Typical crew quarters

BecciBoo

Interesting. I doubt it's typical for many of the crew members. I think shared accommodation is common for most.

I agree. From what I understand, MOST crew members share cabins with bunks.

Personally, I would prefer a tiny cabin alone over a shared larger cabin.

Considering that the crew also has other areas for recreation, and they don't have to spend all of their off-time in their room, it doesn't seem too bad at all.

That WAS shared at least 2 bedrooms with shared toity/shower between.

I don't think YOU understand. I believe that MOST crew quarters are rooms with 2 or 4 BUNKS - as in bunk beds - 2 or 4 people in ONE shared room.

Having a shared bathroom is an annoyance, but at least they have their own BEDROOM.

That's probably one of the nicer ones...a single cabin. Most likely for one of the singers/dancers rather than the engineering or cleaning crew. My understanding is that those levels have 2-4 people per cabin.

From what I have been told and seen you are either in a room not much bigger than the bed or slightly bigger with bunk beds, I have been told that some of the ships even have communal bathrooms.

I don't know. There was a pair of heavy work gloves in one drawer. I figured he was a deck hand or engineering. He may have been one of the higher up "enlisted" types as opposed to one of the ships officers.

That's probably one of the nicer ones...a single cabin. Most likely for one of the singers/dancers rather than the engineering or cleaning crew. My understanding is that those levels have 2-4 people per cabin.

The ships I cruised on in the early 70's all had communal bathrooms, and 20 to 30 bunks per space. Of course the cruise line I was on was owned by the citizens of the US. I was on the USS Albany CG 10.:D

From what I have been told and seen you are either in a room not much bigger than the bed or slightly bigger with bunk beds, I have been told that some of the ships even have communal bathrooms.

I cannot imagine myself in a space that small :eek: sharing that tiny bathroom. It might be a bit easier for most guys but there is very little space for personal clothing. I guess you have to be very selective about what you take with you. It certainly makes me as a passenger realize how spoilt the crew members must think us.

I've visited the crew quarters on Connie, Solstice and Reflection when my daughter was one of the activities team.

Connie had bunk beds, no port hole and you could almost touch the opposite walls with outstretched arms. The Solstice cabins were a tiny bit bigger and brighter. She even had a port hole on one 6 month contract (a real luxury!).

As for the time she spent in them. It was actually quite a lot. Mainly sleeping but also to get away from work colleagues as you are for ever bumping into people and not necessarily ones you want to see.

With the cut backs to Activity team numbers she left Celebrity and is now a cabin stewardess for Etihad Airways. I asked her if flying all around the world was better than being aboard a ship for six month stints. The ship was by far better!

For anyone who may remember Valentina she was also the onboard qualified Zumba instructor.

I always wonder where they can accommodate 2000+ crew. Which decks are they on? Where are the officers cabins located as I imagine they would be more spacious.

Depends on the ship.......M class, most of the crew are down below.....

even though it is not showing on many deckplans there is a deck 1.

So deck 1, 2 and 3 have cabins that are for crewmembers.......

Officers? That depends on the officer......after going on several bridge

tours over the years I can tell you many officers have forward cabins....

those cabin decks vary......6...7.......etc..........but they are not showing

on the deck plans where the passenger cabins are located.

Edited by Lois R

I don't think YOU understand. I believe that MOST crew quarters are rooms with 2 or 4 BUNKS - as in bunk beds - 2 or 4 people in ONE shared room.

Having a shared bathroom is an annoyance, but at least they have their own BEDROOM.

Condescending comments are wasted posts:cool:

I had no problem understanding you

I was emphasizing that he at least shared a bathroom...duh:rolleyes:

Condescending comments are wasted posts:cool:

I had no problem understanding you

I was emphasizing that he at least shared a bathroom...duh:rolleyes:

It didn't seem that you did understand. My post was not meant to be condescending. It was meant to emphasize that the CABIN wasn't being shared - JUST the bathroom.

When I responded, I stated that the CABIN was not being shared, and from my understanding, sharing a ROOM/CABIN - with 2-4 bunks is normal. Then you responded stating that the BATHROOM was being shared. I never even mentioned the bathroom because I was strictly talking about the actual cabin/room.

Sharing a bathroom isn't the same as sharing a ROOM.

DUH. :rolleyes:

LOL

Don't know if this has been posted or if anyone has ever seen it, but this is typical crew quarters on Celebrity.

I was looking for our attendant(wanted to tip him)& wandered a bit. I wound up in the quaters area for some of the officers. Really nice suites these guys have. This was on the Eclipse.

I spent several months working as a stewardess aboard an Australian based cruise ship, back in the mid 70's. 6 or 8 girls packed into a tiny cabin with bunks beds. We were each allocated a "school locker" sized portion of a closet for hanging uniforms, ONE drawer in a chest of drawers, and an overhead storage spot for our single suitcase. The bathroom/showers were down the hall, and shared by all the other cabins.

This crew cabin, by comparison, is positively palacial!