Must haves for long cruises.

Duffysmom

I have both an iPad and a kindle paperwhite. The paperwhite I can read in the bright sunlight, and it is a 3g Whispernet one so when in ports that have sprint cell service I can download new books. The iPad will come as full as possible with new books and a few old favorites. I will probably also bring some paperback books for times when I don't want to risk the technology. Those books will get put on the shelf in the library for bring a book, take a book.

I load up my iPad2 before we leave, too. I also rent several movies on Amazon and download them. I love Amazon's policy that your rental period doesn't start until you actually watch the movie. This way I can download just before I leave, and then take 30 - 45 days to start watching.

I find that the white text on black background also is very easy to read with the brightness controls dimmed. It really saves on the battery, but I can read for hours.

Oh, I forgot. I also take my external battery power with me on long cruises. I charge it up, then I've got another 4 hours of juice for my iPad if needed.

Edited by pcur

In preparing for a long cruise:

o Post office will usually not hold mail for more than 30 days. Either make special arrangements with the post office or arrange for someone to empty your mailbox for you.

o Arrange for a relative or neighbor to look at your home periodically, preferably daily. You do not want a plumbing leak or other problem to go unnoticed until you return.

o Take with you all the web addresses and banking information you need for paying bills that will arrive while you are away. If you can afford to prepay some utilities, do so before you go.

o Check ahead for special things that have to be taken care of before you return. Examples include expiring driver license, renewal of car registration, car and home insurance, etc. Also any credit cards that are set to expire during your voyage.

o If cruising over April 15 (and a USA resident), be sure your income tax return is taken care of before the cruise.

o If cruising in winter, arrange for someone to take any precautions for you to protect water pipes if the temperature will dip below freezing.

o The same as for short cruises, make sure the credit card companies will be notified of your travel plans.

In the laundry I throw in a sheet of "colour catcher" so I can throw in a load of everything together. I'd rather do one load than maybe have to wait for a second machine to be free for my coloured wash!

I agree! These are life savers (or should I say laundry savers)!

o Post office will usually not hold mail for more than 30 days. Either make special arrangements with the post office or arrange for someone to empty your mailbox for you.

o Arrange for a relative or neighbor to look at your home periodically, preferably daily. You do not want a plumbing leak or other problem to go unnoticed until you return.

o Take with you all the web addresses and banking information you need for paying bills that will arrive while you are away. If you can afford to prepay some utilities, do so before you go.

o Check ahead for special things that have to be taken care of before you return. Examples include expiring driver license, renewal of car registration, car and home insurance, etc. Also any credit cards that are set to expire during your voyage.

o If cruising over April 15 (and a USA resident), be sure your income tax return is taken care of before the cruise.

o If cruising in winter, arrange for someone to take any precautions for you to protect water pipes if the temperature will dip below freezing.

o The same as for short cruises, make sure the credit card companies will be notified of your travel plans.

This is all so smart. When I did the Disney Panama Canal cruise, I told my neighbors I'd be gone (with my mom and dad watching my critters at their house; and my sis coming over to check on my house daily) and gave them the numbers to my parents and sister. I said they could use my trash can on trash day (which made it look like I was there.). What was nice was I had a sign on my front door that said "nurse sleeping" and my neighbors had put that up at various times. They really helped me.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I have automatic timers on lamps in our living room and in our office. These are rooms that have street-facing windows. They go on at staggered times in the evening (every day), and automatically turn off late in the evening. It gives the appearance of someone being in the house. We use energy-smart bulbs in the lamps.

I have all my bills either automatically deducted from my checking account by the biller, or set up on e-bills in my online banking. This way all my bills can be paid no matter where I am.

If we are gone more than 30 days, we drop a large basket off with our next door neighbor with our mailbox key, and every time they go to get their mail, they get ours and dump everything in the basket, junk mail and all.

We have installed a wifi-controllable thermostat, wifi webcams for security and wifi lightbulbs so that we can monitor and control things at home even while on a ship. Consumer Reports had an excellent issue on the wifi controlled house in the past few months.

The webcams send DH a notification anytime movement is detected. We are usually notified in advance if someone will be in the house, but last year we were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean en route to Nuku Hiva having Pub Lunch when my husband received a warning on his phone that the front door had been legally (using the keypad) entered. He was able to use Vonage to phone our friend who laughed that she had barely made it back to her own home when he called. She had swapped the Thanksgiving wreath on the front porch for a Christmas wreath and walked into the foyer to do that.

We can keep the thermostat set quite low but if the forecast calls for ice or extended cold we'll bump it up 5 or 10 degrees for a few days in case we lose power.

We shut all the water to the house completely off (if we traveled in the summer we'd have to leave the sprinkler system on which would prevent doing this completely), but we just saw a wifi alertable water detecter which might be helpful if we travel in the summer.

I wanted wifi controllable window shades to really make the house look lives in but they are very pricey and not well reviewed.

We do have friends checking on things and have a handyman on call in the event something comes up. One of the last things DH does is change the batteries in things like the front door keypad and smoke detectors. We can give the code to people who might need it but then change it when we return home which is more secure than a key.

As for license renewals, we are leaving early this year and I have a window of three days where I can renew my license in person before we do. However, for a small extra charge we can renew online.

To set this all up the first time took quite a bit of planning but if it's something that is done repeatedly it will becomes much simpler.

One thing that can't be planned for is if one of your credit cards is breached while you are away and you are sent a new one. This happened to us with our credit card that is used for our auto charged bills (cable, cellular, insurance). The credit card company's security was breached and they mailed out new cards. Nothing has ever given us as much trouble as this did. We had to ask our friend to watch for the envelope that might contain the new cards. We then had to call her over the Internet to get the new numbers and security code. We then had to figure out how to activate the card when an 800 number didn't work and we weren't calling from our usual phone number (so we weren't automatically recognized). And finally we had to go into multiple websites to change the credit card number that was auto charged. That was a huge, unexpected headache but we finally got it all pulled together.

One thing that can't be planned for is if one of your credit cards is breached while you are away and you are sent a new one. This happened to us with our credit card that is used for our auto charged bills (cable, cellular, insurance). The credit card company's security was breached and they mailed out new cards. Nothing has ever given us as much trouble as this did. We had to ask our friend to watch for the envelope that might contain the new cards. We then had to call her over the Internet to get the new numbers and security code. We then had to figure out how to activate the card when an 800 number didn't work and we weren't calling from our usual phone number (so we weren't automatically recognized). And finally we had to go into multiple websites to change the credit card number that was auto charged. That was a huge, unexpected headache but we finally got it all pulled together.

What puzzles me about this is most banks will automatically send the new charges to your new account, especially if you alert them to the names of the billers.

We have had our credit card compromised so many times while traveling that we always take a second one. We got through our extensive travel this year without it happening. What I did about 3 years ago is set up alerts to notify me whenever our card is used for a charge over $1. It's a joke with my husband, because we won't get out the door of a restaurant before the alert is buzzing on my phone!

Which reminds me: I also notify all my credit card banks that we are traveling, and put a travel alert on my checking account, too.

What puzzles me about this is most banks will automatically send the new charges to your new account, especially if you alert them to the names of the billers.

It's a joke with my husband, because we won't get out the door of a restaurant before the alert is buzzing on my phone!

Which reminds me: I also notify all my credit card banks that we are traveling, and put a travel alert on my checking account, too.

In our case, it happened very early (like Day 2) in our cruise when we would be away from home for 106 days. The credit card company said they would automatically forward charges for 60 days, which wouldn't have been adequate.

We have our credit cards set up to notify us of any charge. It's quite comical to still be standing at the register finishing up and my phone dings. (Of course, credits take days). And we also take two different cards with us when we travel (thankfully, we've never had an issue with theft or illegal usage).

We did not notify our bank about using our ATM card outside the country last year and had no issues. This year, I happened to mention it to the teller and she entered something in the system about the fact that we'd be using it outside the country, which I hope gives us no trouble. There's really no way to check that out ahead of time.

As for ATM cards, we always take two. I had my (only) card gobbled up by an ATM at the Gard de Nord one Sunday morning and there was no getting that one back. I had to get a cash advance on my credit card and pay the interest on that to survive the trip.

We never used to notify the CC companies about leaving the country.

Never had an issue in 30 plus years of traveling.

So we tried the first time 2 years ago. The first place we used the Amex was in Italy to purchase train tickets. They declined the charge and shut down the card. I was livid. Rather then attempt to resolve the issue while traveling we put the card away and dealt with it when we returned.......

I fought with Amex corporate office for a couple of weeks on this.

So after that we no longer notify anyone. It works fine and have not had an issue since and we use the cards extensively all over the world.

In our case, it happened very early (like Day 2) in our cruise when we would be away from home for 106 days. The credit card company said they would automatically forward charges for 60 days, which wouldn't have been adequate.

We have our credit cards set up to notify us of any charge. It's quite comical to still be standing at the register finishing up and my phone dings. (Of course, credits take days). And we also take two different cards with us when we travel (thankfully, we've never had an issue with theft or illegal usage).

We did not notify our bank about using our ATM card outside the country last year and had no issues. This year, I happened to mention it to the teller and she entered something in the system about the fact that we'd be using it outside the country, which I hope gives us no trouble. There's really no way to check that out ahead of time.

As for ATM cards, we always take two. I had my (only) card gobbled up by an ATM at the Gard de Nord one Sunday morning and there was no getting that one back. I had to get a cash advance on my credit card and pay the interest on that to survive the trip.

Makes a lot of sense. I forgot they only forward the charges for 60 days.

As far as cash is concerned, I transfer money to our Schwab savings account, and use that ATM card until the money is gone. They reimburse for any fees, so it's convenient. If we run out, then I use our regular checking account. I let both banks know where we are traveling, including the two credit cards we take.

We never used to notify the CC companies about leaving the country.

Never had an issue in 30 plus years of traveling.

So we tried the first time 2 years ago. The first place we used the Amex was in Italy to purchase train tickets. They declined the charge and shut down the card. I was livid. Rather then attempt to resolve the issue while traveling we put the card away and dealt with it when we returned.......

I fought with Amex corporate office for a couple of weeks on this.

So after that we no longer notify anyone. It works fine and have not had an issue since and we use the cards extensively all over the world.

I've heard bad things about using Amex in Europe. I use two Chase cards, and do the travel alerts online. The problem I had was the card number being stolen 3 times over a period of 10 years when traveling. But, with the alerts I know about it as soon as I check my email (which I do daily no matter where I am). The last time it happened was in St. John last November, and I called the bank before they even noticed anything was wrong.

I've heard bad things about using Amex in Europe. I use two Chase cards, and do the travel alerts online. The problem I had was the card number being stolen 3 times over a period of 10 years when traveling. But, with the alerts I know about it as soon as I check my email (which I do daily no matter where I am). The last time it happened was in St. John last November, and I called the bank before they even noticed anything was wrong.

I have had my Amex for 30 plus years.. The only reason why I have had it for the last 15 years or so is because of Costco. With Costco dumping Amex next year I will dump them too.

My other main card is a Chase United Club Card which is excellent when traveling. ;)

I have had my Amex for 30 plus years.. The only reason why I have had it for the last 15 years or so is because of Costco. With Costco dumping Amex next year I will dump them too.

My other main card is a Chase United Club Card which is excellent when traveling. ;)

Costco is also the only reason I have an Amex card. I will dump it when Costco dumps it. Oddly enough I use my Discover card for almost everything and I originally got it because, at that time, it was the only card Costco accepted. :)

BTW: Discover does not charge any foreign transaction fees. Most cards charge a 3% fee but not Discover.

Costco is also the only reason I have an Amex card. I will dump it when Costco dumps it. Oddly enough I use my Discover card for almost everything and I originally got it because, at that time, it was the only card Costco accepted. :)

BTW: Discover does not charge any foreign transaction fees. Most cards charge a 3% fee but not Discover.

The Chase United Mileage Plus card doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. We each have a card, and we charge everything to the cards. We earned free tickets to London for our cruise last year and also for our cruise next week.

One day I hope to take a mega cruise. I have two suggestions from taking longer land vacations.

My library is hooked into Zinio which is a portal for periodicals (magazines and newspapers). I load many of my favorites on to my tablet . Frankly I prefer reading articles rather then entire books when on vacation. Check to see if your local library is connected to Zinio.

Secondly DW and I each have two separate credit cards . We doubt that all 4 will ever be breached at the same time.

The must haves we bring are

Hubs brings a small 8 shaft loom and an extra suitcase of weaving fiber.

Would that be the foldable loom?
Wow! A loom is not something that I would have thought of . Edited by richstowe

DH talked to our mail carrier about having our mail held for more than 30 days. She said that if we go to the post office to pick the held mail up they will keep it longer. Since that's what dh normally does, we're all set for our trip next week.

Hi All, we are taking a 28 day cruise on the Crown to Hawaii and the South Pacific, the longest cruise we've ever taken. An earlier post talked about taking a DVD player and some cables, etc. and that got me thinking about what special items experienced cruisers take with them on such a long cruise. What are some of your must haves when away from home for so long and what helps to makes living in such a small space comfortable? Thank you, we're beyond excited.

Lots of great info on the Roll Call for the Crown trip to Hawaii and the South Pacific.

As a lot of people have said, money, books, for the cruise, most other things we need more of we will buy on the trip. Leaving things at home takes a lot more organising, which is where having direct debits for bills and having a house sitter to look after the house and car, etc.:D

We have had our credit card compromised so many times while traveling that we always take a second one. We got through our extensive travel this year without it happening. What I did about 3 years ago is set up alerts to notify me whenever our card is used for a charge over $1. It's a joke with my husband, because we won't get out the door of a restaurant before the alert is buzzing on my phone!

We use LifeLock for this protection and notification as well as notifying the credit card company and bank when we are going to be gone.

I also make out a "Friends & Family" letter with a complete itinerary and contact numbers for the ship, etc. Fortunately we are in a gated community and we have next door neighbors that watch the house and manage to hit my Bourbon cabinet while we are gone.

A multiple outlet plug. Not necessarily a power strip, just a plug with 3 or so outlets on it.

Extra batteries.

On my past 3 cruises I bring along my electric alarm clock with the digital display, a nice touch from home, and you don't have to figure out how to work the alarm on the clock in the room.

A night light.

Small bills for tipping. A lot of them, 5s and 10s, plus many of the port establishments don't take credit cards or large bills.

Lot's of pens and note-pads and personal cards to pass out to the folks you meet.

A cork-screw/bottle opener, just in case.

A diary sort of book to keep track of daily things you have done.

Address book.

A large break proof drinking mug/cup. Maybe a smaller one too.

For the smokers, a pocket sized/purse sized ash tray. Lots of smokes too.

Cords for charging things.

Finally a reference to a diary. We have been doing this for years keeping track of daily activities and expenses and this really comes in handy when you have to think back to a particular voyage or port of call and what you did. Also make references to what was really good and not so good so recommendations can be made as to how it can be fixed.

We also make a spreadsheet before leaving that has formulas for automatically filling in the clothing needs based upon whether is a travel day, port day, sea day, etc. and frequency of usage. Another workbook sheet is made up of what ships are in port each day and number of passengers. Yet another workbook sheet is set up to calculate the expenses for each day again based upon the type of day it is and if excursions are planned. Another sheet for calculating cash needed and then there is the TTD before leaving with calculations as to when these needed to be done before you walk out the door. I know, I had much too much time on my hands - because there are other sheets as well.