What would you do about "scaled back" cruise?

KDvacation

It might be a good time for everyone to reread Melissa Paloti's well done piece on :)" Charter Cruises : Everything You Need to Know" :)that is posted under the Community section of this board....excellent reference starting point to understand the contractual language that each cruise line utilizes to determine full & partial charters and large groups on regular sailings so evetyone discussing this topic has a common starting reference point

Having been a part of a large Jazz (50% of the ship capacity) Group on a mega ship regular sailing, a regular guest on a mid size ship where I was not part of the large (50%) political affinity group that I had absolutely no shared interest in and being Blessed for the last 11 years to sail on a private full charter Jazz Cruise on a mega ship, I feel I have somewhat an understanding from all 3 perspectives

IMHO, unless one can afford to partake in longer (8+ days) cruises or avoid the mass cruise lines on mega ships (that will give a better discount based upon volumes) or booked higher end or speciality cruise, chances are you well may encounter a large group that will have some impact upon your solo (couple) cruise experience...do not prejudge a group simply by it's affinity...500 Straight Ahead (Mellow) Jazz Fans might not disrupt your experience, where as 100 Monks/Nuns might wreck havoc all week:eek:based upon their logistical needs ...key is being flexible.and being open to move out of one's cruise "comfort zone"..if the Crow's Nest is your favorite haunt and is reserved, that leaves another area of the ship for you to discover that is less crowded...fyi.... unless there are no other cabin options...never select a cabin above or below public areas on any sailing....CD's often plan alternative activities specifically in mind to offset the known planned schedule of the large group...you may demand to be switched to another sailing to avoid a group and wind up on a sailing with a bigger group that will impact your experience even more if you stayed on your original cruise...safe bet to plan your cruise regardless whether you know there is or is not a large group onboard (what would happen if 90 days out the large group cancels due to failure to make contractual payments ontime and the cruise line offers cheap rates to fill the ship which may attract an entire non group demographic then you are double whammy they paid far less for the same (often prime cabin) and they crowd the public rooms

And if you do like jazz just go into the venues with the group and enjoy the music.

I'm sorry, but this is bad advice. The group members have paid a premium for their special events/entertainment. I've heard of one group cruise (Irish music???) that opened some events to the entire ship, but that is up to the group organizers to decide to do so. Usually groups have some sort of identification (typically badge or lanyard) that indicates who is entitled to attend events.

This is the first I've heard of any HAL ship having a special venue for four and five star Mariners. Perhaps this was some sort of experiment? What was the benefit to the high Star Mariners to have a lounge set aside for them for two hours? Did they provide complimentary drinks?

On top of that, I feel it interesting to comment they omitted their four and five star Mariners who dine at 8 P.M. from cocktail hour. If we wanted to dress and go out for the evening at 5 P.M., we would not request 8 P.M. dinner. This seems like a half thought out, not well considered off the cuff means of trying to make it appear they are offering a Mariner Benefit when actually they probably are irritating more people than pleasing UNLESS there is more benefit to this reserve Crows Nest than I have understood.

As a Five Star Mariner, I have no interest or see anything of value being offered by closing other people out of a lounge. If there was more to this cocktail hour situation, I hope you'll share with us. :)

It doesn't work for early traditional diners either. Sometimes early is a 5:15 so no time before really. You'd also be hard pressed to get out of the MDR before 7.

It doesn't work for early traditional diners either. Sometimes early is a 5:15 so no time before really. You'd also be hard pressed to get out of the MDR before 7.

Maybe it was better thought out than I gave them credit for. :D

Make it as hard to attend for as many guests as possible.

I still haven't learned what the 'benefit' is they offered? Was it reduced priced cocktails or even complimentary? To reserve the Crows Nest and offer nothing more is an empty benefit, IMO

Maybe it was better thought out than I gave them credit for. :D

Make it as hard to attend for as many guests as possible.

I still haven't learned what the 'benefit' is they offered? Was it reduced priced cocktails or even complimentary? To reserve the Crows Nest and offer nothing more is an empty benefit, IMO

When they had the b2b cocktail hour on my last cruise they had it at some silly time like 6:30. I'm sure it was to thin out the crowd. I'd love to hear about that party as well. Would love to know how the poster knew it was for 4 and 5 star.

We are pleased that this has given you a "heads up." I should add that the Smooth Jazz Cruise has become somewhat of a HAL tradition (this group has their cruises on HAL every year) and it is an outstanding opportunity for those who are big fans of jazz.

Hank

But is this not a full charter ??

Only those that book through the promoter will be on the ship

When they had the b2b cocktail hour on my last cruise they had it at some silly time like 6:30. I'm sure it was to thin out the crowd. I'd love to hear about that party as well. Would love to know how the poster knew it was for 4 and 5 star.

I want to sail with you. :) We can go to the reserved Crows Nest Cocktail hour. :D :)

It seems like cruise lines could do something along the lines of many hotels. It is not uncommon to book a room on the Hilton website and have a fairly obvious note (Red, larger font) that indicates construction, etc and the areas/amenities that will be impacted. This is also usually included on any reservation confirmation.

For a recent international trip, the hotel website actually indicated something along the lines of "a large group will be in attendance from xx - xx and you may expect limited access to restaurants at select times and larger than normal groups in lobby, bars and pool areas".

It allows for an informed (happy) consumer and involves nothing more than a webmaster.

hui

As a solo cruiser I would be upset the crows nest was available at night. I love the crows nest after I have eaten my dinner (late seating) You can sometimes watch the sun go down. On a few of my cruises groups have taken over a room. On one there was no emarlation lunch as they took over the whole ship. but the funny thing is I never knew they were aboard . I have no interested in being saved by a inspiration groups. One of them approached me at hotel lobby they were getting ready to board and I was just off.

Mary

I just inquired concerning a group that is on my upcoming cruise. Here is the response I got:

We have large groups onboard all the time and it’s never an issue for other guests. These private parties and events are scheduled during times that would not interrupt the daily schedule.

I guess it is just following the company line.

I just inquired concerning a group that is on my upcoming cruise. Here is the response I got:

We have large groups onboard all the time and it’s never an issue for other guests. These private parties and events are scheduled during times that would not interrupt the daily schedule.

I guess it is just following the company line.

Contact the group. I've found the organizers of group cruises to be very helpful.

I was on one HAL cruise with a large (close to 50% of passengers) politically oriented group. It was WONDERFUL for the REST of us. All day it left the entire rest of the ship for the rest of us to enjoy. Like sailing with a 50% empty ship.

They met most mornings and afternoons in the main show room (out in time for Bingo to be held there). Well, I go most days without needing the showroom during the day. One evening they did take over the covered Lido Pool area for a few hours. Other than that - no impact on my enjoyment of the ship or its activities. They were also NOT rowdy nor did they try to "convert" others. In fact, I thought they lost a great opportunity. They had some very high powered, well known names speakers of their persuasion and I thought it could have been a great recruiting tool to have at least one open session - maybe get some coverts.

Thankfully (for me) they sat together at specific tables around the dining room so they also did not impact my dinners. (I would NOT have fit into their group at all!!!)

Don't expect HAL to do anything about this. Your best course of action is what you are doing now. You were disappointed in your cruise and you posted your experience in an eloquent manner. As a result you have a choice to never cruise with HAL again. Although my recent experience was not as dire as yours, I was very disappointed in the entertainment and activities onboard and will choose not to book HAL for future cruises.

Can't believe it was so disappointing. Sailing up the inside passage is like sailing through a painting that gets prettier by the day. Then a chance to land on glaciers, take a floatplane, catch a salmon or Halibut. Watch whales breaching

See eagles sitting in trees. Etc etc

Sitting in a theater listening to a lecturer and missing the above?

Did you do anything on this cruise?

Can't believe it was so disappointing. Sailing up the inside passage is like sailing through a painting that gets prettier by the day. Then a chance to land on glaciers, take a floatplane, catch a salmon or Halibut. Watch whales breaching

See eagles sitting in trees. Etc etc

Sitting in a theater listening to a lecturer and missing the above?

Did you do anything on this cruise?

The sarcasm is unwarranted and totally inappropriate.:(

I appreciate everyone's input and point of view.

I will follow up in the future. I am just so disappointed in HAL. I don't expect a free cruise or huge payday out of this. Really there's no compensation for "my time" and my missed opportunity to be on a full activity cruise.

There should be a way for people to know about these charters that are going to disrupt the "norm". I know that's just a pipe dream

As far as the "drinks being cold", I can't comment. I'm not much of a drinker and didn't plan for drinking to be a major on board activity. It really was about the other events. I wonder if the drinkers had a better cruise than me. Lol.

IF you are going to write to HAL with your complaint, then I suggest you get some of the newletters of the Westerdam- sailing the SAME itinerary as you- now, and have in black and white- the DIFFERENT schedule of events. Just because you claim things weren't offered doesn't mean much if you can't prove that YOUR cruise was an exception and it impacted your enjoyment.

Would be essential in my opinion, to make a valid complaint.

I'm glad I came across this post. My dad called yesterday to say he had booked the Westerdam on 2/20/16 and wanted to know if we wanted to go. He had booked directly with HAL.

I went to my TA's website to see what prices he was quoting and the cruise wasn't listed. Did a little research here on CC and find that Inspiration will be on this cruise. I have no interest in sharing a cruise ship with any large group - no matter what their affiliation.

I understand your frustration and dissatisfaction, and agree that you should write a letter of complaint detailing your dissatisfaction.

Obviously, not having the group on your cruise would the biggest thing, but that ship has quite literally sailed. So what can Holland America do now to make you happy? What do you want to come from your complaint?

I believe a commitment from HAL to provide notice of itineraries on which such groups will sail would be a worthy result. Of course, they are not likely to give such notice as it would negatively impact bookings. At the very last, they should commit to strictly limit the times/venues set aside for such groups; since failure to make available to ALL passengers the amenities their brochures proclaim amounts to nothing less than false advertising.

You may want to reconsider your Dad's invitation...a big joy of cruising is when one can cruise with one's family....a group can have either a major or minor impact on your overall experience but a big driver is how you choose to approach it....this is the group's 3rd year to do the cruise...you might email them and ask them to send you their daily schedule from last year's cruise (if you are lucky it might be on the Westerdam, large groups have a tendency to sail on the same ship or cruiseline, because of comfort with operational logistics) which will give you a general idea on what to expect...the greatest impact is on full days at sea

Actually, my dad's going to check into other sailings. He was surprised that HAL didn't say something to him - since he has a Personal Cruise Consultant. He's in his late 80's and remembers the good old days when people's only concern wasn't their commission check. He'll be putting out over $20,000 and shouldn't take a cruise that may be less than his expectation based on his previous cruises.

If he finds something else we might join them. We'll meet up with him in Florida this winter anyway. We can always cruise with him in Fall '16 or Winter '17.

At his age he's still extremely active - more so than I am some days and I'm in my 50's. Still leaves Dec 26 to drive himself from Toronto to St Pete Beach and at the end of April he drives himself back. I hope I can be doing as well when I'm his age.

Now that I'm home, I've contacted my travel agent who is going to formally complain to HAL about this on my behalf. The concept that I struggle with posed to me by the travel agent is what exactly do I ask for or expect from HAL. My biggest disappointment is the wasted vacation opportunity with respect to time off of work which cannot be replaced. I realize that I can't get my time back, but it was really unfair for HAL to sell me a cruise and then not deliver on their typical experience.

This is such an important part of this problem that HAL has to be made aware of it, and then make it right. You invested in their product, both financially and in personal time. What they advertised, and what you then invested in, was not what you received. HAL, however, has lost NOTHING. It's vital what we keep in mind that HAL knew in advance that this large group would negatively impact other guests, yet HAL chose not to advise you in advance. This is not the same as an unforeseen change in itinerary.

You have every right to pursue being made "whole" again. What would satisfy you ? It's your choice what to ask for...you're the damaged party.

Also, it may be an idea to contact the head of the group who was on your cruise, and simply ask when did they book the cruise, and what were they told about their impact on other guests. This information will help you decide how to proceed.