Does the price of Cheers drop during the Fall?

detroitlions

Another question, we are going on an 11 day on the Dream. Any discounts for longer cruises. at the regular rate the price will close to $1200 with tip for 2.

Unfortunately, no. We will be on the Glory next year for 21 days, if we were to buy Cheers it would be $21oo. :eek::eek: Even without the 15 port days there is no way we could drink $2100 worth of beer.

I do agree that they should have a tiered package. For those that drink beer, it is not cost effective at all.

We are cruising Carnival for the first time in a few weeks and I would get the cheers but my wife doesn't drink much and it would be wasted for her. When we sailed RCI I was able to get the unlimited drink package just for me and she got a non-alcoholic package. Everyone in the stateroom did not have to purchase a package. The other thing about the RCI package was if I ordered a glass if wine that wasn't included in the package (wines over $10/glass I think) you were just charged the amount over $10 instead of a percent discount like Carnival does (if I understand it correctly).

I like the drink packages because it lets me try drinks I wouldn't normally try. Wish Carnival would allow it to be per person, instead of everyone in the stateroom.

Cheers isn't meant to save cruisers money; it is meant to make Carnival money.

It does save money for people that drink several drinks and drink liquor. Drinking beer it does not save money.

Trust me, with Cheers, Carnival makes less money on some people than they would if they did not have Cheers.

My problem is there is no way could I justify paying $2100 for cheers. :rolleyes:

Edited by ready2cruzagain

what a weird comment, 60 divided by 15 = 4, where are you going to get $4 drinks on CCL and that's with tip included

The break even point on Cheers is 6 or 7 drinks a day. After that, it is supposed to be gravy. BUT Carnival knows that most of the people who buy Cheers will just get by with the break even point and very few will get to 15 for each day. Therefore, It is not going to be a money loss for them.

However, if they allow only one person in a cabin to buy cheers and there are other drinkers in the cabin, they know that people will "share" and definitely reach the 15 drinks in a day. That becomes a money loss for them. Therefore, they will not make that change.

It does save money for people that drink several drinks and drink liquor. Drinking beer it does not save money.

Trust me, with Cheers, Carnival makes less money on some people than they would if they did not have Cheers.

My problem is there is no way could I justify paying $2100 for cheers. :rolleyes:

If you average 6 to 7 alcoholic drinks a day, you will pay that much over all. 6 to 7 drinks is the break even point on Cheers. How many beers is the break even point for Cheers? I don't know because do not drink beer on cruises and don't know what beer costs there. You need to know what that is before you can determine if cheers is for you.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

If you average 6 to 7 alcoholic drinks a day, you will pay that much over all. 6 to 7 drinks is the break even point on Cheers. How many beers is the break even point for Cheers? I don't know because do not drink beer on cruises and don't know what beer costs there. You need to know what that is before you can determine if cheers is for you.

Believe me, I have done the math.

On Carnival at the present time with Cheers if I were to drink Dos Equis, I would have to drink 10 Dos Equis a day just to break even. And remember the cut off is point 5 more drinks.

Considering we both have to buy the package, we would be drinking minimum of 20 beers a day just to break even.:eek:

At 21 days (length of our cruise) we would have to drink 420 beers between us just to break even.:eek::eek:

I don't think I will be buying the Cheers package for beer any time soon.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Believe me, I have done the math.

On Carnival at the present time with Cheers if I were to drink Dos Equis, I would have to drink 10 Dos Equis a day just to break even. And remember the cut off is point 5 more drinks.

Considering we both have to buy the package, we would be drinking minimum of 20 beers a day just to break even.:eek:

At 21 days (length of our cruise) we would have to drink 420 beers between us just to break even.:eek::eek:

I don't think I will be buying the Cheers package for beer any time soon.

So, if you don't drink 10 beers a day, then the cheers program is not for you. So, what are you complaining about. That is the same as if someone does not drink 6 or 7 alcoholic drinks a day finding that the cheers program is not for them.

So, if you don't drink 10 beers a day, then the cheers program is not for you. So, what are you complaining about. That is the same as if someone does not drink 6 or 7 alcoholic drinks a day finding that the cheers program is not for them.

Who said I was complaining? I said we would each have to drink 10 beers a day just to break even, then we would be cut off in 5 more....not worth it for beer drinkers. Especially when you have 15 port days on as 21 day cruise.

Like I said, not worth $2100 for cheers when drinking beer.

I don't buy it because I don't think it's a value for me. I drink but I'm not going to purchase a drink package and feel "obligated" to get my money's worth.

Haven't seen that in this thread but when they first introduced Cheers, there were lots of those comments - people who say they'll buy it so they won't need to worry about what they're spending even though they probably won't drink enough to break even.

You don't want to worry about what you're spending on booze so you'll spend more? As a shareholder, let me just say "thank you!" :D

Personally, I don't think that just because RCI or NCL does something is a good reason for Carnival to do it. The lines are too similar as it is. They don't need to move toward being as much alike as possible. People need SOME differences.

I don't need or want an unlimited drink package, so I'm not going to pay more on another cruise line to get it!

I'll take my low fares and buy my drinks, thanks. I prefer to pay only for what I use rather than have things built into the price.

I know some of the other lines when they give the packages out you do pay more for your fare but if you do the math you end up saving money. When carnival lowered the price it was more reasonable. The whole pay as you go gets expensive as most experienced cruisers know. Ncl same room category on a new ship picking 1 of 4 free options drink pkg being one for 2adults and a kid $400 more than cc on a older ship. I picked NCL. I do like there optional dining options better. Buffets are all the same to me.

On the average though, they don't. Or else, they wouldn't offer it. It would be stupid for any business to offer something that decreases revenue.

So here's a question for you... :D

Carnival's website states:

"The cost of CHEERS! is $49.95 per person/per day. Applicable gratuities are additional. Price adjustments (up or down) implemented on the day of sailing will replace any previously advertised price."

Have any of you ever witnessed a price adjustment on the day of sailing?

NOTE: I am not talking about the change in prices that Carnival tried last year about this time. I mean, you get on board and find out that Cheers is not $49.95 per day :eek: - it costs less or more per day.

So here's a question for you... :D

Carnival's website states:

"The cost of CHEERS! is $49.95 per person/per day. Applicable gratuities are additional. Price adjustments (up or down) implemented on the day of sailing will replace any previously advertised price."

Have any of you ever witnessed a price adjustment on the day of sailing?

NOTE: I am not talking about the change in prices that Carnival tried last year about this time. I mean, you get on board and find out that Cheers is not $49.95 per day :eek: - it costs less or more per day.

Other than the one time adjustment they later retracted, there have been no adjustments as your question suggests.

The CHEERS package does cost quite a bit and I agree that they should not force both people in a cabin to purchase it. Since I'm booked on this 7 day cruise, I will be paying the cost for both of us and my friend really doesn't drink as much as I do. I'm doing it because on our last cruise I spent so much on drinks alone, so this time we will get our money's worth. :)

I agree. There has to be a way to fix it. There's so many instances where wife can't drink because she's pregnant, or husband can't drink due to medical concerns. Why can't the other person still purchase? I mean how can a company like NCL offer drink packages FOR FREE when you book a balcony but Carnival can't allow one person in the balcony to purchase. Ok so there's the issue of sharing? Who cares? There's still a drink limit. It's not like 2 people sharing are going to drink the bar dry.

Last summer my wife was pregnant and they had absolutely no hesitation with only charging me for Cheers. All it took was quick stop at guest services where they called the ship's bar manager who came down and talked to us about it. He rang me up on the spot, and even threw in the unlimited soda package for her for no extra charge. We had her pregnancy paperwork signed by her doctor but he didn't need it since she was visibly pregnant at the time.

Last summer my wife was pregnant and they had absolutely no hesitation with only charging me for Cheers. All it took was quick stop at guest services where they called the ship's bar manager who came down and talked to us about it. He rang me up on the spot, and even threw in the unlimited soda package for her for no extra charge. We had her pregnancy paperwork signed by her doctor but he didn't need it since she was visibly pregnant at the time.

Good timing, right place, right time! I have read many posts on CC where the ship personnel absolutely refused to make an exception to their rule no matter the circumstances.

Good timing, right place, right time! I have read many posts on CC where the ship personnel absolutely refused to make an exception to their rule no matter the circumstances.

Maybe the fact that we ended up talking to the ship's bar manager himself is the difference? It would make sense that management has more leeway with this sort of thing. The folks at the cheers sign up tables wouldn't give us an answer so we ended up at guest services where they called him. Maybe that's the trick. Or, like you said, we just got lucky and ended up with a sympathetic officer who was willing to make an exception to keep some guests happy. Regardless, it made lifelong customers out of us.

Maybe the fact that we ended up talking to the ship's bar manager himself is the difference? It would make sense that management has more leeway with this sort of thing. The folks at the cheers sign up tables wouldn't give us an answer so we ended up at guest services where they called him. Maybe that's the trick. Or, like you said, we just got lucky and ended up with a sympathetic officer who was willing to make an exception to keep some guests happy. Regardless, it made lifelong customers out of us.

this is the first time I have ever read that there was an exception. I have read dozens and dozens of people saying that they would not allow an exception for any reason including yours. You got lucky talking with the right people at the right time

I can see why they make all adults in the room have it...I am sure cheating would be rampant.

That's the thing, I Don't Get It. 15 drinks is 15 drinks regardless of WHO drinks them! What difference does it make to Carnival? If it was truly unlimited, then I could understand, but $50 daily for 15 drinks shouldn't matter who drinks them. I should be able to order drinks for anyone I want with that limit.

Carnival is NOT and WILL NOT lose money that way. It's not adding up, and I'll be glad when they realize it, and make some changes.

That's the thing, I Don't Get It. 15 drinks is 15 drinks regardless of WHO drinks them! What difference does it make to Carnival? If it was truly unlimited, then I could understand, but $50 daily for 15 drinks shouldn't matter who drinks them. I should be able to order drinks for anyone I want with that limit.

Carnival is NOT and WILL NOT lose money that way. It's not adding up, and I'll be glad when they realize it, and make some changes.

I agree. I would be happy to get it to share as my husband would get his money's worth but I definately would not. I maybe only have a couple drinks the entire cruise so it would be a waste for me to get it. Even if we could shared don't think we would still hit the 15 drinks between us.