Anytime Dining

lmentzer

The only time we have had a wait for ATD of more than 5 minutes was when we had a group of 10. DH and I go at different hours and always get a table for 2. The tables are usually too close together but that is a whole 'nother discussion. I have never understood why someone chooses ATD yet wants the same table same time every night.

I might be a rube, but I thought the point of ATD was to allow you the flexibility to show up when you feel like it. Not to set you up with your own private table, at a time of your choosing. The notion of a standing reservation strikes me as a bit over the top.

I like ATD because I'm not that organized. Who knows when an unanticipated snack might push dinner back an hour?

Also, I find that people are best enjoyed in moderate doses. I don't want to be stuck at a table with "the world's foremost expert" for the duration. It is bad enough that I am forced to eat every meal with me.

That is the policy on most other cruise lines for ATD.....unfortunately Princess has "Anything Goes Dining" which creates problems for those who expect ATD to be ATD.....as usual Princess has policies but does not enforce them which creates un-neccesary stress for its' cruisers..IMHO there should be no reservations and if people need a set time then they should do TD..:cool:

We have done 5 Princess Cruises on 5 different ships and have had ATD on all 5 - Crown, Ruby, Emerald, Caribbean, Royal. Have learned that each ship does things differently. Our best experience was on the Emerald. Our worst was on the Caribbean - they would not take reservations for tables of two (calling each morning) - I asked why not...you do have tables for 2...they said tables for 2 were first come first serve. We are friendly people, we share tables in the buffet for breakfast and lunch, make friends on the ship and mingle but prefer an intimate table for two for dinner, plus I am allergic to certain perfumes which can really ruin dinner. I do wish that Princess was more uniform in how it runs its ATD which would avoid disappointment by passengers, however, I must respect that each MD runs the dining room differently. Knowing ahead what to expect helps. We have never had to wait more than 15 mins for a table for two. Our best experiences have been on ships that had one dining room for TD and 2 dining rooms for ATD.

Our worst was on the Caribbean - they would not take reservations for tables of two (calling each morning) - I asked why not...you do have tables for 2...they said tables for 2 were first come first serve.

You didn't miss much. :) Most of the tables for two on that ship are the banquette variety, where the tables are about 12" apart, all in line. There is not much opportunity for "intimate dining" when you are bumping elbows with the people on either side of you. ;)

As the original poster, let me clarify a bit. First, we prefer traditional dining. It's great to have the same waiters every night. They remember what your drink preferences are and tend to be more friendly when they get to know you a bit. We would have chosen TD but who would have thought booking 6 months before the cruise that it would already be full. Second, we detest standing in lines for more than a few minutes. There are four of us, and don't have a problem sharing a table with another couple. And third, we like to eat fairly early, between 6 and 6:30 which sounds like that's when the wait times are the longest. We'll survive ATD if we can't get TD and can't make reservations, but if it gets to be too big a hassle, I suppose we'll spend some of our dinners in the buffet. That's not the way I'd prefer to dine on a 15 day cruise over the holidays.

Out last trip we had late MDR but my DW was not thrilled with table mates, :rolleyes: so it was not as good for us.

Also, I find that people are best enjoyed in moderate doses. I don't want to be stuck at a table with "the world's foremost expert" for the duration. It is bad enough that I am forced to eat every meal with me.

If you are in Traditional and are not happy with your dining companions, the headwater can usually arrange for you to be seated at a different table.

Steerage Jack --- Unfortunately the headwaiter cannot help you be seated far from yourself.

Just off the Coral. Never made a reservation, so I can't comment on that. Never had a wait for anytime dining beyond a couple of minutes. Ate 4 of the 7 nights in the dining room. Last night was the only night they asked to see my card to make sure we had anytime dining. Always got a table for 2 no problem.

We are sailing on the Coral in 12 days and will have Anytime Dining. We would prefer a table for two. It sounds like you had a good experience. What time did you go to the dining room most nights? We don't mind a short wait but would like to avoid long ones if we can.

Thanks.

We're never had wait/trouble but we

eat late after 7:30-8 pm. Have a better

chance to get a table for two if you want one.

Remember the first night usually the worst, (no matter where you eat)

we go even later that night.

THANK YOU! I was wondering about that.

Will be dining with a former work colleague who's sailing in an Inside Stateroom, we're both travelling solo. I'm in the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite on the Golden Princess, and he's in an Inside Stateroom on Plaza Deck. He actually suggested that we eat together so I won't be bothered by unknown men! He's amazed at the depth of knowledge I've gained through Cruise Critic postings, has joined himself and thoroughly enjoying his reading. Knows that because of physical disabilities, I'm rather OCD when researching, so anything he wants to know, he asks me to look it up as, "You're better at computer research than I am."

If you are in Traditional and are not happy with your dining companions, the headwater can usually arrange for you to be seated at a different table.

Steerage Jack --- Unfortunately the headwaiter cannot help you be seated far from yourself.

True enough. :)

We started out with traditional dining and switched to anytime dining and prefer it. We don't want to feel pressed to get to dinner at a specific time so we just go when we're ready for dinner. If we have to wait, with the "buzzer" that's OK. We just have a drink and relax. Can't recall ever having a problem.

The best bet is to check with the Maitre 'd the first night on his reservation requirements. We do that and have had no problems getting to set at a specific waiter's table.

Each Maître'd sets the policy. We have been on 15 Princess cruises and it seems that the rules are always a little different.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

I've found conflicting info in various reviews here on Cruise Critic concerning reservations for anytime dining. I'll copy three such comments, and can anyone tell me exactly how this might work? Is it just up to the maitre-d?

1st comment: "We had anytime dining and after waiting in line for an hour to see the Maitr'd we were assigned a specific table every night by 5:30, no lines, or waiting for us."

2nd comment: "The Maitre-D' absolutely refused to make reservations and/or honor table requests. He insisted that we had to call each day to make reservations. We tried that several times and were always told there were no reservations available until 7:30 pm unless we were willing to share a table."

3rd comment: "I would recommend calling the restaurant EARLY in the morning to book a table (you can only book ON THE DAY)."

It would be great if we could just establish a set time and set table with the same waiters. We booked our cruise late and were put on a wait list for the early formal dining. Anytime dining sounds great, but not if you have to wait in line for a half hour to an hour to get seated.

When we were on the Island Princess this Feb on a 15-day full transit Panama Canal cruise, we called the dining reservation line for our Anytime Dining to reserve us a time for a table of two at a certain location. To our surprise, it was "full" despite calling early. It turned out that once the dining room reservation was filled to 50% capacity of the dining room, they stopped taking reservation. We were told to talk to the head waiter or MaitreD at the door to make special arrangement. To make a long story short, the head waiter and the hostess made sure our particular table was reserved for us for the rest of the cruise at our specified time. We wanted that particular area because we liked the wait staff who really pampered us the first night.

If you go at 5:30pm without reservation when the dining room opens, there may be a short line but the wait is minimal especially if you don't mind sharing a large table with others. Sometimes there can be a longer wait if you show up at prime dinner time without reservation especially if you want the popular table for two and in certain location. Just remember the head waiter and/or MaitreD can do a lot for you. Don't be afraid to ask.

ATD is so different on Princess then on Carnival if what I have read here is correct. On Carnival we just walked in at 5:30, our chosen dining time, and rarely waited more then 5 minutes. Rarely shared a table. We always chose to go to dinner between 5:30 and 6:00 in the evening because we enjoy the evening entertainment.

This is scary to me. We already have to adjust to a 3 hour time difference. We are going to Alaska and will be in port in the evening so I am hoping we will not be waiting for long times for dinner.

This is scary to me. We already have to adjust to a 3 hour time difference. We are going to Alaska and will be in port in the evening so I am hoping we will not be waiting for long times for dinner.

If it's a problem on any given day, you can always eat in the buffet rather than the dining room.

ATD is so different on Princess then on Carnival if what I have read here is correct. On Carnival we just walked in at 5:30, our chosen dining time, and rarely waited more then 5 minutes. Rarely shared a table. We always chose to go to dinner between 5:30 and 6:00 in the evening because we enjoy the evening entertainment.

ATD on Carnival is the way it is supposed to be and as you know their staff does not let you in if you are not assigned to ATD. On Princess they allow reservations and people who have assigned times in the TDR's can come to ATD. As, a result.....Princess' ATD is in general a mess which does not have to be that way if they operated like Carnival and only let those in who were assigned to ATD...but ANYTHING goes with Princess ATD...so be for warned.....:eek:

If you are in port in the evening, there should be little or no wait. Enough people will be off the ship to keep the lines to a minimum

Relax you will be on a cruise. :)

I was on the Royal Princess for a B2B in Jan 2015. ATD The service was HORRIBLE and I gave the headwaiter Giovanni $50.00 on the first night like I always do for good service. It did not help at all. My only disappointment on the Royal was the ATD service. I am going on the Royal in 2016 but we will be going to TD at 6:00. In 24 cruises with Princess this was the only time this happened.

Tony

I was on the Royal Princess for a B2B in Jan 2015. ATD The service was HORRIBLE and I gave the headwaiter Giovanni $50.00 on the first night like I always do for good service. It did not help at all. My only disappointment on the Royal was the ATD service. I am going on the Royal in 2016 but we will be going to TD at 6:00. In 24 cruises with Princess this was the only time this happened.

Tony

Did you ask for your money back?

We like the dining room too, but on our last cruise we were on B2B and we went to the buffet most of the second week. I have to say, we really enjoyed it for a change. It's a different experience. Faster and quieter and you have to serve yourself, but the food was good and it was a nice peaceful ambiance compared to the craziness in the MDR. Not anything like lunch or breakfast.

Tom

I am sorry but the buffet is for breakfast or lunch. For dinner it is going to the dining room.

Always wondered if you requested traditional dining and for whatever reason we're not able to make your standard table, could you go to the anytime dining restaurant instead for one evening?

Always wondered if you requested traditional dining and for whatever reason we're not able to make your standard table, could you go to the anytime dining restaurant instead for one evening?

A lot of people are going to say it shouldn't be allowed (to go to AT dining room), but here's another idea. Suppose your TD time is early dinner. You could go to late TD. From what I understand, that is never full. Why not head right to your normal table and your waiters may well have an open spot right in their section to take care of you, or perhaps one nearby.

You can also ask your head waiter. I bet you can be accommodated if that idea suits you.

Edited by steelers36