No more 2 for 1, now buy 1 get one for $1

vickie_bernie

If you have 50 people drinking average 3 drinks (so 1.5 on bogo or 75 paid, 75 free for revenue) at lets say $6 you have about $450 in revenue for one hour. Adding $1 for the second drink brings that to $525.

Not bad for one hour one room at average alcohol margins.

The afternoon BOGO hours that I have seen have been very crowded, possibly with people that would not be drinking at that hour (it is often between 3 PM and 4 PM) if not for the BOGO offer.

So it is possible that a high percentage of the sales that hour would not have occurred without the BOGO incentive.

I suspect there are days where there are greater crowds, as your photo suggests and especially on sea days. I doubt, due to the 3-4pm time-frame, people would be returning early from their excursions just to get a couple inexpensive cocktails, thus a smaller turnout?

My experience with the afternoon BOGO event is that the room was so crowded it was hard to get in.

Picture below is of just a small section of the room during that hour:

890413%20030%2004.13.15%202-for-1%20hour%20at%20Wheelhouse%20Bar%20deck%207%20DSC06259_zpsd8779yba.jpg

My experience with the afternoon BOGO event is that the room was so crowded it was hard to get in.

Picture below is of just a small section of the room during that hour:

890413%20030%2004.13.15%202-for-1%20hour%20at%20Wheelhouse%20Bar%20deck%207%20DSC06259_zpsd8779yba.jpg

I would say that it was even more crowded than that during happy hour on our last cruise on the Emerald.

As one that has been involved in sales for over 30 years, I can say that people value things that cost something even if it is a small amount more than free stuff.

A good example is a free ticket to an event, half of the people won't even bother to show up, but charge even a minimal amount and that changes completely. This is a case of perceived value at work to some degree.

If you order a drink at the regular price, you will always take the second one if it is free, however, i wonder just how many of those are unfinished and dumped out? If you charge $1 for it, many people will take a moment to decide if they really want or need it before taking it. Of course for some it is still a no brainer!:p A drink on a cruise ship for only a dollar?!! Of course I will take one!:D

Just my thoughts,

Dixon

I agree with your assessment of perceived value. This $1 charge might cut down on waste.

I've read that's why ships that have ice cream at the IC charge $1.50/3scoops to reduce waste.

It's good to know about the terms changing but whether it's free or costs $1 it's still a good promotion to me. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

It was also why a fee was added to full pizzas from room service. Makes the passengers have some skin in the game as it were.

I've read that's why ships that have ice cream at the IC charge $1.50/3scoops to reduce waste.

It's good to know about the terms changing but whether it's free or costs $1 it's still a good promotion to me. :p

Wording on the schedule for the Emerald:

"Enjoy your paired cocktail with the selected menu of the day, at a special discounted price of $5.00, available at the promotional price on the same day only."

yeah this is what it says on the schedule, but not all ships follow this rule. The Crown is one that allows you to order any of the drinks that are on the schedule no matter what day it is. \

Since we only like a couple of the drinks we go more often on the Crown and enjoy those drinks. If they enforce the rule we only go on the day that features the drink we like.

So we spend a lot more money in the Elite lounge on the Crown. At least 300% more. We went to the lounge six times in seven days last week. Yum wish I was there now :D

Royal was strict too, only allowed us to get the featured drink. We rarely went.

Since Happy Hour started last fall (?) we have been having more drinks onboard than we ever have before. We get to the Wheelhouse every second or third day now. So it does work (on us at least).

I agree with what others have said, arrive a few minutes late for afternoon Happy Hour and you are going to be standing for awhile. Sometimes even longer than the people behind you in the lineup! We were next in line and since the area where you wait just inside Wheelhouse is spacious before long the people behind us were waiting beside us. A waitress comes along indicating there were seats and we should follow her. I assumed she indicated there was a table for 4 (my hearing isn't great) as all four of us followed her. When we got to the table FOR TWO they promptly sat down and ordered.......I know, wrong thread, should be in the Rude Passengers thread. We then waited for another ten minutes though we ordered our drinks as we waited this time. After ten minutes and still no seats we left with our drinks and sat in Crooners down the hall.

I was using Happy Hour for cans of Coke as well. They were 2 for 1 as well so two cans for $1.95 plus Gratuity. For the relatively few that I want on a cruise I would pay a buck a can rather than bringing it with me or looking in port occasionally. I dont want the amount tgat I could have with the Coke sticker. Unfortunately the $1 for second item is going to increase the coke can from $1 to $1.50. Not certain if that will make me consider a different plan or not.

Terry

I'll drink to that!!

And with the Royal and Regal charging $2.75 for those same three scoops, there must be even less waste on those ships.

And with the Royal and Regal charging $2.75 for those same three scoops, there must be even less waste on those ships.

It was $3.50 on the Regal in April & contact Princess if it you disagree because it's not my policy. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

The scoops on Royal seemed much larger - 3 scoops was enough for 2 of us plus they added unlimited toppings (not sure what they had in the IC topping wise)

It was $3.50 on the Regal in April & contact Princess if it you disagree because it's not my policy. :rolleyes:

What if you have an AIBP? Do you still have to pay $1 for the second drink??:confused:

On the Caribbean Princess recently, the 2 for 1 was not available to AIBP holders. You had to order one drink, and then turn around and order another. In the Palm dining room, the waiter asked if I would like him to order two wines at the same time so that when I was through with the first, he could just bring me the second. I agreed, but then the manager the Palm dining room made the waiter put the second wine glass on my ship bill. I tried to have it removed because I was on the AIBP, and at first the service desk removed it, but it got added back onto my bill the next day. I don't like how the manager of the Palm dining room treated the wait staff or me since he did not tell me that I would be charged for the second wine.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Vickie,

Did the BOGO $1 include wine..by the bottle? I've seen it where it does and where it's a no go.

Oh ya...Hi...Alice:):):)

that would be great but no. Last time I saw that option was on the Royal in January and they quickly stopped in two sailings later. Oh well Alice guess we will just have to stock up on the glasses of wine

On the Caribbean Princess recently, the 2 for 1 was not available to AIBP holders. You had to order one drink, and then turn around and order another. In the Palm dining room, the waiter asked if I would like him to order two wines at the same time so that when I was through with the first, he could just bring me the second. I agreed, but then the manager the Palm dining room made the waiter put the second wine glass on my ship bill. I tried to have it removed because I was on the AIBP, and at first the service desk removed it, but it got added back onto my bill the next day. I don't like how the manager of the Palm dining room treated the wait staff or me since he did not tell me that I would be charged for the second wine.

Thank you for this info. I haven't had an AIBP before and like you, would not have thought anything from the waiter offering to get me 2 drinks. I would be really annoyed to be charged for the second drink, especially when it was offered in good faith.

The scoops on Royal seemed much larger - 3 scoops was enough for 2 of us plus they added unlimited toppings (not sure what they had in the IC topping wise)

Not larger when I received my three scoops on the Royal. Notice the size of the spoon compared to the size of the scoops.

891231070123114Gelatorestaurant-strawberrybutterpecancookiesampcreamDSC04190_zpse1199f82.jpg

I am happy this deal is offered, whether it's 2 for 1 or get the second for a buck . We enjoyed both on our last 2 cruises, on the Veendam and on Princesses Regal . A great deal especially as on both cruises they were willing to not open the beer bottles so they could be enjoyed when and where we wished .

I still think we're all better off with Princess. I have read on the Royal Caribbean boards that their drink prices have gone up dramatically, with many drinks being in the $10 range. Plus, they pay much more for specialty restaurants on RC I think. So, I think we should all count our lucky stars.
Adding to that , RC doesn't have the option of buying a bottle of alcohol . The best deal was on Princess where a 375 ML bottle of vodka was $16 . I thought this was quite fair .

I am happy this deal is offered, whether it's 2 for 1 or get the second for a buck . We enjoyed both on our last 2 cruises, on the Veendam and on Princesses Regal . A great deal especially as on both cruises they were willing to not open the beer bottles so they could be enjoyed when and where we wished .Adding to that , RC doesn't have the option of buying a bottle of alcohol . The best deal was on Princess where a 375 ML bottle of vodka was $16 . I thought this was quite fair .

What did you do with the bottle of alcohol that you purchased? Were you able to use it while on the ship for personal consumption? Keep it at the bar? Interested in knowing more. Thanks.

What did you do with the bottle of alcohol that you purchased? Were you able to use it while on the ship for personal consumption? Keep it at the bar? Interested in knowing more. Thanks.

You purchase through room service. Yes you can use it onboard. They will bring it to your stateroom.

Its the ones you buy in the gift shop duty free that they hold until the end of the cruise.

I ordered it prior to the cruise . There was a card waiting for us in our cabin instructing us to call room service for delivery . When I called I asked for glasses , ice and juice all of which were delivered for the "cost" of a tip. Excellent ! :)

As Colo Cruiser posted , do not confuse this with the purchase of alcohol through the duty free shop.

Thank you for this info. I haven't had an AIBP before and like you, would not have thought anything from the waiter offering to get me 2 drinks. I would be really annoyed to be charged for the second drink, especially when it was offered in good faith.

Yes, our waiter in the Palm dining room offered the second glass of wine as a convenience to me so that I could enjoy the company at our table without being interrupted by signing for a second glass of wine. He felt so bad when I was charged for the second glass. I didn't mention it in the cruise survey, either, because I was concerned that the restaurant manager might be the vindictive type who would take it out on our waiter if he received word that a passenger had left a negative comment. I'm not saying the restaurant manager was, I just wanted to leave it alone.

Edited by Mackenzie1