No more 2 for 1, now buy 1 get one for $1

vickie_bernie

Just got off the Crown on Saturday. Was shocked to see that the old 2 for 1 deal in Wheelhouse during day and Skywalkers at night is now.

But one and get one for $1

Blah, but it sure was popular.

Is this happening on other ships?

:rolleyes: Reminds me of the PES lounge when they first had the $2.99 specialty drinks. That did not last long. :rolleyes:

Had the power hour. That did not last long and was sporadic throughout the fleet.

They just can't seem to hold a special for long. Just too greedy IMO. :rolleyes:

Just another case of quiet inflation on the ship. They used to offer any drink in the Elite lounge at Happy Hour at the $5.00 price then they changed it to only the drink of the day. One can only drink so many Cosmopolitans. Can I have my Chairman of the Board please and hold the lemon.

Just another case of quiet inflation on the ship. They used to offer any drink in the Elite lounge at Happy Hour at the $5.00 price then they changed it to only the drink of the day. One can only drink so many Cosmopolitans. Can I have my Chairman of the Board please and hold the lemon.

some ships enforce this but on the Crown in May and August we could order any of the drinks, again not consistent fleet wide.

I still think we're all better off with Princess. I have read on the Royal Caribbean boards that their drink prices have gone up dramatically, with many drinks being in the $10 range. Plus, they pay much more for specialty restaurants on RC I think. So, I think we should all count our lucky stars.

As one that has been involved in sales for over 30 years, I can say that people value things that cost something even if it is a small amount more than free stuff.

A good example is a free ticket to an event, half of the people won't even bother to show up, but charge even a minimal amount and that changes completely. This is a case of perceived value at work to some degree.

If you order a drink at the regular price, you will always take the second one if it is free, however, i wonder just how many of those are unfinished and dumped out? If you charge $1 for it, many people will take a moment to decide if they really want or need it before taking it. Of course for some it is still a no brainer!:p A drink on a cruise ship for only a dollar?!! Of course I will take one!:D

Just my thoughts,

Dixon

Edited by Matcodixon

On the Emerald in March they would not budge. :(

Wording on the schedule for the Emerald:

"Enjoy your paired cocktail with the selected menu of the day, at a special discounted price of $5.00, available at the promotional price on the same day only."

As one that has been involved in sales for over 30 years, I can say that people value things that cost something even if it is a small amount more than free stuff.

A good example is a free ticket to an event, half of the people won't even bother to show up, but charge even a minimal amount and that changes completely. This is a case of perceived value at work to some degree.

If you order a drink at the regular price, you will always take the second one if it is free, however, i wonder just how many of those are unfinished and dumped out? If you charge $1 for it, many people will take a moment to decide if they really want or need it before taking it. Of course for some it is still a no brainer!:p A drink on a cruise ship for only a dollar?!! Of course I will take one!:D

Just my thoughts,

Dixon

I agree with your assessment of perceived value. This $1 charge might cut down on waste.

Edited by baz48

Just my thoughts,

Dixon

You make a great point.

Exactly. Also, tho possibly not relevant now, some jurisdictions have issues with 'free' drinks.

I suppose its fairer to the bar staff as a well, as now they see a tiny bit of gratuity on the second beverage.

Just my thoughts,

Dixon

Just my thoughts,

Dixon

Very well said Dixon!

Every ship and every event is different but the few times I went to the "Happy Hour" there were maybe 40-50 people there. What does that add to the ship's income? $50? maybe $75 if half the people actually can consume 4 drinks in the hour? The evening Happy Hour has even fewer takers. It just seems like small stuff for a cruise line even with considering fleet-wide and daily events. Maybe my math skills and projecting the bottom line is off-kilter. Personally, I would rather leave the extra $1 on the tray for the server and bartender. Perhaps this is where the extra money goes? Anyone know for certain?

Edited by iceleven

Every ship and every event is different but the few times I went to the "Happy Hour" there were maybe 40-50 people there.

My experience with the afternoon BOGO event is that the room was so crowded it was hard to get in.

Picture below is of just a small section of the room during that hour:

890413%20030%2004.13.15%202-for-1%20hour%20at%20Wheelhouse%20Bar%20deck%207%20DSC06259_zpsd8779yba.jpg

If you have 50 people drinking average 3 drinks (so 1.5 on bogo or 75 paid, 75 free for revenue) at lets say $6 you have about $450 in revenue for one hour. Adding $1 for the second drink brings that to $525.

Not bad for one hour one room at average alcohol margins.

Every ship and every event is different but the few times I went to the "Happy Hour" there were maybe 40-50 people there. What does that add to the ship's income? $50? maybe $75 if half the people actually can consume 4 drinks in the hour? The evening Happy Hour has even fewer takers. It just seems like small stuff for a cruise line even with considering fleet-wide and daily events. Maybe my math skills and projecting the bottom line is off-kilter. Personally, I would rather leave the extra $1 on the tray for the server and bartender. Perhaps this is where the extra money goes? Anyone know for certain?