't drink coffee) and the system that it sounds like the IC is trying to use is similar to the one we have in place. Ideally, one person takes the coffee and/or food order. Food order is passed off to the expeditor while drink order is passed on to the Barista. Yes there does seem to be some demand for a line for plain coffee but from my experience, when this rotation is done correctly, it is certainly more efficient. Of course how many people go to Starbucks for plain coffee-It is high priced:p But my grandchildren will enjoy it if SBUX stock continues to keep pace with CCL.:D

This doesn't make sense. From the OP's post, it sounded like there's just one line no matter what you're getting so that anyone wanting to get a salad, for instance, would have to wait in line with all the people wanting coffee. This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Yes Pam, that's what they are doing now and it sounds like other ships have made the change as well.

I was uncomfortable watching the coffee counter crew redirecting people to the end of the line now into the art gallery. Imagine the New-B's trying to decide which items to choose from the IC while all you want is a coffee refill?

The number of people getting a runner to shag their coffee is going to go up significantly.

OK, You got me-What is powdered cappuccino? I always thought that a cappuccino is espresso shots topped with foamy steamed milk?

I guess it's probably something like this http://www.cappuccinosupreme.com/cappuccino/

Have a look at the list of ingredients for one! :eek:

I always thought that a cappuccino is espresso shots topped with foamy steamed milk?

It is but some people insist on an instant alternative because they don't want to pay for the real thing :rolleyes:

If there is a single open coffee order at the beginning of the line.

It takes longer to make speciality coffee than to serve food.

If there is already (at least) one open order slip sitting on the counter,

it doesn't matter if the attendent writes your order first, and puts it

on the counter (in line), or serves food to another patron first, and

then puts you coffee order in line.

My observation is that there is almost always a coffee order queue

at busy times -- so if there were someone who's sole job it was to

write the coffee order you wouldn't get your coffee any faster.

Because Princess is a business?

Well, yes, but raising prices to deter queues of people wanting decent coffee is silly, especially if the queues are caused by inefficient baristas. All that will do is to make people dissatisfied with Princess.

Raise prices on alcohol and you get away with it. People will either shrug it off or drink less. :rolleyes:

Raise prices on that early morning cup of decent coffee and people will become very unhappy, and an unhappy customer will then start finding faults with other aspects of their cruise. :eek:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I was on The Emerald last October and November .One could sit at the counter or at the tables and chairs in the International Cafe with ones coffee card and the waiters would come and take your order.Have they gotten rid of the tables and chair and the sit around the counter?

Edited by kruisey

I was on The Emerald last October and November .One could sit at the counter or at the tables and chairs in the International Cafe with ones coffee card and the waiters would come and take your order.Have they gotten rid of the tables and chair and the sit around the counter?

Heather, that's what I do. I go to the bar area (whichever ship it is) and find a seat then order the coffee from a server. I've also done that from a seat at the bar itself. Maybe because I'm an old lady, they are nice to me about it, but I've seen other people, not old ladies, do the same. :) I don't take my coffee away usually since I like to sit and survey the scene.

Well, yes, but raising prices to deter queues of people wanting decent coffee is silly, especially if the queues are caused by inefficient baristas. All that will do is to make people dissatisfied with Princess.

Silly? It is sensible to provide good service to the people who are

willing to pay for it. This is an opportunity.

If this were carnival, we would call it 'Faster to the Fun' -- where

people pay extra for what everyone hopes for.

As to people being dissatisified with their morning coffeed -- as

far as I can recall, syrup coffee started with grand princess, which

entered service in 1998. There have been thousands and thousands

of complaints about it here. Grand Princess still has syrup coffee.