Solstice To Golden Princess

VK3DQ

Hi Folks

We have just canceled our third cruise on Solstice in favor of Golden Princess

Some background we are located in Melbourne Australia and are a party of three Myself and My Wife Jean and her mother Elsie

Jean and I have made two cruises on Solstice (both 12 day trips to New Zealand) in the last two years and before that a 10 day pacific island cruise on board Rhapsody of the Seas all of which we enjoyed greatly.

We were booked to a 12 night pacific islands and Fiji cruise on Solstice on the 20th March 2016 but have canceled in favor of a 14 night cruise on Golden Princess leaving Melbourne on the 8th March 2016

Ports: Melbourne, Australia | Mare, New Caledonia | Mystery Island, Vanuatu | Vila, Vanuatu | Champagne Bay, Vanuatu | Wala, Vanuatu | Luganville, Vanuatu | Melbourne, Australia

There are eight sea days on this cruise which for us is a big plus

However this is not the main reason for the change in our plans, let me explain.

1 The Solstice leaves from Sydney so airfares and a hotel on the nigh prior to sailing add up to approx $1500

2 The Balcony Stateroom on the Solstice is very nice but not quite as large as the mini suite on Golden Princess

3 Possible the most important consideration for us, we find that the "class" system that has crept into Celebrity over the last year or two has made them a bit less of a perfect fit for us , we did not like not having access to Micheals club as this was the only place that had any classical music on our cruises

We did not like the reserving of blocks of seats in the theater and other places including the sky lounge for private functions and felt to some extent the ship was divided into "classes" and was becoming more so with the advent of luminea as the suite restaurant (this is not a major turn off but shall we say a niggling annoyance ) and it would not prevent us from sailing on Celebrity in the future

However given the choice of sailing for our "Home Port" with its $ savings on airfares and given a cruise that takes us to a number of smaller low key ports that interest us we think its worth taking the plunge and risking a new cruise line for us

From what we can see we rather like the decor on the Golden Princess and the range of dining venues

So will we be back on board Solstice with our tails between our legs or will we be happy with Princess??

Best Regards

John

Hi Folks

Some background we are located in Melbourne Australia and are a party of three Myself and My Wife Jean and her mother Elsie

Jean and I have made two cruises on Solstice (both 12 day trips to New Zealand) in the last two years and before that a 10 day pacific island cruise on board Rhapsody of the Seas all of which we enjoyed greatly.

We were booked to a 12 night pacific islands and Fiji cruise on Solstice on the 20th March 2016 but have canceled in favor of a 14 night cruise on Golden Princess leaving Melbourne on the 8th March 2016

Ports: Melbourne, Australia | Mare, New Caledonia | Mystery Island, Vanuatu | Vila, Vanuatu | Champagne Bay, Vanuatu | Wala, Vanuatu | Luganville, Vanuatu | Melbourne, Australia

However this is not the main reason for the change in our plans, let me explain.

1 The Solstice leaves from Sydney so airfares and a hotel on the nigh prior to sailing add up to approx $1500

2 The Balcony Stateroom on the Solstice is very nice but not quite as large as the mini suite on Golden Princess

3 Possible the most important consideration for us, we find that the "class" system that has crept into Celebrity over the last year or two has made them a bit less of a perfect fit for us , we did not like not having access to Micheals club as this was the only place that had any classical music on our cruises

We did not like the reserving of blocks of seats in the theater and other places including the sky lounge for private functions and felt to some extent the ship was divided into "classes" and was becoming more so with the advent of luminea as the suite restaurant (this is not a major turn off but shall we say a niggling annoyance ) and it would not prevent us from sailing on Celebrity in the future

However given the choice of sailing for our "Home Port" with its $ savings on airfares and given a cruise that takes us to a number of smaller low key ports that interest us we think its worth taking the plunge and risking a new cruise line for us

From what we can see we rather like the decor on the Golden Princess and the range of dining venues

So will we be back on board Solstice with our tails between our legs or will we be happy with Princess??

Best Regards

John

John,

I hope you have a great cruise on Princess.

We have cruised on Solstice as well as 8 Celebrity cruises. We like the cruise line as well as love your country. If we didn't live in the USA, we would want to live in Australia.

We always book a veranda or balcony, just as we always fly tourist on airline flights. I have never felt like a second class passenger on either Celebrity or an airline, because I didn't book a suite or first class seat.

Do you fly in tourist and have the same feeling about the airline having those first class passengers up front with nice reclining seats, champagne and better meals?

Sure, the suite passengers receive a few perks, why not, they probably paid at least double what we paid for our balcony. They can have Michae's Club, we never used it anyway.

Since we are elite on Celebrity, we do enjoy the free drinks during happy hour. I don't think that makes us class snobs.

How on earth do you spend $1500 on flights from Melbourne to Sydney and one night accommodation? Flight is only an hour and should be $400 or cheaper, where do you stay to cost $1100 for one night?

We've sailed 4 times with Princess and will sail with Celebrity for 3rd time in August. That being said I think they are very comparable except for the food. I think Celebrity's food is much better. Princess' buffet is pretty bad (imho) while Celebrity's is very good. We just got off the Equinox and their Oceanview Cafe was awesome. However for the reasons you listed I would probably book Princess also. I hear the Golden is a nice ship.

BTW, we've been to Australia and spent 3 days in Melbourne. What a beautiful country you have! We did a Globus tour and spent a week in New Zealand and two weeks in Australia. It was an amazing trip! Good luck with your choice.

The Golden Princess is the only Princess ship I've been on. For me it was one of least enjoyable cruises I've ever been on. It was an extremely crowded ship, small theatre, small seats, long waits for dinner, average food.

I enjoyed the cruises I took on Carnival and Costa much more than Princess.

Hope it works out better for you. Enjoy your cruise.

We sail both Princess and Celebrity, and we enjoy both lines. They are comparable products. I agree that Celebrity is moving more towards the class system, and since that annoys you, it's a good reason to give another line a try. We try to mix it up a bit since we find the same cruise line can get repetitive after awhile. Princess has a lot of things we like ---- smaller MDRs instead of one cavernous one, International Cafe, a wonderful pasta course at dinner (just ask for a small portion of the pasta of the day as an appetizer), MUTS on the ships that have them, self serve laundries and irons on all decks, more entertainment , and so on. The Golden is one of the older ships but I hear it's well kept up. Have a great cruise.

How on earth do you spend $1500 on flights from Melbourne to Sydney and one night accommodation? Flight is only an hour and should be $400 or cheaper, where do you stay to cost $1100 for one night?

Would like to see how you get flights for 3 adults with checked luggage for $400?? and there is more than likely return flights included in the $1500 the OP stated

I have sailed both ships. I enjoyed myself both times, but I do find some significant differences. I agree with the earlier poster that said the food (both MDR and buffet) are much better on Celebrity. I find the lounge entertainment better on Princess, and particularly enjoy their Piano Bar. It is more down to earth and nautically themed. There are more children, although not as many as RCCL or NCL. I agree the mini suites on Princess are larger and the seating area is nice, but I think the decor and bathroom are nicer on Celebrity. I typically prefer Celebrity, but that price difference is substantial. As for which you like more, I think that is a matter of divi dual taste.

Many of us cruise on different cruise lines at different times, for a variety of different reasons.

Many of us have also canceled one cruise and switched to a different one, but the difference is that we just did it, without bothering to post an explanation about it.

What you are doing is perfectly fine and there is absolutely no need for a "tails between our legs" feeling if you decide to go back to Celebrity, or to any other cruise line for that matter.

As far as I know, none of us has ever taken a vow of exclusivity promising "forsaking all others" to any cruise line. ;)

No cruise line or ship is perfect.

They all have pros and cons. Trying a different one can be an adventure, much like staying at a different hotel or trying a different restaurant. They say that variety is the spice of life.

In any case, we wish you a wonderful cruise on Princess.

Would like to see how you get flights for 3 adults with checked luggage for $400?? and there is more than likely return flights included in the $1500 the OP stated

but if it is even $250 per person return with Jetstar (can put up with that for 1 hour surely) that still leaves $1,050 for one nights accommodation! Even the Intercontinental you would only pay $600 and that is over the top for 1 night before a cruise. Just my opinion.

I for one would be interested to hear your report after this cruise. We have two cruises on each line, and to me Celebrity is a definite step up from Princess (except for the two itineraries we chose Princess for: Alaska, where Princess has access to Glacier Bay; and the Panama Canal, where their partial PC cruise goes halfway into the Canal while Celebrity spends the day at the skeeziest port in the Caribbean). But since we have exhausted the itineraries of Coral Princess (and Island has been ruined in a drydock expansion), we need to find a Princess ship and itinerary to use up our future cruise certificates. So if you are able to say you enjoyed this cruise as much as your recent Celebrity ones, that will be good to know. Happy cruising!

I have been on both ships within the last 12 months. I started on Celebrity. These days I do 3 cruises on Princess for every cruise that I do on Celebrity. Based upon recent changes that ratio may tilt even more in favor of Princess.

Much more alike then different. I find Princess to be more in line with what I like these days then Celebrity.

It really depends upon your own tastes, but it should be fine.

If you look for everything to be exactly the same and start viewing differences as negatives then it will not work. If you go knowing that there will be some differences and you enjoy exploring those differences (some you might like better, some you might not like as much) then it will be fine.

Edited by RDC1

Hi Folks

Qantas fares Melb - Sydney are for the date we wish to travel $159 per person each way

IE: $159 X 6 = $954

one night at the Mantra Hotel for 3 persons = $440-00

= $1394

Airport Tranfers from Wantirna South - =$140 each way

Airport --Hotel Transfers = approx $50

Ship to Airport $50

so a total of $ 1774 -00

So my estimate of $1500 was quite reasonable (:D)

I'm sure we will enjoy Golden Princess

thank you all for contributions

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

We have always enjoyed the classical or pseudo classical music in the ensemble lounge right outside of Michael's club.

I'm not sure if the Golden Princess is the same category as the sapphire Princess but I can tell you that I was hugely disappointed in the latter. The beautiful sweeping open spaces that I'm used to on the S class ships was completely missing on the sapphire Princess; there were many areas that were dead ends, the buffet was a complete misery (other than having the waiter serving your drinks) and I thought the decor was just abhorrent.

The food was OK in the dining rooms, but I really disliked having four small dining rooms instead of one large spacious elegant room.

There were a few things that I liked on the ship but there was much more that I did not like! However, it sounds like you have made up your mind so I hope you enjoy your cruise

I've sailed both lines, but neither ship.

I find them more alike than different.

Pluses and minuses to both.

Having said that next cruise was a choice between Celebrity and Princess.

Went Princess big issues were the tips included in the price rather than added on and charges in AUS$.

I have been on both of these ships within the past 2 years (different itineraries) and my choice would ALWAYS be the Solstice. The buffet on the Golden (and the Grand last year) are just pitiful. Plenty of seating, but the food selection is just sad. For the size of the ship and number of passengers the buffet seemed very limited. Food in the dining room was good, not great (first time I have ever had tough prime rib on a cruise) and I agree with others that I prefer one big open dining room.

I can't speak for the cabin comparison as we had a verandah on Solstice and an oceanview on the Golden, which was quite tight, especially the bathroom.

Hi Folks

its very interesting to hear your various views of the two ships and their cruise lines.

I laughed at the comment that we had not taken vows of fidelity to any line and were free to come and go at will, yes very true we will all evolve as we cruise and seek out the niche that suits us.

We cruise at least once a year mainly cruises of ten days or more, our first cruise in many years was on Rhapsody of the Seas which we enjoyed very much , we decided that there were just a few too many children on that ship for our liking and decided to try Celebrity for a slightly more "adult" cruise we enjoyed our first Solstice cruise very much , however some of that changes made between our first and second Solstice cruise made the "fit" a little different.

The removal of Michael's club as a venue and the dropping of classical music was something we missed

The concentration on heavy drinking and the beverage packages was noticeable

The roping off of the theater seats for various loyalty members was a little more "in your face" than previously

The MDR was just as nice as ever and Murano's nice but a tad pricey

Oceanview Buffet we thought was just the same and quite OK

I'm not saying that I dislike the Solstice , that would be silly , I'm saying we want to see what the Golden Princess in really like , and the cost savings of sailing EX Melbourne are quite a lot ..

But only time will tell and I'll certainly write here to let you know how we go.

Please feel free to tell us of your views

Best regards

John & Jean

Hi Folks

its very interesting to hear your various views of the two ships and their cruise lines.

I laughed at the comment that we had not taken vows of fidelity to any line and were free to come and go at will, yes very true we will all evolve as we cruise and seek out the niche that suits us.

We cruise at least once a year mainly cruises of ten days or more, our first cruise in many years was on Rhapsody of the Seas which we enjoyed very much , we decided that there were just a few too many children on that ship for our liking and decided to try Celebrity for a slightly more "adult" cruise we enjoyed our first Solstice cruise very much , however some of that changes made between our first and second Solstice cruise made the "fit" a little different.

The removal of Michael's club as a venue and the dropping of classical music was something we missed

The concentration on heavy drinking and the beverage packages was noticeable

The roping off of the theater seats for various loyalty members was a little more "in your face" than previously

The MDR was just as nice as ever and Murano's nice but a tad pricey

Oceanview Buffet we thought was just the same and quite OK

I'm not saying that I dislike the Solstice , that would be silly , I'm saying we want to see what the Golden Princess in really like , and the cost savings of sailing EX Melbourne are quite a lot ..

But only time will tell and I'll certainly write here to let you know how we go.

Please feel free to tell us of your views

Best regards

John & Jean

I've only been on Celebrity once and not solstice, seem to end up on Princess over and over, but not Golden.

They are alike in many ways.

I prefer Princess and I am not sure I can put n words why.

A few things Celebrity do really well and Princess could follow:

The home made Ice Cream [but I am an ice cream addict]

Aqua Spa Cafe, SHE likes [needs due to health issues] all that healthy junk and it was great

Haven't cruised on a Princess ship with IC so not sure how it compares to Celebrity's Cafe.

Demographic was very similar.

MDR food similar

Buffet Similar

Entertainment Similar

Princess have your cabin ready when you board which is nice.

Princess charge in AUS$ and no auto tips added to your account. But don't offer alcohol packages in Australia [if that's an issue for you].

I will go with both again expect, but if have a choice of similar itineraries at similar prices Princess will probably win.

I've only been on Celebrity once and not solstice, seem to end up on Princess over and over, but not Golden.

They are alike in many ways.

I prefer Princess and I am not sure I can put n words why.

A few things Celebrity do really well and Princess could follow:

The home made Ice Cream [but I am an ice cream addict]

Yes that could be hard however I see that Golden Princess has a large soft serve area so all is not lost :eek:

Aqua Spa Cafe, SHE likes [needs due to health issues] all that healthy junk and it was great

Haven't cruised on a Princess ship with IC so not sure how it compares to Celebrity's Cafe.

Yes and the idea of the coffee card sound like a good thing , we found cafe El Baco (spell) on Solstice was rather busy and sometime could not get a seat perhaps IC may solve that one ... but what is the "normal" coffee like on Princess , should I take my Late sachets with me as I did on the Solstice ??

Demographic was very similar.

MDR food similar

Buffet Similar

Entertainment Similar

Princess have your cabin ready when you board which is nice.

Thats good saves carting our hand luggage round for too long , can I ask what venues are open for lunch of embarkation day??

Princess charge in AUS$ and no auto tips added to your account. But don't offer alcohol packages in Australia [if that's an issue for you].

Whilst I do like a drink from time to time packages are far too much for me and my wife and MIL dont drink at all so thats not an issue for us

As for tips .. I just wish that all cruise lines would include them in the fare , so we know exactly what we need to pay up front

I will go with both again expect, but if have a choice of similar itineraries at similar prices Princess will probably win.

Me too but I was hankering for this itinerary when I saw it appear a year or so ago I like the idea of the "small" places

I'll be sure to report my findings :p

Best regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Me too but I was hankering for this itinerary when I saw it appear a year or so ago I like the idea of the "small" places

I'll be sure to report my findings :p

Best regards

John

One reason I like smaller ships is that often they visit ports the big ones don't and the port isn't as over run.

In just under 16 weeks we are gong on the biggest ship we have ever been on [Diamond Princess].

Please report back and tell us how you find Golden.

We are looking at a cruise to Tassie on her next year. [but we've only cruised tassie 6 times so far].

I think you will be happy on the Golden.....sounds like a good fit for you

Hi Folks

Best Regards

John

I can't believe the tipping program was a major issue...either way we are only talking about a few hundred dollars....

For me I choose Celebrity...I am a suite traveler I like the space...I am 6'8 so space is important to me. Also, Celebrity treats the suite passengers much better. While I don't get how anyone would look down on another passenger because they choose an inside or OV cabin I chose a suite and like that Celebrity acknowledges the fact that we paid more for the suite by giving more perks.....Princess seems not to believe this....So.... pick celebrity, I really don't care that much about a suite only dining room...but, I do like... alot that I can use all the specialty restaurants at no extra charge, and have a premium drink package included. and have my minibar restocked for free. I know I pay for them....but princess does not give you the options. I was pissed off on my last cruise with them because I had to stand in the massive line to get off the ship.....I don't say I am better than all the others...but did think I had paid for the right to skip to the front...but Princess does not agree....and I think when you pay for the top suite you should have reserved seating for the shows....Princess does not agree....So, i pick celebrity.

I've sailed both lines, but neither ship.

I find them more alike than different.

Pluses and minuses to both.

Having said that next cruise was a choice between Celebrity and Princess.

Went Princess big issues were the tips included in the price rather than added on and charges in AUS$.

I can't believe the tipping program was a major issue...either way we are only talking about a few hundred dollars....

For me I choose Celebrity...I am a suite traveler I like the space...I am 6'8 so space is important to me. Also, Celebrity treats the suite passengers much better. While I don't get how anyone would look down on another passenger because they choose an inside or OV cabin I chose a suite and like that Celebrity acknowledges the fact that we paid more for the suite by giving more perks.....Princess seems not to believe this....So.... pick celebrity, I really don't care that much about a suite only dining room...but, I do like... alot that I can use all the specialty restaurants at no extra charge, and have a premium drink package included. and have my minibar restocked for free. I know I pay for them....but princess does not give you the options. I was pissed off on my last cruise with them because I had to stand in the massive line to get off the ship.....I don't say I am better than all the others...but did think I had paid for the right to skip to the front...but Princess does not agree....and I think when you pay for the top suite you should have reserved seating for the shows....Princess does not agree....So, i pick celebrity.

True enough.

It's like people who fly first class on a plane, getting their lounge and priority boarding. I don't begrudge them that. They're paying extra and part of the reason is they get extra benefits. It does seem a bit poor if you're paying all that extra for a suite on Princess, but don't really get much extra except for the cabin itself.