not dropping prices-right!!!

With recent cuts and price hikes, arrogant statements from Mr. Fain, I've decided to no longer support this line until it's under new management.

I think that in theory, less price slashing is good, but he did present it awkwardly.

I think his presentation should have been more like, 'we have made pricing mistakes in the past, and we want to go forth with better initial pricing so that we won't have to slash prices later'.

He didn't want to take any of the blame.

Grandeur is cancelled, I just haven't changed my signature. Fain is the CEO for Royal Caribbean, Bayley is the CEO for Celebrity. I don't see the same changes happening on the Celebrity end yet: not the degree of fare increase, beverage prices, staff cuts, nor do they have new ships with 50% positive reviews.

I don't believe in punishing Olive Garden because I don't like how Red Lobster is being ran.

You have to read these recent Anthem reviews to believe them! I realize that has little to do with Grandeur, other than cut staff in the Windjammer, but I choose to vote with my dollars with other cruise lines.

Fain is Chairman, CEO and Director of RCCL the mother Company owning the different lines including RCI and Celebrity.

Bayley is President and CEO of the cruise line RCI. He used to be on the Celebrity side, but has switched to RCI quite a few month ago.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

I think that RCI will try to do this as long as they can. But time will tell if people actually start booking elsewhere over the high prices that RCI seems to want to force on us.

If the games they are being accused of playing are true, I hope it backfires on them and hurts them to the point where they have to change what they are doing.

With the BOGO-this and BOGO-that sales coming and going, it's almost impossible to compare anymore. I can't get too caught up in it all -- If I see a ship and itinerary that I like, at a time I can go and at a price I feels provides value --- I book it. Doesn't mean I don't check for an occasional price drop -- which seems to happen very infrequently on my cruises.

Also, a full ship doesn't mean it's the most profitable -- and that is what senior management's job is.

mac_tlc

Fain can posture all he likes. CCL and NCL will gladly fill their cabins with the folks that would've otherwise been on a ship "of the Seas". Empty cabins don't make money. Even if the company only breaks even on the fare by dropping prices to fill the ship, many of those last minute guests would have likely gambled, bought bar drinks, ate at Chops or taken excursions.

I think they'll continue puffing their chests, and displaying their plumage like proud peacocks for a while. After saving some face, the notion will eventually fade away.

As they continue to nickle and dime their customers, and raising their price, RCI and possibly NCL and Carnival should look out for MSC, the new kid on the block.

I just booked a Med Cruise with them. $971 tax in for an inside cabin for 4. And they are also throwing in another $100 OBC. Depending on the result of their Loyalty Match program, I may qualify for another 5% off plus an additional $50 OBC.

When MSC launch the MSC Seaside in 2017, and if it keeps the same pricing model as how they price the Divina, I can see it could give the existing players a really good run for their money.

As they continue to nickle and dime their customers, and raising their price, RCI and possibly NCL and Carnival should look out for MSC, the new kid on the block.

I just booked a Med Cruise with them. $971 tax in for an inside cabin for 4. And they are also throwing in another $100 OBC. Depending on the result of their Loyalty Match program, I may qualify for another 5% off plus an additional $50 OBC.

When MSC launch the MSC Seaside in 2017, and if it keeps the same pricing model as how they price the Divina, I can see it could give the existing players a really good run for their money.

$971 for 4 people for a week :eek:

Do you think that kind of pricing is sustainable :what:

$971 for 4 people for a week :eek:

Do you think that kind of pricing is sustainable :what:

Yes, it is a 7 day cruise.

Though, port charges was only $33.70 per person for the Med cruise instead of $108.98 for E. Caribbean. So for 4 people, you're talking about approximately $290 worth of difference already.

I suppose MSC is generating enough from their cargo business to "buy" market share for their passenger business.

Nevertheless, it is nice for the cruise lines to come out and say they will not discount their product. But the reality is pricing is dependent on supplies and demands. With Harmony, NCL Escape, MSC Seaside coming online and Epic going back to Florida Will demand for cruise matches the increase in supplies by 2017? We will just have to watch and see.

Grandeur is cancelled, I just haven't changed my signature. Fain is the CEO for Royal Caribbean, Bayley is the CEO for Celebrity. I don't see the same changes happening on the Celebrity end yet: not the degree of fare increase, beverage prices, staff cuts, nor do they have new ships with 50% positive reviews.

I don't believe in punishing Olive Garden because I don't like how Red Lobster is being ran.

You have to read these recent Anthem reviews to believe them! I realize that has little to do with Grandeur, other than cut staff in the Windjammer, but I choose to vote with my dollars with other cruise lines.

Get the proper facts about Fain as he's the head of the entire company, which includes RCL, Celebrity, Azamara, etc. So cancel your Summit cruise so that you don't put a cent in Fain's pocket.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm flabbergasted that anyone would be upset that prices were lowered. I think it's great. :D:D

I agree with you. Lowered or raised, its you who have the choice. Deals are still available. If you put in the time to look you can find them. They are available on cruises way out and also some within a few months of sailing in some instances. We have 5 on the books and we always book balcony or above. Of our last 10 cruises, including the 5 booked, I have not paid more than $90pp per night for a balcony and that includes an aft on Brilliance in 2016. We have also found JS on a couple sailings for under $120pp per night on Vision & Enchantment.

Those are great deals IMO. If you don't like the prices RCI is charging, look elsewhere. There are plenty of other options available and those options are only going to increase in the next few years as new ships arrive and as other lines move ships back to Florida ports to take advantage of an increase in Caribbean bookings. Carnival is bringing bigger and newer ships to replace smaller and outdated ones. Norwegian is bringing the Jade to Tampa in November 2016. Celebrity has new ships coming out as does Carnival, Virgin Cruises, etc. We will always keep our options open but until I can no longer find a deal on RCI or the prices go outside my comfort zone, there is no reason for us to change.

Edited by cruisingsince94

Paid attention to the new Go Big, Better, Best pricing? It's laughable what they are calling a deal, especially for long cruises. I'm glad my South America cruise is locked in, I would never book it now for what they are charging for the same perks.

Paid attention to the new Go Big, Better, Best pricing? It's laughable what they are calling a deal, especially for long cruises. I'm glad my South America cruise is locked in, I would never book it now for what they are charging for the same perks.

Now the airlines are getting into the act. Jet Blue just started some sort of tiered pricing structure as well. You get three price choices that come with different benefits. YIKES!!!:eek:

Now the airlines are getting into the act. Jet Blue just started some sort of tiered pricing structure as well. You get three price choices that come with different benefits. YIKES!!!:eek:

Delta did that a few months ago, maybe first of the year. Cheapest fair does not select a cabin. Can cruise lines be far off. The humps and afts would be preferred. :D

JetBlue, also started charging for the first bag in the lower price tier. They blame this on pressure from Wall St.

Get the proper facts about Fain as he's the head of the entire company, which includes RCL, Celebrity, Azamara, etc. So cancel your Summit cruise so that you don't put a cent in Fain's pocket.

Got the facts, isn't that what blogging on CC with each other is all about? As far as the command to cancel, declined. ;)

Oh absolutely, Celebrity is following RCL's lead with pricing games. Royal used the early BOGOHO sale, Celebrity the 123GO, to fill up a high volume of cabins on the cheap, only to inflate the remaining stock. Unless they release all new sailings artificially low, I don't know that this strategy is going to work a couple years from now. If they are "reeducating the customer", it's not going to work on the bulk of people who booked under an actual deal.

As to why I'm keeping the Summit:

1. The Celebrity product itself is being changed more subtly.

2. I got an excellent deal on a CC Veranda with perks!

3. No one else offers a similar itinerary.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

From what I read it wasn't a hard rule so you may see drops on the balcony too. Are they more expensive now than when you booked?

OMG -we booked this when the BOGOHO first came out and got our OV for a screaming great deal. I was smart - when the BOGOHO first came out I booked a boatload of cruises b/c the prices were so great. Since they all they have done is gone up up up and more up. So glad I booked what I did and got some amazing deals.

Then they called me last week and offered us a balcony for $90 total. So our balcony total price is less than the cheapest inside cabin is currently going for.

Still have staterooms for 8/28. I count as 148 rooms.

There are a ton of cabins left

I am not saying the prices now are good - I think they are crazy expensive

I am just saying they have gone down in the last couple days.

If I would not have gotten this cruise at such a great price many moons ago there is no way I would pay the price they are currently asking. I would not go before I would pay the price they are charging now.

OMG -we booked this when the BOGOHO first came out and got our OV for a screaming great deal. I was smart - when the BOGOHO first came out I booked a boatload of cruises b/c the prices were so great. Since they all they have done is gone up up up and more up. So glad I booked what I did and got some amazing deals.

Then they called me last week and offered us a balcony for $90 total. So our balcony total price is less than the cheapest inside cabin is currently going for.

Ah yes.....May 1st 2014

I repriced six cruises that day and saved thousands.

A REAL BOGOHO!!

Ah yes.....May 1st 2014

I repriced six cruises that day and saved thousands.

A REAL BOGOHO!!

Agreed. I booked like 7 or 8 cruises when it first came out. Now all of them are SO much higher than I paid. I don't really watch prices on them b/c I know there is no way they will go below what I paid before final. I got too good a deal on them. and with prices now, no way even if they drop prices will it go below what I paid.

Our Oct 9th Majesty cruise SOV is almost $100 pp over what we paid.

The 8/28 Enchantment is almost double what we paid.

Brilliance in Nov is $536 pp more than I originally paid for it!!!

So like you, saved boatloads by booking when it first came out

Now we look at Celebrity and Princess also - especially with the bev pkg included. Our Dec cruise on Silhouette we got for a fantastic deal $749pp for a balcony, plus $275 OBC and a free bev pkg. Royal could not even come close

For Dec 2016, with the OBC we got from Princess, we actually saved $100 over Celebrity and also get the bev pkg

Jan we are taking our first NCL Sky. Price when I booked was $10 more pp than Majesty and includes the bev pkg

Even if you are not a big drinker, having the pkg is a huge savings - for us it is anyway.

I have an inside cabin on the Freedom in two weeks. It cost me $1300 when I paid for it a month ago. Yesterday that same cabin came up for $900 for Sept. 20, so my husband and I are going again in Sept., booking a cabin for each of us (he snores!). I'm going alone this month. I couldn't pass up that price - under $2,000 for a seven day cruise for two - and two cabins! The prices DO drop.

Yesterday we booked B2B cruises on Freedom for October after seeing a post here on CC earlier this week that there was great senior prices being offered for these cruises. We and our two friends got Cat. L inside cabins for each cruise for just over $500USD per person including taxes, port fees and pre-paid gratuities so the total all in price is about $1000 for each couple in their own cabin for each cruise. Granted there was also a C&A discount included in our pricing and we aren't getting any bonuses like a drink package, which we don't need nor want or OBC. Final payment date was earlier this week for the first cruise and the beginning of next week for the second one which is typical of when we book our cruises.

Since RCI announced they weren't going to discount their cruise close to the sailing we were about to book a 10 night southern Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess for the same time frame. We had received a good stand by deal for that cruise and we thought it would be nice to try out the newest and largest class of Princess ships.

Even though we have D+ status on RCI we've never been on any class of ship larger than Voyager so this will be an new experience for us and we preferred the four extra nights and ports Freedom cruises gives us.

So much for RCI not discounting close to the sailing.

IMO they are hoping because of this announcement to book up their sailing early so discounting won't be necessary. We've decided to look at other vacation options if necessary.

I can't see RCI sailing with empty cabins for long as you don't have as many passengers paying gratuities, covering ship and port expenses and making onboard purchases with this policy.

Edited by robtulipe