Airfare, what is the deal?

RaiderFaninNM

Been about 4 years for us to fly and we booked a cruise out of San Juan PR in Jan, looking at the airfare, WOW! :eek:

What is the deal, it is mid Jan and on a Tues 1 way, not sure what is going on but the prices are silly stupid, from ABQ to SJ PR, never expected these crazy prices, SWA prices are $748PP that week! Advice, tip, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Advice, tip, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

A lot changes in 4yrs.

Don't tie yourself to Southwest. I don't know which Tuesday you're flying but I see ABQ-DFW-SJU on AA for $305 pp on 1/5 and 1/12, $220 pp on 1/19 and 1/26.

Heck, there are flights in First/Business Class every Tuesday for $150 less than WN are asking.

Edited by fbgd

I believe OP would be flying on 1/12. Looks like AA ABQ-DFW-SJU for $305 would be the best option. Besides the fact that Southwest is over $400 more pp, the only option is a 2-stop flight, ABQ-DEN-MCO-SJU. But, you do get 2 free checked bags...

I believe OP would be flying on 1/12. Looks like AA ABQ-DFW-SJU for $305 would be the best option. Besides the fact that Southwest is over $400 more pp, the only option is a 2-stop flight, ABQ-DEN-MCO-SJU. But, you do get 2 free checked bags...

Thanks all and yes the day is 1/12, never thought the airfare would cost more then the cruise, potentially, good thing is we end up in New Orleans so that hopefully cuts the return air a bit. Wow will keep looking....:(

What day are you flying home from New Orleans? United has flights for $215 on 1/24 & 1/25.

ETA: Looks like Southwest has flights for $215 on those dates as well.

Edited by HawksFan74

What day are you flying home from New Orleans? United has flights for $215 on 1/24 & 1/25.

ETA: Looks like Southwest has flights for $215 on those dates as well.

We plan on flying out on 1/26, want to spend a few days enjoying NO, never been there.

You can't compare air fares from 4 years ago to today.

You can't compare air fares to cruise fares. That isn't even apples and oranges, that is apples and hamburger.

Only looking at Sothwest airfares is not a wise thing to do....

Edited by CruiserBruce

You can't compare air fares from 4 years ago to today.

You can't compare air fares to cruise fares. That isn't even apples and oranges, that is apples and hamburger.

Only looking at Sothwest airfares is not a wise thing to do....

Never said I was only looking at SW, I have literally looked at every avail airline and just shocked at the cost.........

305 * 3 = 915+75 for baggage = 990...........:)

I am going to hold out a bit longer and wait it out....

You must be very young if you think that $990 for three people is expensive. I remember another time when flying was expensive and for me $990 for three persons seems very cheap!

305 * 3 = 915+75 for baggage = 990...........:)

I am going to hold out a bit longer and wait it out....

First off....don't talk about total prices for a group. For any kind of reasonable discussion, it's per person. Now...however that affects your total budget - that's for your own consideration. But it only muddles the discussion here.

As for waiting...do you really expect the price to go down? Perhaps a more important question...can you afford for the price to go up? Because if you can't, then you have two options. Buy now or cancel your trip.

Personally, when asked, I always believe that it is a greater than 50% likelihood of "up" versus "down".'

But, if you have that risk tolerance....go ahead. It's your choice.

Flying to a warm climate when it is cold 'up north' will not likely yield lower airfares.

Second point...you need to be looking at 'multi city' fares for your total flying package. Currently for your approx dates, ABQ>SJU, MSY>ABQ, the round trip in economy on AA is $390. pp.

You must be very young if you think that $990 for three people is expensive. I remember another time when flying was expensive and for me $990 for three persons seems very cheap!

Young, I wish............:D

$990 RT is real good I thought it was one way......:cool:

I agree now is the time to book and live with the fare as it you are correct flying into warmer part of the world in winter is not going to yield any kind of super saver fares......

We are on Adventure out of San Juan 2/20/16. Called SW asked when Feb. dates would be open, told me 6/30. Got online at 5:00am and got 3 round trip from Nashville for $1200. Looked today and same tickets would be $1900. You have to get them almost as soon as dates open.