Ridiculous Konningsdam Price Increase Already

Decided to check the current rates for our Konningsdam's cruise and saw that prices went up. Did a mock booking to see what our stateroom would cost today (used one a few doors away) and it's up $749/person. This is insane. Guess if they do one of those Explore 4 packages or some other promotion, we won't get it.

I don't understand the reason to identify it as "ridiculous" and have a little vent session about it.

There's a significant value added package available now so of course the price would be higher. I guarantee if you get a quote for pricing that does not have the Explore 4 package (if they have that option available right now) the pricing will be much more similar to what you yourself booked.

For folks that want less to be charged for onboard Explore 4 is a great way to effectively (and obviously) pay for it in advance. For those that want the best possible price to get them physically on the ship that option is made available as well.

What was the problem exactly? :confused:

It is only insane if people do not book. If HAL finds lots of empty cabins, the prices will go down. We cannot keep saying we are willing to pay more in order to keep a quality product and adequate staffing and then moan when the prices increase. Of course, the prices are going up. Everything (except oil) in my monthly bills is higher. If HAL thinks the market will bear price increases, they are sure to get away from some of the ridiculously low prices we've seen for some cruises/some cabins.

When people say they'd rather pay more, here is the chance to prove it. :)

It is only insane if people do not book. If HAL finds lots of empty cabins, the prices will go down. We cannot keep saying we are willing to pay more in order to keep a quality product and adequate staffing and then moan when the prices increase. Of course, the prices are going up. Everything (except oil) in my monthly bills is higher. If HAL thinks the market will bear price increases, they are sure to get away from some of the ridiculously low prices we've seen for some cruises/some cabins.

When people say they'd rather pay more, here is the chance to prove it. :)

I get your point but not even entirely sure how much it applies in this instance. You're referring more to price increases in general and it's a great point for "last year that cruise was $449 per person. Now it's $499 per person, that's insane!". In this case they are specifically getting something pretty substantial and that would come at a high cost loaded into the higher rate...

Decided to check the current rates for our Konningsdam's cruise and saw that prices went up. Did a mock booking to see what our stateroom would cost today (used one a few doors away) and it's up $749/person. This is insane. Guess if they do one of those Explore 4 packages or some other promotion, we won't get it.

Let me re-phrase what I originally said. Decided to check the current rates for our Konningsdam cruise.

We hadn't expected rates to have increased one month after bookings were released. $749/person seems elevated after a month.

If Explore 4 is offered later, it probably would not be "free" to us. We'd have to pay the different in prices on the staterooms or something to have Explore 4.

That's all. No big deal. Just a statement of surprise by it. That simple, really.

When you study economics in school, one of the first things they teach you is "supply and demand" effects on pricing.

Small supply and high demand equals prices going up.

Big supply and small demand equals prices going down.

For the past century or so, whenever a new cruise ship is introduced, the supply is understandably small, and the demand is understandably high.

Guess what happens?

If Explore 4 is offered later, it probably would not be "free" to us. We'd have to pay the different in prices on the staterooms or something to have Explore 4.

That is exactly what did happen. The 15 April 2016 Greek and Turkish Treasures has both Signature and Neptune suites 'sold out.' We had our SC GTD booked as soon as the sailings came out. For me to add Explore 4 my PCC said the cost would be $800 pp. That is even more than the cost of the Explore 4 components. I said no, as he expected I would. But it can be added without a complete rebooking.

Dennis

That is exactly what did happen. The 15 April 2016 Greek and Turkish Treasures has both Signature and Neptune suites 'sold out.' We had our SC GTD booked as soon as the sailings came out. For me to add Explore 4 my PCC said the cost would be $800 pp. That is even more than the cost of the Explore 4 components. I said no, as he expected I would. But it can be added without a complete rebooking.

Dennis

Why would HAL price a package at more than a pax can buy the items separately. Makes no sense to me unless they think most people are really stupid.

I booked an Alaska trip for May next year for two rooms on July 16th then saw the extras they were giving out and called my ta, she got back to me and said no problem they would give me the freebies but my price went up. Well if you call $200.00 for our room and $40.00 for my daughters room a lot, well when added altogether our freebies came to over $2300.00. I'm a happy camper and won't complain.

Why would HAL price a package at more than a pax can buy the items separately. Makes no sense to me unless they think most people are really stupid.

The thread is about price increases for the Koningsdam cruises. There is some 'price increase' there as well for that class of cabins. So it is not just a pass through of the Explore 4 cost.

Dennis

Perhaps it's because the only way you can go to the Caribbean on Holland America in fall of 2016 or spring of 2017 is on the Koningsdam? At some point, I still imagine that there's a meeting where someone is reporting boffo sales on the new ship. The other ships... Not so much. Maybe they're deeply discounting the other ships due to slow demand, but they're still not selling - because they've not been loaded into inventory. (Don't laugh. This actually happened to some companies in the consumer products and food segments.)

How many days is it for.. If it's for 7 days it's just $107 per night, pp or $214.00 for two in a cabin..

If it's for 5 days it's $149.00 per night p.p. or $298 for two..

What type of cabin are you talking about? Inside, Outside, Balcony?

Approx date/month of departure..

Also what is the itinerary?

How can you expect us to understand if the price is way out of whack without knowing the No. of days, cabin type, time of the year & itinerary..:confused:

As a stockholder, I'm one person who is happy to see that prices are increasing.. There is no way that HAL can survive without increasing prices of insides, outsides, basic balcony cabins & still feed Psgrs 3 or 4 meals per day.. We are still paying 1998 prices per night for our cabins, which to me is completely insane.. i

Edited by serendipity1499

In my personal experience, booking as early as possible is generally the best bet for getting a consistently low price. Our November 2016 booking for the Koningsdam (AS Suite; 10 night SC cruise) has gone up over $900 in less than three weeks and I have no doubt it will climb further. Should they add the Explore4 package at some future point, I doubt that we will stand to gain anything by rebooking. In fact, the only time we've rebooked to gain some new promo perks was when we had initially booked quite a bit later than normal, so the price was already fairly high.

Edited by Fouremco

Perhaps it's because the only way you can go to the Caribbean on Holland America in fall of 2016 or spring of 2017 is on the Koningsdam? At some point, I still imagine that there's a meeting where someone is reporting boffo sales on the new ship. The other ships... Not so much. Maybe they're deeply discounting the other ships due to slow demand, but they're still not selling - because they've not been loaded into inventory. (Don't laugh. This actually happened to some companies in the consumer products and food segments.)

By George, I believe you've got it ;)

We booked our Koningsdam Vista cabin - 10 days - for $1599 last Friday. The next day it was $2099 (pp). We could rebook at the higher price and now get Explore4 package, but at a cost of $500 pp we did not feel it was worth it FOR US. Others might feel differently.

So, in our case the price went up over 30%, but they threw in a nice package to offset it.

I think what the OP was trying to say is that prices have really increased for the new Koningsdam and those prices do NOT include the Explore4.

I expected the new ship to increase in price, that is why I booked the cruise I wanted on the new ship as soon as it was available to book.

I also have the new ship, Harmony of the Seas, booked for Jan. '17 and it was a ridiculously low price with a RCI sale (much lower than Oasis or Allure for the same time frame) and that is why I booked it. We loved both the Oasis & Allure (mainly for the entertainment) and the ships are just beautiful. That being said, this cruise has also raised in price over $600. for the two of us and I expect it to just continue to rise. NEW ships tend to do that!

We are not interested in the Explore4 unless it could be added to our cruise at the same cost (we would not pay more). It's not worth it to us. I'm sure it is to some, for the drinks, but we do not incur bar tabs.

In my personal experience, booking as early as possible is generally the best bet for getting a consistently low price. Our November 2016 booking for the Koningsdam (AS Suite; 10 night SC cruise) has gone up over $900 in less than three weeks and I have no doubt it will climb further. Should they add the Explore4 package at some future point, I doubt that we will stand to gain anything by rebooking. In fact, the only time we've rebooked to gain some new promo perks was when we had initially booked quite a bit later than normal, so the price was already fairly high.

Are you sure some of this price increase doesn't have something to do with the CND nose diving?

Are you sure some of this price increase doesn't have something to do with the CND nose diving?

I'd wondered about that, but the taxes and port fees are exactly the same amount as when we booked, suggesting that HAL hasn't yet changed their exchange rate.

If I understand correctly, this is a cruise for March of 2017. Anything can happen. Prices may even go down. Final payment is not due for many months. It is easy to reserve a cruise, and very popular on a new ship, but when final payment approaches many cabins open up. Who knows...the OP may find the price goes down. I hope that the Konnigsdam will be so fabulous that no one will want to cancel final payments, but you never know.

To the poster who asked why a package is more expensive than various items payed separately...often if you look at a package deal it is the same if not more than if booked separately. We do a lot of travel and always check those "special" package rates. I'm not a fan of them. Some travelers don't mind the added expense to have someone else take care of the details.

I'm sure we will all be watching the Konnigsdam debut. Cherie

I'd wondered about that, but the taxes and port fees are exactly the same amount as when we booked, suggesting that HAL hasn't yet changed their exchange rate.

Actually, no. I noticed the same thing with the exchange rates. HAL changes the pricing, but not the taxes. I thought this strange, but in checking several cruises, I found it was how it was being done.

Isn't that the truth:D? Maybe that's why the rest of the cruises haven't been released. This way they can pat themselves on the back and say how well the ship is selling. It's the only freaking game in town so far:D.