best anti aging face products

ozarkmama

I'm pretty plugged into skin care, and I haven't heard of it, and frankly my first thought was that it sounded like a pyramid scheme product. Googling suggests that it is.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/230123/guy-expertly-trolls-pyramid-scheme-pitch-on-facebook/

(Sunscreen, chemical exfoliants and maybe a little Botox are still the way to go. :))

Edited by perditax

And maybe a little RetinA ;)

Definitely, I'm good at remembering sunscreen, but I'm lazy at night time, I shower, put on the pj's have my glass of wine, & usually after I brush my teeth & am in bed remember that I'm meant to be putting on lotions & eye cream. :)

Many articles state it is a scam and could be dangerous as well.

that's what I've read too, a scam, & pyramid scheme.

Another vote for Retin-A. Currently using 'Retinol Reface' by Indeed, at Shoppers Drug Mart stores. Under $20.

Perditax, how do you make your own Vitamin C serum? I remember using one from Avon a few years ago and really liked it, but cannot find it lately.

I use Bel-Essence as my night cream. I'm pretty lucky in the sense that I have good genes as far as wrinkles go but it does make my skin more even and supple, there's definite improvement.

Edited by Illyria

Much as I hate continuing to bump the thread with a scam product at the top, here's a quick info-dump. For whatever reason, skin care is one of those topics that caught my attention when I was really young so I've absorbed a lot, no pun intended. :)

retin-a: a PRESCRIPTION chemical exfoliant that promotes cell turnover and helps with fine lines and texture and such. you can likely get a scrip for it or you can easily order it online or buy it in mexico. YOU MUST USE SUNSCREEN AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

retinol: a non-prescription ingredient in many drug store and higher-end skin care lines, this is a milder chemical exfoliant. you are unlikely to 'burn' yourself the way you can with retin-a. it's not quite the same thing as retin-a despite the similar name.

AHA, BHA: other chemical exfoliants you can pick up cheaply that are nice for surface texture.

Overall, I think chemical exfoliants are better than frequently scrubbing your skin with something harsh like a clarisonic, especially as we age. You just have to be careful and ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN!

Vitamin-C serum: anti-oxidants, supposed to boost the effects of sunscreen. google "DIY vitamin C serum", or research brands. Probably not a good thing to cheap out on, though, as it can 'expire' and lose efficacy. Right now I'm using Ole Hendrickson's truth serum, but only because I got it free with something from Sephora.

Some retailers that are trustworthy and don't engage in multi-level marketing: Paula's Choice and MUAC (makeup artist's choice). MUAC in particular allows you to buy some interesting skin 'peels', some of which will actually cause you to PEEL, for reasonable prices. They have been around forever and have a very good reputation, but you MUST be willing to research if you're going to tangle with things like their TCA peels. A milder exfoliant to try from them is mandelic acid. They will also recommend you a product based on your issue (acne, rosacea, aging, etc).

Not affiliated with either!

For more expensive retinol (non-prescription) products, I like Avene Eluage.

For cheap AHA, Alpha Hydrox is still my go-to, 25 years later. It's so cheap you can slather it on your feet.

I don't use a Clarisonic anymore, but I like my Foreo Luna Mini.

I've played a bit in the 'high end skin care space', and basically unless the product has a REAL active ingredient (retinol or some other kind of exfoliants), not just some product they made up, you are mostly paying a lot of money for water, moisturizer, and perfume. JMO. You can get a very good skin care regimen going for very cheap.

Oh, and a quick final word on sunscreen: there are two types of sunscreen, physical (your old school stuff that makes your nose white) and newer chemical sunscreens. it's kind of important not to mix types, so make sure you're not also using a foundation with a different type in it.

Right now the rage is imported Korean and Japanese chemical sunscreens, which feel very lightweight on the face and are high SPF but basically invisible. These can be gotten for $10-$12 on Amazon and are from known brands like Shiseido and Biore.

Edited by perditax

Great advice, perditax! I'm going to look into the Korean and Japanese sunscreens based on your recs.

I'm really into skincare also but prefer more "natural" products. I like using a Vitamin-C serum on my face, neck and hands. I've tried a lot of things and I do see a noticeable difference in the texture of my skin when I use it regularly. I use the Mario Badescu Vitamin C serum. I actually use many products in that line and mix and match as needed. The moisturizer I currently use is the AHA & Ceramide one.

I bought Rose Hip Seed Oil based on reviews on Amazon and I love it! It doesn't break me out and has really gone a long way in lessening a small dark spot on my cheek and brightening my skin. It is oily but it absorbs so quickly. Best to use morning and night.

Always exfoliate but depends on skin type how much to do in a week. I do it at least 2-3 times a week, or every 2 days but with a gentle product or risk doing more harm than good. I have combo skin. I use Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel and the Glycolic foaming cleanser. I also like a line I found on Amazon called Skincare Cosmetics Anti-Aging Cream Cleanser. I use them at night with the Clarisonic Brush on occasion. I don't like to use the brush that often but do like to feel I'm getting some use out of that expensive thing!

Edited by trixiegal

Which one do you use?

If you are lucky, your dermatologist can give you a prescription. Catamaran for retired Michigan teachers quit covering it, but you can get it if your Dr. will say you have a condition that requires it, like adult acne.

I've found the ROC brand to be effective and not as harsh as the prescription strength. And, it's not expensive. Consumer Reports rates is highly, as well.

Another vote for Retin-A. Currently using 'Retinol Reface' by Indeed, at Shoppers Drug Mart stores. Under $20.

Perditax, how do you make your own Vitamin C serum? I remember using one from Avon a few years ago and really liked it, but cannot find it lately.

I'm not Perditax, but here's my recipe:

Vit c serum

1/4 tsp l-asorbic

4 tsp distiller water and mix

2 tsp aloe Vera gel

I got my l-asorbic from a company called Making Cosmetics.

The other things from Amazon, plus some bottles with droppers tops. You don't want to make very much because when you make your own, it have a very short shelf life. So it's usually enough for about a week.

This l-asorbic dissolves really well...some don't

Edited by crzndeb

I'm not Perditax, but here's my recipe:

Vit c serum

1/4 tsp l-asorbic

4 tsp distiller water and mix

2 tsp aloe Vera gel

I got my l-asorbic from a company called Making Cosmetics.

The other things from Amazon, plus some bottles with droppers tops. You don't want to make very much because when you make your own, it have a very short shelf life. So it's usually enough for about a week.

This l-asorbic dissolves really well...some don't

Thank you!