No roll call Grand Princess 8/29/2016

Longhorn-ED

Hello all,

We are looking at booking this cruise because of the Jones act. Celebrity will not allow us to do a B2B and we have always wanted to sail on Princess. When I looked up the roll call on this cruise I saw that there is not one listed. I am concerned that this cruise may be a charter or a very large group. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Ed

Hello all,

We are looking at booking this cruise because of the Jones act. Celebrity will not allow us to do a B2B and we have always wanted to sail on Princess. When I looked up the roll call on this cruise I saw that there is not one listed. I am concerned that this cruise may be a charter or a very large group. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Ed

I have seen other roll calls started late and it was not a charter or group cruise. Still a long ways out. Why not start a roll call?

We are looking at booking this cruise because of the Jones act. Celebrity will not allow us to do a B2B and we have always wanted to sail on Princess. When I looked up the roll call on this cruise I saw that there is not one listed.
No cruise line will allow you to violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act (not the Jones Act unless you are crew); doesn't matter whether it's Celebrity or Princess. Violating this Act is against the law.

If there's no roll call, start one. Easy fix. Sometimes roll calls are active, sometimes they aren't.

Edited by Pam in CA

Hello all,

We are looking at booking this cruise because of the Jones act. Celebrity will not allow us to do a B2B and we have always wanted to sail on Princess. When I looked up the roll call on this cruise I saw that there is not one listed. I am concerned that this cruise may be a charter or a very large group.

Your concern is absolutely unfounded. Cruise Critic does not create Roll Calls per cruise. They provide a mechanism to search the Roll Calls that have been created, and they provide a mechanism to create new Roll Calls. Therefore, the next step is to create one. Go forth and conquer!

Thanks for the responses. I do not mind starting a roll call. My TA will be back in their office on Tuesday and check with Princess for me. Also It is my understanding that Celebrity and Princess are very similar. For example is Princess more or less formal than Celebrity?

Regards

Ed

Also It is my understanding that Celebrity and Princess are very similar. For example is Princess more or less formal than Celebrity?

Regards

Ed

That would be a topic for an entirely different thread and argument.

(if you know what I mean ;) :eek: )

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. I do not mind starting a roll call. My TA will be back in their office on Tuesday and check with Princess for me. Also It is my understanding that Celebrity and Princess are very similar. For example is Princess more or less formal than Celebrity?

Regards

Ed

You are right. Very similar.

Regards

Ed

That would be a topic for an entirely different thread and argument.

(if you know what I mean ;) :eek: )

Yeah. There was a recent thread here asking about comments on other than Princess ships and what the differences and similarities were. There was a lot of useful information given out. There were several posts regarding Celebrity and Princess comparisons. I guess things on the thread must have deteriorated and that there must have been some contentious postings because that thread seems to have been eliminated. :confused:

I would guess the issue is that they wanted to book a B2B on Celebrity but could not due to the Jones Act, so they are booking the other half on Princess instead.

You are correct. We wanted to sail on the Solstice 9/2/2016 and do a B2B to save on travel cost. I was told that the Jones act would not allow us to do it. We have only been on two cruises, both on Celebrity and loved it. I have read many good things about Princess and don't really understand the Jones act so we are eager to try Princess.

Regards

Ed

I ... don't really understand the Jones act so we are eager to try Princess.

Basically, the Jones Act says you cannot get on a ship in one USA city and end up disembarking in a different USA city unless the ship makes a stop at a distant foreign port.

Vancouver is not a distant foreign port. Tahiti is.

Basically, the Jones Act says you cannot get on a ship in one USA city and end up disembarking in a different USA city unless the ship makes a stop at a distant foreign port.

Vancouver is not a distant foreign port. Tahiti is.

Thank you for your responding. I really don't understand what the purpose of the law is. It's an inconvenience an extra cost to cruise passengers.

Regards

Ed

The Jones Act has nothing to do with passengers. You're all talking about the Passenger Vessel Services act (PVSA). Pam tried to gently let everyone know.

Here's a link which explains all this: http://www.maritimelawcenter.com/html/the_jones_act.html

----------------------

Now, if the stars align correctly, maybe OP can switch ships in Vancouver. That doesn't violate the PVSA.

Edited by beg3yrs

Hello all,

Regards

Ed

Is this cruise not stopping in a foreign port? Sorry I'm slow to follow.

Is this cruise not stopping in a foreign port? Sorry I'm slow to follow.

We are sailing on Celebrity on 9/9-19/2016 from Vancouver to Hawaii. I tried to book our ship the Solstice on an Alaska cruise 9/2-9/2016. It would be a B2B and save us on travel cost but Celebrity said can't do because of the Jones act. So I found this very nice cruise on Princess.

Regards

Ed