This is why I dont use AUS travel agents

I read about that on Flight Centre. Because they moved away from what they were good at and started to get their fingers in too many pies couple with the fact that the staff they employ are just booking bunnies and as one ta describe them as (once to me) booking bunnies but no love.

Two weeks ago I went up to Flight Centre in the CBD to price some flights, the guy was completely unhelpful. Basically he couldn't be bothered.

Not good news . Trust it does not effect any Cruiseabout customers. As well as Australia they are also in NZ, South Africa and Canada .

Lets hope its their own profit thats dropped and that any monies paid to them have been passed on to the cruise companies so that it does effect any customers.

Not good news . Trust it does not effect any Cruiseabout customers. As well as Australia they are also in NZ, South Africa and Canada .

Lets hope its their own profit thats dropped and that any monies paid to them have been passed on to the cruise companies so that it does effect any customers.

Wondering why it would affect cruiseabout customers? Are they a branch of Flight Centre?

It is a profit call not a sign of insolvency though, still many millions flying around!

I use a particular TA because I can pay for my cruises using my business credit card points. Free cruises, who wouldn't want that??

That is way too progressive for most TA's. I book my flights with points.

It's probably too progressive for a lot of people. I convert bank's credit card points to frequent flyer points. Then use the frequent flyer points to purchase cruise TA gift certificates which I pay off my cruise with.

I book flights guys with points too.... I earn a lot of points.... 😀

It's probably too progressive for a lot of people. I convert bank's credit card points to frequent flyer points. Then use the frequent flyer points to purchase cruise TA gift certificates which I pay off my cruise with.

I book flights guys with points too.... I earn a lot of points.... [emoji3]

I based our trip to Europe on points in the pointy end.

I don't like the idea of some of the online TAs wanting the final payment so far out. I can understand a couple of weeks, but months before? The $10 deposit sounds good, but...

I booked with an online TA for an upcoming cruise, $10 deposit. They wanted full payment in March for a November cruise. When the date came, they said I could pay the normal deposit (in this case RCCL $400) and pay the balance at the normal full payment date (September)

I would normally booked direct, but as Mum and Dad are coming the cheaper deposit was good for them:)

Check the cancellation fees though. Most charge an admin fee around $100

Chez

I booked with an online TA for an upcoming cruise, $10 deposit. They wanted full payment in March for a November cruise. When the date came, they said I could pay the normal deposit (in this case RCCL $400) and pay the balance at the normal full payment date (September)

I would normally booked direct, but as Mum and Dad are coming the cheaper deposit was good for them:)

Check the cancellation fees though. Most charge an admin fee around $100

Chez

The TA I started the thread about charges $300 per person and this was additional to any cruise line charges which is so far out I knew they would be zero.

I think it really depends on the TA and if you shop around sometimes it is better direct, other times through a TA and sometimes even both direct and then move it to the TA.

most importantly, SHOP AROUND.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

That is way too progressive for most TA's. I book my flights with points.

I book flights with cash, usually pointy end but not way up the front like some people I know :o

I book flights guys with points too.... I earn a lot of points.... 😀

Sadly I do not earn a lot of points :(

The TA I started the thread about charges $300 per person and this was additional to any cruise line charges which is so far out I knew they would be zero.

$300 p/p is way too much isn't it?

I prefer to book direct as well, have control of the booking.

I did a two year course years ago, Retail/Wholesale travel, I agree that a lot of the consultants have no training other than computer skills, but there are still those great agents who actually travel and have great knowledge, it's just finding them!

Chez

I book flights with cash, usually pointy end but not way up the front like some people I know :o

Sadly I do not earn a lot of points :(

You really need to check out buying American airlines points! Theres a forum for that. ;)

I convert bank's credit card points to frequent flyer points. Then use the frequent flyer points to purchase cruise TA gift certificates which I pay off my cruise with.

With some TA's & some banks you don't even have to do that. The points will give you $x of credit with the TA (specific ones), maybe 20% more than just cashing the points out with the bank. The TA can just collect the value and it goes straight onto (or off I guess) your account. I recently paid a substantial part of my balance that way - it was like getting part of the cruise for free :D

We have a pet agent that will match or slightly better anything I can find when I do my research. Two cruises in a row we managed huge free upgrades on guarantee cabins booked through her, can't be unhappy about that!

Wondering why it would affect cruiseabout customers? Are they a branch of Flight Centre?

It is a profit call not a sign of insolvency though, still many millions flying around!

Agreed, I remember a couple of years back some doomsayers saying Qantas was going out of business because they'd made some losses too.

Doesn't seem like they're out of business yet...

Recently booked a sailing from Brisbane online with a USA TA. Saved approximately $800AU compared to booking direct with cruiseline, and was able to view the booking and cabin number on the cruiseline website within an hour of paying the deposit. This amount of saving is nothing to be sneezed at and I have found the TA easy to communicate with even at a distance.

That is an amazing saving newbie1955. How did you find the TA. Googling or recommendation. (I know we can't say who they are on this site).

I used a land based TA for my first cruise. However I wasn't happy with the service and felt she was really driven by her bonuses not really what was best for us. So now I'm looking at my alternatives for my next. I really appreciate all the info and advice on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ladybird1292

Lots of time on the internet trying to find the best price and then Googled the company to check them out. Spoke to the TA direct once I received my quote (51 international minutes free per month came in handy) to ask her some questions that she answered to my satisfaction so I decided to proceed with the booking. Such a big saving is hard to resist.

You really need to check out buying American airlines points! Theres a forum for that. ;)

I know but never get round to it - I was going to buy when they had the big bonus point promotion but as we needed to book for Africa, that won out at the time. I did check what availability was like and of course no award flights were available for the times we wanted.

Recently booked a sailing from Brisbane online with a USA TA. Saved approximately $800AU compared to booking direct with cruiseline, and was able to view the booking and cabin number on the cruiseline website within an hour of paying the deposit. This amount of saving is nothing to be sneezed at and I have found the TA easy to communicate with even at a distance.

Thats the sort of deals our TA's should be getting off their buts and finding for us.