Corkscrew through security?

lulutoo

We have always requested and gotten wine glassses and a corkscrew in our cabin till our most recent cruise on Equinox. After asking her for 2 days, our attendant insisted there were no corkscrews available and when we insisted she try harder she returned with one that was bent out of shape bit that she claimed was all she could find- we managed to use it with some difficulty.

So , we would like to bring our own on the Connie, but wonder if it will be removed in the hand luggage screening as we had one taken once at the Airport by TSA... can we bring one or will it be confiscated and we have to take our chances on board?

Are the rules on the ships the same as the airport as far as sharp pointed items?

I think we just had an inept ( but sweet) attendant last time as I find it hard to believe you can't get a corkscrew for the wine you are allowed to bring on at embarkation.

Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT, put a corkscrew in your carry-on luggage! Two years ago, my favorite Pedrini corkscrew was confiscated by the "rocket-scientists" working port security at Ft. Lauderdale. Since the corkscrew had a 1/2 " foil cutter on it, they categorized it as (I couldn't make this stuff up): a folding knife! :eek: Fortunately, once onboard, I was able to have it returned to me by the head of ship's security -- who was rather amused by its classification as a knife. :rolleyes:

In January our corkscrew was confiscated before boarding the Eclipse, we had bought it in Miami, they took it when our carry on went thru the X-ray before boarding, my husband said to them "there are steak knives in the ship" this makes no sense, they took it. Lesson learned always put it in checked luggage.

Own up. It was me who held you all up in Venice the other week.

Corkscrew in my carry on luggage.

Might have helped if I had understood what they were looking for. I strongly denied that I had a bottle!

Everything out on the desk.

I had bought it as the one in the flat had broken and somehow put it in my bag.

So what does it change if it is in my bag or suitcase? In my suitcase means in my cabin. Can still attack and take over the ship:cool:

Oh. Sorry for holding you all up on disembarkation too.

Sounds like you already know not to pack a cork screw in airline carry on bag, but you can carry them aboard a Celebrity ship. Just leave your corkscrew in your checked bag, you will have no problems. Here is the list of Celebrity prohibited items.

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Electrical Extension Cords, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

Cork screw must go in hand carry. We have started bringing wine with a screw top bottle so we don`t have to worry about opening or spilling in fridge. Here in California there are now some very nice wines that have gone to screw top. They are running out of cork so the snob factor of screw top might some day be gone.

We take one we can afford to lose, got it on Royal C as a giveaway,,, gets packed in checked luggage in same small pouch with scissors, nail clipper, razor....or in rollie carry on if we are not flying or checking in luggage on the ship...

..your stateroom attendant was lazy or unresourceful!

They probably sell souvenier ones in liquor shop or novelty shop on bd...

We either take along a wine opener and/or a champagne opener. Depends on what we think we're getting in the room.

We have been stopped by port security a few times about them mistaking the champagne opener w/ pliers.

We carry both in our carry-on. As for the wine opener, no sharp blades except for the end of the cork screw. I usually use the tip of the cork screw to cut through the foil.

I wonder if airport security saw your cork screw and confiscated it because they wanted such a nice one for themselves. Our rule is don't take anything you'd feel will set you back too much to replace.

Edited by knittinggirl

We either take along a wine opener and/or a champagne opener. Depends on what we think we're getting in the room.

We have been stopped by port security a few times about them mistaking the champagne opener w/ pliers.

We carry both in our carry-on. As for the wine opener, no sharp blades except for the end of the cork screw. I usually use the tip of the cork screw to cut through the foil.

I wonder if airport security saw your cork screw and confiscated it because they wanted such a nice one for themselves. Our rule is don't take anything you'd feel will set you back too much to replace.

I always take a 2 prong cork puller similar to:

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-A2B-Cork-Puller/dp/B000HMDOBI/ref=sr_1_3/184-4309746-5430624?ie=UTF8&qid=1435419621&sr=8-3&keywords=2+prong+cork+puller

Never a problem...they don't even know what it is so it's not on their list :)

Coincidentally, it actually is a very good bar device, exceptionally handy if you break the cork or the cork breaks apart.

Edited by ghstudio

Thanks all- I guess we will stick it in our checked bag next time- I just wondered if they x rayed those as well and would pull it out before delivering the bag to our stateroom-. We did look for a corkscrew in the gift shop and wine stores on board- I believe they had a fancy one they priced at $20- and the corkscrew that was confiscated from us was actually confiscated at Amsterdam Airport - and it was a cheap plastic one that we brought specifically because it did not have a foil cutter or any sharp part except the actual screw.. the security person would not be swayed and took it away- it had gone everywhere with us for years and never been questioned. I do think our attendant was just not resourceful - but wondered if they truly had none or had a run on them ( they were out of playing cards for three days as well and a Guest Relations person finally brought us some)- maybe we were more of a" wine drinkin, card playin " group than they counted on...We had just brought one bottle of our favorite stuff on board- and we were hesitant to go out to a bar on board and ask them to open it for us though that wold have been our next move, tip in hand. .. never had a problem with getting a wine glass/corkscrew set up before this... we'll see how things go on Connie-I'll pack a cheap one in the checked baggage and ask for one too just to see if we can get a nicer one. I wondered too if people take them with them when they leave- we never would , but maybe that iis why they didn't want us to have one..

So , we would like to bring our own on the Connie, but wonder if it will be removed in the hand luggage screening as we had one taken once at the Airport by TSA... can we bring one or will it be confiscated and we have to take our chances on board?

Pack it in your checked bags.