Holiday Cruises - 2016 - Cuba ?

sail7seas

Would you go?

Maybe HAL is trying to find a way to schedule such cruise and that is holding up release of other itineraries? :D

Kidding, of course, but I've been watching the coverage of flag raising etc on TV and sure looks like somewhere that I want to visit on a cruise ship ASAP. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I recently visited with some folks from Canada who had traveled to Cuba several times. They said it was nice and very interesting however their resources would be overwhelmed by a thousand passengers going ashore at one time. Someday I hope to see Cuba but guess I'll have to wait.

I have always wanted to go to Cuba. I think I would go for the island vacation first by finding out where the Canadians go. I would not be the first to sail there as I would wait a while for "the system" to become regular. For me, that is usually 8 months to one year.

coka

I have always wanted to go to Cuba. I think I would go for the island vacation first by finding out where the Canadians go. I would not be the first to sail there as I would wait a while for "the system" to become regular. For me, that is usually 8 months to one year.

coka

Most Canadians go to Varadero/Havana for land vacations. There are a couple of smaller resort areas as well . These aren't as well advertised .

I don't think the many cruise ships will be going for a while. The Cuban infrastructure probably couldn't even handle a 1000 passengers at one time.

The prices will be sky high and many will agree to pay. :D

The main number one reason Canadians have been going to Cuba for years ... BECAUSE IT'S CHEAP!!! Unless they improve their infrastructure and tourist facilities in a hurry, paying big $$$ to go there would be quite foolish.

Edited by taxmantoo

coka

There is a large Canadian presence in Varadero, about an hour and a half from Havana. The beaches are spectacular and there are numerous gorgeous resorts.

A lot of the big name resorts are there; they just haven't included their Cuba resorts in brochures published for the U.S. The people are very friendly and welcoming. We have been there twice and would go again in a minute. Varadero also has its own international airport. You will also find a lot of Brits there. Actually tourists go to Cuba from all over the world.

When we were last there in 2010 we went for a walk and discovered a newly built Marina with a beautiful restaurant attached. I went into the ladies' room and thought for a minute I was in the Ritz Carleton. Most unusual as public washrooms in Cuba generally are pretty sad.

There were oodles of brand new catamarans tied up there--- the kind that take snorklers out for the day. It was quite evident they were gearing up for a relaxing of the embargo and an untapped tourist market.

The tour busses for visitors are all late model European makes and are every bit as nice as the ones we experienced in Europe.

The thing that struck me the most about Cuba was the absolute cleanliness everywhere. You don't see garbage littering the streets like you do elsewhere in the Caribbean. The people may be poor but they take a lot of pride in themselves and their surroundings.

Edited by sapper1

coka

I know there are some small European cruise ships that stop there , we talked to a English couple that there ship stopped there, when we were on one of the other islands

Some Americans are willing to chance traveling illegally. I'll wait until I fit into one of the permitted categories but I won't be going on Carnival's work force cruise. :eek: :D

I would love to go to Cuba on a land vacation or cruise. But it would have to be a cruise like a Bermuda cruise where it is your only destination. I wouldn't want to go and have Havana be one stop for a couple of hours and off to another island. And heaven forbid no cruise line-constructed shopping mall. I'd like to see Cuba as it is and not another Diamonds International.

I would love to go to Cuba on a land vacation or cruise. But it would have to be a cruise like a Bermuda cruise where it is your only destination. I wouldn't want to go and have Havana be one stop for a couple of hours and off to another island. And heaven forbid no cruise line-constructed shopping mall. I'd like to see Cuba as it is and not another Diamonds International.

I agree.

Seven days, FLL to Cuba. Drop an anchor or tie up for 4-5 days and sail back with maybe a stop at HMC or Key West.

I have no desire to go with a cruise line I've never heard of.

The Canadian ship used by Your Cuba Cruise, is now "Celestyal Cristal. (Bought and now operated by Louis Cristal as a result of its success). Here is a link to almost 120 pages of Europeans, Canadians (and some Americans lol) who have enjoyed the ports in Cuba. Sorry you haven't heard of it:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850565&page=119

http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=3e08884c93dafe6c9b5b9d315&id=f2971c5ea6&e=0524880b1d

The main number one reason Canadians have been going to Cuba for years ... BECAUSE IT'S CHEAP!!! Unless they improve their infrastructure and tourist facilities in a hurry, paying big $$$ to go there would be quite foolish.

I'm not so sure about that. I'd pay the big $$$ to get there before the infrastructure is "improved" with things like Diamonds International and Margaritaville....