Beds in stateroom...gotta know

mitsugirly

When you push both the beds together in the stateroom...what does it become? Queen or King?

Gotta bet going on with the daughter.

Also, in the balcony rooms on the BA or GA, when they have the couch in it, does it pull out into a queen/king or is it the size of a twin?

Thanks in advance for either making my day or making me lose a bet. :p :D

When you push both the beds together in the stateroom...what does it become? Queen or King?

Also, in the balcony rooms on the BA or GA, when they have the couch in it, does it pull out into a queen/king or is it the size of a twin?

IF I remember correctly since this was over a year ago....

I *think* two twin beds pushed together would be a queen and not a true king.

I don't know about the couch since both times we stayed in a HD and they had a chair that became a single bed.

*Okay, I just checked the Breakaway website and it says under Balcony:

Large Balcony

These staterooms have a large balcony offering incredible views, two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed and additional bedding to sleep one or two more.

Accommodates: 3-4

Not sure if the 3-4 means the couch would sleep 2 or if there is a Murphy bed somewhere.

After others post please do tell what your guess was! LOL

Harriet

Not sure if the 3-4 means the couch would sleep 2 or if there is a Murphy bed somewhere.

In balcony and minisuite cabins the optional fourth bed is a pulldown from the ceiling above the sofa.

In most of the suites the bed is the 'KING' with a couch that converts to a

bed for two small people (children) and maybe a murphy bed that pops out of

a wall for additional sleeping for one person comfortably but two a BIG ???

The King bed is set up that it can not be divided into two beds at least that

is what I was advised on the NCL DAWN. Some staterooms with a large

balcony will not have the murphy bed feature. Varies by ship and configuration.

Inside and Oceanview cabins have some of the most interesting bed contraptions

folding out of the ceiling with ladders to assist in getting in the upper berth.

With Balcony and Mini-suites it is pretty straight forward with a Queen bed

that can be divided into two with a little night stand dividing the two.

A couch near the balcony is converted into sleeping for two albeit small

adults or children. There maybe BA and MS with other sleeping features

similar to the Insides with folding out ceiling beds. A check of the deck

plans usually will have coded symbols indicating the number of beds that

are within a cabin.

There have been cases where a sleeping bag was utilized in open floor space

to create more comfortable sleeping for all in the cabin as long as the cabin

capacity was not exceeded.

Unless arrangements are made in advance the normal cabin setup will be

with the twins beds together forming a Queen. The cabin stewards are very

familiar with changing the arrangement to suit the occupants and pointing out

all the sleeping features for the evening turn down.

The couch in a GA balcony is a single for sleeping. It doesn't sleep two. For rooms that sleep four, a bed comes down from the ceiling.

Gotta bet going on with the daughter. ...

You are both correct since it depends on cabin.

Most cabins =queen. But suites and some cabins on some ships = king.

Two true twin beds are a king bed when pushed together. Most places on NCL, I see they call the beds queen, so apart, they must be narrower than a twin.

I really hope it's wrong as I looooove my king bed because my husband flails his arms all night.

On Carnival our bed was a king which ended up being a necessity because our then just turned 2 year old would have nothing to do with the crib they gave us so he had to sleep between us.

It looks like there are a few options for sleeping four on the Breakaway-class ships:

A family inside, which has the normal two beds, plus two more that come down from the ceiling:

11985379774_30c022d15d_b.jpg

A family oceanview, which has the normal two beds, plus the couch, plus a bed that comes down from the ceiling:

13297421754_3ee6d406b9_o.jpg

And a family balcony, which is the same configuration as the family oceanview, just with a balcony.

12130-2_zpsc914bc4c.jpg

These aren't my images, just gathered from other CC threads.

Just skimming over the answers (I'm getting ready to leave for work and will read them more in depth when I return)...

I think everyone is going into this a little more than the info I needed. LOL

I just need to know when you push the beds together...is it a king or queen sized bed. (Regular interior or balcony rooms...not suites or anything like that).

I don't need to know where the configurations are or the 4th bed is (pull down from wall/ceiling)...I have stayed in this room before just have a bet on the SIZE with my daughter.

Just need to know the size of the couch when made into a bed...twin for 1 or big enough for 2 like the queen.

I said the beds pushed together makes a queen in the rooms...daughter thinks king (probably because Carnivals are kings when pushed together).

Daughter thinks when you pull the couch out it becomes a bed just like the beds pushed together and 2 can sleep on it. I told her it didn't come out like that and it's a place for 1 person to sleep on and long ways.

So, I wasn't sure if we just didn't have our couch bed out all the way and I'm missing something, or if that's all it does. :)

I think it's because your question is actually a little hard to answer. Norwegian calls it a queen. I believe it is larger than a queen, but slightly smaller than a land-based king bed. My husband and I share a king bed at home, but we never feel cramped on the Norwegian beds, so they have to be closer to a king than a queen.

I think it's because your question is actually a little hard to answer. Norwegian calls it a queen. I believe it is larger than a queen, but slightly smaller than a land-based king bed. My husband and I share a king bed at home, but we never feel cramped on the Norwegian beds, so they have to be closer to a king than a queen.

I think you're right. We've had suites on NCL and the bet isn't as large as our king at home. We also have a queen bed in a place where we spend a good part of the summer which isn't as wide as those in the NCL suites. I have to say, those beds in the NCL suites are so comfortable, more so than the ones we have at home.

We had balcony room on the Breakaway. The sofa was turned into a single bed for our daughter. It definitely would only sleep one person. It remained a bed for the duration of the trip (i.e..was not converted back to a sofa in the morning).

Despite NCL wording,

All beds below suites are two regular sized twin beds which when pushed together are Regular Kings as opposed to California Kings which are longer.

Couch will become a twin in Balcony and below, a Double or Full in mini-suites and above.

Queen Beds are the norm for 1 and 2BR Penthouse suites in master. 2nd bedroom has a double and a twin pulldown.

Kings are norm for higher end suites. :)

After all, our dear friend Kevin created a video that proclaimed, "You always serve from the right." :eek:

Just skimming over the answers (I'm getting ready to leave for work and will read them more in depth when I return)...

I think everyone is going into this a little more than the info I needed. LOL

I just need to know when you push the beds together...is it a king or queen sized bed. (Regular interior or balcony rooms...not suites or anything like that).

QUEEN

I don't need to know where the configurations are or the 4th bed is (pull down from wall/ceiling)...I have stayed in this room before just have a bet on the SIZE with my daughter.

Just need to know the size of the couch when made into a bed...twin for 1 or big enough for 2 like the queen.

?

I said the beds pushed together makes a queen in the rooms...daughter thinks king (probably because Carnivals are kings when pushed together).

Daughter thinks when you pull the couch out it becomes a bed just like the beds pushed together and 2 can sleep on it. I told her it didn't come out like that and it's a place for 1 person to sleep on and long ways.

So, I wasn't sure if we just didn't have our couch bed out all the way and I'm missing something, or if that's all it does. :)

I'm only sure about the two beds pushed together being a queen.

Harriet

So which I more comfortable, the balcony sofa or the split bed? There are three in the cabin and for quasi privacy I'm thinking of taking the sofa and giving nephew and my mother the beds.

Good news is we can rotate arrangement during the week.

I agree with this. We sleep on a King at home and usually feel a little cramped on a queen. We do not feel cramped ever on the ship. We have only stayed in balcony or inside cabins.

So which I more comfortable, the balcony sofa or the split bed? There are three in the cabin and for quasi privacy I'm thinking of taking the sofa and giving nephew and my mother the beds.

Good news is we can rotate arrangement during the week.

I'd rather sleep on the floor than a sofa bed any day. Of course, you could also ask for an egg crate. ;)

My exDetective mate who re enacts catching the bad guys in his nightmares thinks I am the bad guy (in bed). I get "beaten up"in our Queen at home and sleep blissfully far away from him while in a King. Hence, all my cruises LOL :p

Two true twin beds are a king bed when pushed together. Most places on NCL, I see they call the beds queen, so apart, they must be narrower than a twin.

I really hope it's wrong as I looooove my king bed because my husband flails his arms all night.

On Carnival our bed was a king which ended up being a necessity because our then just turned 2 year old would have nothing to do with the crib they gave us so he had to sleep between us.

Looks like you are going to loose that bet & you may want request a few "extra" pillows to protect you from his....wait for it..... wait for it.....ARMaments...LOL!

PS - Why are people in this thread reporting the size of ANYTHING in the Suites? The OP CLEARLY stated what she is asking and it is NOT related to ANYTHING about Suites!

Edited by ndabunka

On our Breakaway cruise in an M6 mini-suite with large balcony, our bed was clearly a Queen. Our bed at home is a King and it was definitely smaller, both in length and width. Hubby is 6' 2" and his feet were off the end. Also, I highly recommend requesting an egg-crate topper. The bed was HARD!!

To answer OP's questions re inside/OV & regular balcony cabins, it's sort of in-between a Queen & a King sized bed ... twin bed/bunk bed in the USA are generally 39" wide but in UK & other places, 36" wide x 75" long.

Full size bed is generally considered to be 60" wide, Queen bed is 66" (2 x 33" so even narrower than the "UK-sized twin beds" put together. King size bed is 76" although California King bed is 72" wide (or 2 x 36" beds) - we sleep on one of those Ikea King bed and it is smaller, yet it still feel "bigger/wider" than the ones on NCL ship fleet's "Queen" bed.

Here's a tip for those sleeping in their own twin/single bed that's just 39" wide, move the bed frame/mattress 2" to 3" away from the wall and you will get that little extra elbow room.

Anyone sailing soon - take a pocket tape measure & get the results read and post back here. Perhaps, CC'ers have been sleeping on 36" wide single bed, combined together at 72" wide - so it's a California King (bigger than a Queen at 66" wide) but narrower than the full width of a King at 76" - ;)

As for the sofa bed in the *AWAY class ships, it's basically high density foam mattress - so extra padding will always help, including egg crate toppers underneath the top/fitted sheets. It's subjective, but I don't think they are any worst (or, better) for sleeping than those foam ones on the pullman/bunk beds or the regular beddings, for that matter - over time, they will get worn out ... an extra comforter on top or below the egg crate for sleeping is always nice, with a little help from the RS. Sweet dreams :D

Hi Mitsugirly,

Two twin's pushed together equal a King not a queen. There are Cal King's that are longer and not as wide as an eastern king that is wider and a little shorter but ultimately, when you purchase a king size bed there are two twin's box springs pushed together underneath the King. I hope that helps answer your question. :)

I agree with DRValo and Jeffregpuck. They say these are Queen beds (in balcony and mini-suite cabins), but they feel bigger. Not a true King, but a very generous "Queen" bed. A true Queen is cramped for me and my husband; these beds are not that tight.

The answer to both of your questions is a resounding neither.

The "twins" that push together are slightly smaller than regular twins, so you get something between a queen and a king.

The pull out sofa is more the size of a double than either a king/queen/twin.