Thinking 3 in interior room was a mistake!

twinkle toes

Wow, after reading thru a bunch of posts about 3 people to an inner room, I am starting to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. My DH, myself and one of our daughters (22) are booked for 15 day Hawaii in November. We have never been in an interior room before, but figured that we would save some money this time since we are visiting France next year. I'm starting to think that the money saved may not be worth the cramped quarters and the flimsy mattress on the upper. Any thoughts?

I travel solo and have only had an interior room once - and would never, ever do it again :eek:

Claustrophobic and cramped :(

Just my personal opinion of course, but I could not conceive of being in such close confines with 3 people

...I would rather stay at home

Have done it twice without any problems, and would do it again. Whoops, sorry one of those times was in an ov cabin. But we truly had no problem with the inside. We dont spend hours at a time in our cabin, except for sleeping, but we would have another inside. Did not notice that the OV was much larger.

Edited by stoneharborlady

Never travelled 3 to an interior but have always used interiors and no complaint. Money saved was put to other uses - great excursions and future cruises! Suspect you will find it a touch close for 3 adults but you won't be spending much time in the room anyway!

Only booked an interior once because it was actually cheaper to book 2 interior rooms for 4 than one interior room for 4. Had something to do with a promotion at the time. We found it claustrophobic with 2 people and couldn't imagine how it would be with 2 extra beds hanging off of the walls. This was only a 7 day cruise. I couldn't imagine doing a longer one. In general i think Princess rooms are small to begin with due to the dressing area taking up space. Even if you book an ocean view room the extra bed will be down the entire cruise taking up room. If you do keep the interior room I would not opt for the queen bed but would ask to keep the beds as 2 twins this way you can walk between the beds and have more floor space.

We booked 4 in an ocean view when the kids were small and they pushed the beds together to form the queen sized bed. There wasn't any room to move and then they give you that round table and extra chair that no matter where you put them, they got in the way.

We have always had balcony cabins but tried an inside when we did a New England cruise one October since we figured it would be too cold to use the balcony. Never again! It was too cramped, too dark, and too stuffy. Fortunately DW brought a small clip on fan otherwise there was no air circulation. I would try to upgrade if it were me. Granted you won't be inside most of the time but when you are...good luck.

Oh boy...this is what i feared. On most of our cruises, we have looked on the inner cabin doors to see "who" was staying in them. Surprisingly, a vast majority of them were Elite cruisers. This made me think they knew something we didn't...well...obviously not!

When our daughters we still cruising with us, we would book them an interior across the hall from us.

As another poster mentioned, having the beds in a twin configuration made their cabin seem so much larger with more walking space. :)

LuLu

Many elites do sail in interior cabins. They know that they will have access to all the amenities like dining, entertainment, etc. that all passengers receive.

We have sailed in every class of cabin. Prefer a balcony. Mini suites are usually overpriced and they are not "real" suites. Just slightly bigger. But sometimes the difference in price of the interior is so much that it would mean being able to take another cruise. In that case, interior wins.

While I have no issue with inside cabins, I think I would have an issue with three adults in a cabin even if it was a balcony cabin, simply because of the sleeping accomodations. The thin mattress on the pull down bed will be no better regardless of cabin. I would definitely prefer two insides to three people in a balcony.

DW, me, and our DS (23 yo) were in an interior cabin on the Grand earlier this year. It was okay for the seven day cruise but I don't think we'd book it for a 15 day. It was cramped with the 3 of us, especially with our DS who's over 6 feet tall and broad shouldered, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time in it either.

Some of my family always take a inside cabin and that is with 4 people. They don't have a problem at all. They only use their cabin for dressing and sleeping. So I think that is the key. If you are that type, then a inside cabin will be fine for the 3 of you. However if all 3 of you like to take naps, read, or just relax in the cabin, then it may be annoying. A better bet for you would be a mini suite which has a couch that turns into a single bed.

Oh boy...this is what i feared. On most of our cruises, we have looked on the inner cabin doors to see "who" was staying in them. Surprisingly, a vast majority of them were Elite cruisers. This made me think they knew something we didn't...well...obviously not!

So, just to share a different opinion. We have sailed 4 adults to an inside before and had no issue. Does it require a bit of cooperation and organization? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. I think a lot depends on your cruising style. If you view your cabin as somewhere you like to hang out, spend time etc, then 4 to an inside might not be for you. If however, you view your cabin as somewhere to sleep, shower and change, then you can make it work.

Ultimately, everyone is different. Many view an inside as a way to cruise more. Others wouldn't cruise without a balcony. Me, if it's a choice between an inside or no cruise, the inside wins everytime!

4 of us have been in an inside on the Royal for a 7 day cruise. 2 adults and 2 teenagers. This was the only way that we could afford our cruse this year as it was an extra spur at the moment trip. We did fine, but we are only in our room to sleep, shower and change, and occasionally to watch a movie. We did do a 15 day cruise through the canal in a balcony cabin, the only reason why we spent more time in our room was because we had a balcony. I think being in an interior would have been ok, but did not experience that. I will take any room on a cruise over not going on a cruise :)

Wow, after reading thru a bunch of posts about 3 people to an inner room, I am starting to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. My DH, myself and one of our daughters (22) are booked for 15 day Hawaii in November. We have never been in an interior room before, but figured that we would save some money this time since we are visiting France next year. I'm starting to think that the money saved may not be worth the cramped quarters and the flimsy mattress on the upper. Any thoughts?

3 in an inside for 15 days would be pushing it. :(

I shared an OV cabin with my dad and aunt on a 15-day Panama cruise. It worked out great for the three of us.

I took the upper bed, and I was fine with the mattress. I actually thought it was nicer than some of the other really hard Princess mattresses that I have had in the past. Maybe because they don't get used as much? There's a little reading light up there too, so that I could read the "patter" before going to sleep.

The first thing we did was divide up the storage space. My dad and my aunt took the nightstand storage and I got the vanity storage. We each had a shelf in the bathroom and shared the closet space.

My dad and aunt like to shower in the morning, while I like to shower right before 5:00 pm cocktails. We all tried to respect each other's privacy while dressing for dinner. And we are all pretty neat and organized, so that helps a lot.

We all got along really well and agreed that we would do it again. My husband and my stepmom are still working, and my uncle doesn't like to go on long cruises. By sharing a room, the three of us are able to travel more often. We don't spend much time in our cabin, so that works in our favor too.

BTW, all three of us are elite.;)

While I have no issue with inside cabins, I think I would have an issue with three adults in a cabin even if it was a balcony cabin, simply because of the sleeping accomodations. The thin mattress on the pull down bed will be no better regardless of cabin. I would definitely prefer two insides to three people in a balcony.

The problem with this is now you are paying the single supplement which dramatically brings the price up but yes I would book 2 insides for my family of 4 before I booked a balcony. Especially on the new ships where the balcony is a joke.

Keep the lowers apart for room and convenience. If the lowers are together you'll need to watch your head because in some IS cabins the upper is attached to the wall.

Ask for a mattress topper. I found the upper comfortable but for the fact it was ticked with plastic tabs (like those used for price tags.). Do not let the room steward talk you out of it Ours said the bed wouldn't close.

OP, did you say where the inside cabin is located? Perhaps if it is up on the Lido Deck, or another deck close to an exit to the outside, pool, etc. it would be much more tolerable.

While I agree with some who say you just use the room for sleeping and showering, for us that is a much truer statement on a port-intensive itinerary. Yours has quite a few sea days. Maybe you are the types who are out and about at the pool, participating in daytime activities, exercise room, etc. For this itinerary I would want a balcony and would keep a watch for sales on balcony staterooms!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We always book inside rooms. The price is great and, for two, they are not bad.

That said, I would never book an inside for 3 adults-especially on a 15 day cruise!

It ill be just too tight for the3 of you.

IMHO.

I managed in an inside cabin with two others (ex and a friend) when I was much younger. It worked out OK with the bathroom other than my ex having too much to drink one night and ending up sleeping naked on the floor.

We've just done a World Cruise segment with three in an Interior. No problems for us!

Cheers.

WOW, I AM IMPRESSED

I booked an inside travelling solo in DEC , 10 day caribbean cruise on the Royal. this is the 1st time for an inside

3 things made the decision for me : not going, saving $1500 and the

itinerary.