Taking food off the ship

On debarkation day I will eat breakfast while waiting for my deck to be called. I will then go to the Harbor Air port and board a floatplane for a flight to Victoria. There is only time for a small lunch after check-in at the Empress Hotel before I go to an art museum because it closes at 5:00. So instead of buying food at the hotel, Mom wants to take buffet food off the ship in Vancouver. Is this OK or do ship crew tell passengers to keep their food onboard?

I remember a few years back when we were on a cruise ship ?NCL that we we told not to take any food off the ship into Canada and that we would be fined-and were given Dan example,, $50.00 for an apple). We didn't take anything off the ship but had to pass thru customs as usual and I asked the inspector if we'd be funded $50 per apple and he laughed and said "no."

They do that on every cruise we've been on and you can imagine how many cases of apples that would be and the loss of money if 2,000 plus passengers each took an apple off the ship?

We just have a good breakfast and disembark and usually the meal will last us until that afternoon and by that time we're usually at a hotel.

It is not a good idea to remove food from the ship when one disembarks. In many ports, it is illegal. In many ports, the food will be confiscated. And, the one doing so will get to pay a nice sized fine, if not being invited to spend a bit of time in custody.

When one travels responsibly, one has an obligation to know what the Customs/Immigration requirements are for wherever one is going. "I did not know" is not the proper answer for a Customs/Immigration agent.

May you try to violate the rules? Sure. But, be aware of the risk you are taking.

On debarkation day I will eat breakfast while waiting for my deck to be called. I will then go to the Harbor Air port and board a floatplane for a flight to Victoria. There is only time for a small lunch after check-in at the Empress Hotel before I go to an art museum because it closes at 5:00. So instead of buying food at the hotel, Mom wants to take buffet food off the ship in Vancouver. Is this OK or do ship crew tell passengers to keep their food onboard?

There's a cafe/deli kind of place on the main floor of the Pan Pacific Hotel and you can access it via elevator from the cruise terminal, if you can spare a few minutes. You could even leave your mom in the terminal with the luggage, and grab something from there before you get your cab to the floatplane.

I live in Oregon. Every time I cross the border into Canada, or California for that matter :), the questions seem to be different. One time it's weapons or wine, another it's apples or citrus fruit. I've had to surrender apples and other fresh food at the Canadian border in the past. I believe that HAL (and other lines) are respecting the rules for each country.

There's a cafe/deli kind of place on the main floor of the Pan Pacific Hotel and you can access it via elevator from the cruise terminal, if you can spare a few minutes. You could even leave your mom in the terminal with the luggage, and grab something from there before you get your cab to the floatplane.

Excellent recommendation. :)Also, if your tastes run that way and you want something quickly, there's a Starbucks at street level by the cruise port entrance/exit.

Excellent recommendation. :)Also, if your tastes run that way and you want something quickly, there's a Starbucks at street level by the cruise port entrance/exit.

Just remembered: there is a good sized food court under the street between the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront that has lots of options, including a Tim Horton's.

PLEASE don't do this. Apparently you have no idea how devastating one hitch-hiking bug or microbe can be to agriculture.

PLEASE don't do this. Apparently you have no idea how devastating one hitch-hiking bug or microbe can be to agriculture.

So true! I know people say "But it's only one apple/peach/whatever." If it's carrying something, it can spread a plant disease quickly.

I live in Oregon. Every time I cross the border into Canada, or California for that matter :), the questions seem to be different. One time it's weapons or wine, another it's apples or citrus fruit. I've had to surrender apples and other fresh food at the Canadian border in the past. I believe that HAL (and other lines) are respecting the rules for each country.

Wife and I will never forget the time we were camping in Maine and decided to go to Campobello Island to see Roosevelt's house there. Duh, Campobello is in Canada and how did we know that it MUST have a large citrus industry (not) since we had to eat or throw away our oranges before we could enter the island.

Citrus on a Canadian island is a problem for their agriculture we concluded.................hmmmm.

Wife and I will never forget the time we were camping in Maine and decided to go to Campobello Island to see Roosevelt's house there. Duh, Campobello is in Canada and how did we know that it MUST have a large citrus industry (not) since we had to eat or throw away our oranges before we could enter the island.

Citrus on a Canadian island is a problem for their agriculture we concluded.................hmmmm.

Both the US and Canada have quite similar restrictions on what foods can be brought into the country. Why would you mock Canadian regulations?

I'm actually surprised that the citrus was a problem but agricultural concerns are bigger on islands than the mainland. We usually allow citrus into the country but definitely not apples, potatoes, etc representing crops we grow. As with US agriculture, disease and pests are a huge issue.

What hmmmm? Have you seen the list of food items that cannot be taken into the US?:D

One is NOT to take food off the Ship--so I have heard from no less and authority than the Cruise Director and I heard the announcement on my current cruise.

What hmmmm? Have you seen the list of food items that cannot be taken into the US?:D

If you're going to be logical.... ;)

OP, besides the fact that many countries forbid the casual import of some foods, the ship is only responsible for serving you breakfast the last morning. Any future meals are your responsibility.

Just remembered: there is a good sized food court under the street between the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront that has lots of options, including a Tim Horton's.

Those are good ideas if we have time before catching the floatplane. Takeoff is at 10:20. How long is it likely to take us to debark the ship?

Those are good ideas if we have time before catching the floatplane. Takeoff is at 10:20. How long is it likely to take us to debark the ship?

We arrived at 7am. First passengers off at 7:10... Last off at 9:10. No line for customs immigration - no one wanted to see our passports

We arrived at 7am. First passengers off at 7:10... Last off at 9:10. No line for customs immigration - no one wanted to see our passports

But your fruit... Did they want to see your fruit?