No more discounts after final payment...yah right...

teecee60

About the only thing I've ever known anyone to do successfully is to upgrade to a higher category cabin after final payment, providing the cabin is at least one dollar more than what you have already paid.

That was my best deal...I went from a C2 booked onboard to an S1 for $84 and got to keep everything I had...123+. I totally loved my cabin and how open it was!

One exception that I know of is the 9/4/15 Pacific Coastal itinerary on Infinity. There were several price drops last week (August 7) for Sept 4 departure in various balcony categories (including Concierge). Standard balconies (category 2) were as high as $1799 as recently as July 17, but now they're $1049 (or $849 resident if you quality) rate as of August 7.

I kept checking these prices as I was booked in an inside cabin. I was able to upgrade to a CC cabin for the $849 rate (would have been cheaper yet if I had gone through a TA). I was assigned a C3 -- but understand those that got this deal yesterday got in on the C1 cabin. Luck of the draw ... and I didn't get it but did get a great price. Nice thing was that I was assigned to a connecting cabin and they allowed me to change to a non-connecting cabin in the same C3 category. No upgrade but they did right by us. I kept waiting for the AQ to go on a better sale .. but sold out before that could happen. I just couldn't see paying an additional $900 for it.

It's important to note that the policy notes that they will stop reductions at various points, 40, 30, 20, 10 days out depending on itinerary and other factors. So a price drop at 60 days out isn't unexpected.

Exactly.

I don't know who's claiming the above heading - but it certainly isn't the cruise line!

Go to celebritycruises.co.uk, it shows all the available cabins when you do a mock booking.

I booked an OV guarantee yesterday, got my room assignment today for a November 4 cruise. The cabin I was assigned hadn't shown up either on the celebrity UK site or on the other site I frequently use to search for available cabins. So apparently they do have a stash of other cabins that don't show anywhere

I booked an OV guarantee yesterday, got my room assignment today for a November 4 cruise. The cabin I was assigned hadn't shown up either on the celebrity UK site or on the other site I frequently use to search for available cabins. So apparently they do have a stash of other cabins that don't show anywhere

I noticed that for my New England/Canada cruise in September. I always check how many and what cabins are available starting in June but they were showing nothing available, but you could still book a "guarantee" rate.

About the only thing I've ever known anyone to do successfully is to upgrade to a higher category cabin after final payment, providing the cabin is at least one dollar more than what you have already paid.

It actually does not have to be a higher category cabin. It just has to cost more than you paid previously. I recently went from a c2 to an fv and paid the extra happily. No contest between the two for me.

We are booked in AQ and saw after final payment that the Suite Guaranty was substantially less money. When my TA called Celebrity they said I could change but would lose my 123 benefits which were worth about $1500. In the end I would be paying a bout $700..not sure if it is worth it. I wish I could just upgrade, keep benefits and would not care about rebate on price difference.

On the flip side, my Connie sailing in November, the Sky suites are selling for more than Celebrity suites once sold for, and only 9% open cabins, just Sky Suites and some open views left.

How does one find the percentage of open cabins on a particular cruise? I've never seen this on any of our cruises and don't know if it's on the X website or elsewher. Any info and help is appreciated.

Thanks!

On the flip side, my Connie sailing in November, the Sky suites are selling for more than Celebrity suites once sold for, and only 9% open cabins, just Sky Suites and some open views left.

Hey Curt - would you post what web site you are using to determine number of cabins remaining or % of capacity?

I don't know the site that gives percentages, but you can determine this for yourself, sort of, by going to the Celebrity UK site where you can see almost all available cabins. It's a bit tedious, have to go into each subcategory separately, but worthwhile if you are trying to predict what direction prices will go.

There are other sites that are easier to use but we aren't allowed to name them here.

Does anyone have a sense for which cruises are more likely to be undersold at final payment and result in bargains?

I know some cruises that sell out early, like our Japan and China cruise and Around the Horn cruises.

I once thought transatlantics typically don't sell out, but noticed some have.

Does anyone have a sense for which cruises are more likely to be undersold at final payment and result in bargains?

I know some cruises that sell out early, like our Japan and China cruise and Around the Horn cruises.

repositioning cruises, cruises the week before/after a major holiday, M class ships, cruises that transit areas that are "in the news" e.g. Greece, Turkey, cruises at the start/end of the specific season (e.g Alaska in early may or late Sept.)

Last year I even saw some bargains on the SA cruises around the horn after final payment and the repo Valpariso to FLL or MIA also sometimes is discounted. But I agree it is rare for SA and even more so for Antarctica itineraries. I am on the SA cruise on Infinity this January and prices have not fluctuated much so far. Only insides and oceanview have much availability right now.

The best discounts I saw last year were Holy Land and Black Sea cruises, but that is because of the political situation. Also, TAs are good bargains and I noticed the Adriatic prices have come down significantly this year, although they were outrageous to begin with IMO compared to what I paid in late 2013.

Usually the New England cruises are very popular and sell out quickly. I am taking Serenade of the Seas repo 14 days from Quebec to FLL this October and it has been basically sold out for months. Now it is after final payment and balconies I paid $2,100 for (single occupancy) are now selling for $5,400 plus there are only 5 left on the entire ship.

So last minute does not usually work on the popular cruises, but there are plenty of other deals to be had.:)

At the beginning of this year there were even two SA cruises discounted with quite a nice price for a balcony cabin. But I wouldn't count on it. Strangely enough, there were also one or two cruises to the Baltics in May sailing out of Southampton that were quite reasonable in price. Two or three years ago, though, we saw cruises to Norway heavily discounted - this year ( as far as I could see) there were none. Last year I also saw a lot of discounts on New Zealand cruises esp. in November and lots of cabins still open for sale. 123-promotion seems to have sold a lot of cabins for this season - so goodbye to the good prices at the moment.

I have a list of cruises that interest me and check regularly. If an opportunity opens one must be quick. For example I lost a perfect opportunity to cruise to Iceland this year because I dithered for a few hours - the next day it was fully sold out. So I lost I great price through inactivity.

So it's a gamble - but it's fun , too. And sometimes a great deal is opening up so that you're able to cross another cruise from your bucket list. (Unfortunately , sometimes these cruises keep slipping back into the bucket, so to speak, because they have been so wonderful that you are keen on repeating them ;) )

I've been stalking the 12 night Constellation Istanbul-Rome cruise for months now, KNOWING it was HIDEOUSLY over-priced and under-booked... with OVER 250 cabins of all types still open. :rolleyes:

Final payment just hit and... SHOCK!!! SURPRISE!!! Prices dropped 20%. :eek:

Any bets that prices drop even FARTHER with THAT many cabins left this close to departure? ;)

Is this the 23 October sailing?

Nachos deluxe gave a good answer, and since you can drive to the ports, I would add almost every Caribbean cruise, even the holidays and "spring break" since that is a rolling time period. There are just too many ships, lines, mega-ships with way too many cabins to fill leaving Florida every weekend. Cheaper for you to cruise than stay at home if you are free to waiting about 6 weeks before sail date.

The websites that show pricing histories have graphs of the price over time and keep the history for a few years. Check out itineries of interest to see the patterns after final payment.

Edited by Janet987

Is this the 23 October sailing?

That's the one! Online prices are now $859pp inside/ $999pp OV/ and $1349pp balcony, with $75+$200 OBC available.

There are just too many ships, lines, mega-ships with way too many cabins to fill leaving Florida every weekend.

Imagine what it will be like in a few years with two more RCCL Oasis class ships, and FOUR new ships for Carnival/Costa that also carry 6000 passengers... (along with all the OTHER new builds coming out...)

Imagine what it will be like in a few years with two more RCCL Oasis class ships, and FOUR new ships for Carnival/Costa that also carry 6000 passengers... (along with all the OTHER new builds coming out...)

More and better last minute discounts for me? ...I'm OK with that:D

What I can't imagine is a day on the few islands that have built the deep water docks to handle the behemoths if two end up in port, in addition to existing large ships :eek:

Magsmc, Google is always your friend :) looking for an agent that offers last minute discounts? OK, Google: Discount and Last Minute Cruise Vacations. A last minute ticker service is useful for seeing what's out there at a glance.

Looking for "cruise price history" ask for that and find the same result Nachosdelux indicated, Stats tab, five years back by class. What did we do without Google? oh sorry, Alphabet.