still confused

sofiegsd

We have always dressed for formal nights and have followed Hal's request to remain dressed in formal attire for the entire evening. However, on recent cruises we have noticed that people who eat in the lido and do not dress up still go to the show, various bars and other activities. We have also noticed that some people now race back to their cabins and change out of formal wear before attending the show. What do you think? Does formal attire only apply to the dining room? Has

anyone else noticed the lack of compliance and the shift in attitudes?

We have always dressed for formal nights and have followed Hal's request to remain dressed in formal attire for the entire evening. However, on recent cruises we have noticed that people who eat in the lido and do not dress up still go to the show, various bars and other activities. We have also noticed that some people now race back to their cabins and change out of formal wear before attending the show. What do you think? Does formal attire only apply to the dining room? Has

While HAL would like you stay dressed up all evening, they really do not have a way to enforce it (as you already figured out). I think it is a nice thought, but thats about all it is.

In general, our culture is becoming more and more relaxed about dress codes (just look around you at church for example) and the cruise lines are just following what most people want.

While I do not like it, its the way it is and the way of the future, so learn to adapt I guess.

Yes, we've noticed. I think it's just more of the "it's my vacation and I'll do as I want" attitude. But it's still in the General Information on the HAL website "In order to complement your

fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the

suggested dress code throughout the entire evening."

Personally, I like the "old-time" feel of dressing for the evening onboard the ship.

Yes, we've noticed. I think it's just more of the "it's my vacation and I'll do as I want" attitude. But it's still in the General Information on the HAL website "In order to complement your

fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the

suggested dress code throughout the entire evening."

Personally, I like the "old-time" feel of dressing for the evening onboard the ship.

There are a plethora of "reasons" on these boards as to why people don't dress as requested by the dress code suggestions. No room in luggage, don't want to pay extra for luggage, I wear a tie to work and won't wear one on vacation or I wore one for thirty years and now, ten years later, I won't wear one for a few hours, etc. etc. etc. but it all seems like laziness to me. Flame away.

HAL has definitely relaxed its dress code, including changing "Formal Night" to "Gala Evening". Here's a quote from CBR663's post on another Thread:

BTW: HAL no longer refers to Formal Nights, but uses the term Gala Nights. From HAL's website:

"Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown."

Apparently dress-up clothes are only required when attending "special events" (such as dinning) on board but not otherwise ...

It is sad the way the world is changing concerning how they dress. Sadly we are now living in a world where many people -- just my opinion -- are becoming slobs.

And it is true that the cruise lines can't enforce the dress codes.

What others above have said is all so true -- so many excuses to get out dressing nicely for even a short period of time.

We were on a 21 day cruise a couple of years (one we have done several times) and DH for the first time felt out of place wearing a tuxedo. There were only a handful of men wearing them. When we got home he retired his tuxedo to the back of the closet and bought a couple of suits and jackets and some new dress shirts and ties. I used to wear floor skirts with different fancy tops. But now that I use a walker/rollator, I wear 3/4 length skirts with the fancy tops.

I just finished my first cruise on a HAL ship and I noticed some ladies dressing up in gowns on non-gala nights in addition to the gala nights. I prefer the smart casual nights personally, but if a person desires to dress more formally, they need not only dress up on the gala nights.

HAL's 'GALA' evenings fall well short of our idea of a Gala evening.

The food is banquet style tarted up a little, the service is moderate-good at best. Not so good if you want wine.

From our perspective HAL, and some other cruise lines, are victims of their own cutbacks. If the dinner/service is not special, having customers dress in formal wear does not make it 'GALA'.

More and more people it seems, based on what we see in alternate dining venues, are arriving at this same conclusion and dressing in casual attire for the evening. We certainly do. The 'pretend' is slipping away at the same rate as the cutbacks.

Edited by iancal

There are a plethora of "reasons" on these boards as to why people don't dress as requested by the dress code suggestions ... but it all seems like laziness to me. Flame away.

It is sad the way the world is changing concerning how they dress. Sadly we are now living in a world where many people -- just my opinion -- are becoming slobs ... so many excuses to get out dressing nicely for even a short period of time.

Spot on - IMO you both hit the nail squarely on the head!!! Nice to see that I'm not alone in my opinion on this subject - may I join your club?

We wear tuxes to Dinner, but then change to a more casual slacks and jacket (no tie) for the shows.

I have no issue with folks who don't want to dress up, but really, they shouldn't go to a show in shorts on Formal nights.

HAL has definitely relaxed its dress code, including changing "Formal Night" to "Gala Evening". Here's a quote from CBR663's post on another Thread:

BTW: HAL no longer refers to Formal Nights, but uses the term Gala Nights. From HAL's website:

"Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown."

Apparently dress-up clothes are only required when attending "special events" (such as dinning) on board but not otherwise ...

I think CBR663 is just trying to make you look gullible. It's still called formal. On page 8 of Know Before You Go, it says:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. "

Head to this page on the Holland America site:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=General+Information

Scroll down a bit until you see the" Know Before You Go" link.

Download the file.

Open the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader or the PDF reader of your choice.

Navigate to page 8.

Read the part where it talks about Formal.

Now scroll up and down the file looking for "Gala Evening."

When you don't find it, apologize.

We forgive you. ;)

Just because it's on CruiseCritic, don't necessarily make it so. :D

I think CBR663 is just trying to make you look gullible. It's still called formal. On page 8 of Know Before You Go, it says:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. "

Head to this page on the Holland America site:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=General+Information

Scroll down a bit until you see the" Know Before You Go" link.

Download the file.

Open the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader or the PDF reader of your choice.

Navigate to page 8.

Read the part where it talks about Formal.

We forgive you. ;)

I can tell you've had your wheaties - or something - this morning! You've been in fine form with your posts.:D

Are you suggesting that they be barred from the public areas of the ship and banished to their cabins once they've finished dining in the Lido? In any event, it was never a compliance issue, as wearing formal attire in the locations was never a requirement, only a suggestion. Moreover, HAL no longer even makes such a suggestion.

For better or worse, HAL is changing with the times:

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown. On Grand Voyages, many gentlemen choose formal attire.

The bolding is mine, but HAL is sending a pretty clear message that there is no expectation for gentlemen to wear formal wear on other than Grand Voyages. Even then, they simply point out that some do choose formal wear, but make no attempt to make it a requirement.

Yes, there's a definite change in attitude, both on the part of passengers and HAL.

I think CBR663 is just trying to make you look gullible ...

We forgive you. ;)

... since cbr663's "information" was posted on another CC Thread, I seriously doubt that he/she was trying to "make [me] look guillible.". :confused: In any event, I fail to see any reason that I should apologize to you ... and I will happily forego your forgiveness ... :(

Your comment "because it's on CruiseCritic, do[es]n't necessarily make it so" demonstrates (again) your keen insight into the obvious ... :) ...

Edited by Ky Colonel
... corrected a minor misspelling ...

Hey Sof,

> What do you think?

If you like to dress up, do so.

>Does formal attire only apply to the dining room?

Not really. Dressing up for the MDR is going out of fashion.

>Has anyone else noticed the lack of compliance and the shift in attitudes?

No. You are the only one. :)

Ira

That's an old document that hasn't been updated to reflect the recent changes. If you look a few lines above the portion you have highlighted, it states "gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo" on Formal nights, which is no longer the case. While this PDF document is still accessible through the HAL website, it doesn't reflect the far more recent updates elsewhere.

Edited by Fouremco

HAL's 'GALA' evenings fall well short of our idea of a Gala evening.

The food is banquet style tarted up a little, the service is moderate-good at best. Not so good if you want wine.

From our perspective HAL, and some other cruise lines, are victims of their own cutbacks. If the dinner/service is not special, having customers dress in formal wear does not make it 'GALA'.

More and more people it seems, based on what we see in alternate dining venues, are arriving at this same conclusion and dressing in casual attire for the evening. We certainly do. The 'pretend' is slipping away at the same rate as the cutbacks.

Totally agree. Current dining service and shipboard atmosphere isn't what it was compared to 30 years ago.

Dan

That's an old document that hasn't been updated to reflect the recent changes. If you look a few lines above the portion you have highlighted, it states "gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo" on Formal nights. While this PDF document is still accessible through the HAL website, it doesn't reflect the far more recent updates elsewhere.

Do you have the newer version? Because that's the exact same thing that was attached to our upcoming cruise docs.

Just printed my express docs and this is the dress code section. Exactly as POA1 stated. We cruise in 1 week so this must be the most recent version.

"Clothing & Dress Code

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your

cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and

in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing

made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest

casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and

waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may

require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches

or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants.

Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may

wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear

shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the

interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work

out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include

comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled

shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual.

Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and

casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts,

swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or

public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings,

ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a

jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal

nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line

asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire

evening."

Laurie