Murano now $65. per person?

OkanaganRon

We'll pass...glad we got to enjoy these restaurants when the food and service were truly tops and the prices much lower! Other than enjoying BLU in AQ, our big night out will be at Bistro on Five!

Edited by hcat

I guess there are still enough people paying it to justify the prices. If they get to a price point people just won't pay that's when it may get more realistic. I will be interested to see just what offers are available on our November cruise in the Carribbean.

Agree and this is in addition to what you have already paid in your cruise fare.

Not us. We are on vacation to enjoy ourselves, not pinch pennies. We try all the specialty restaurants. It's part of the adventure. If we wanted to be frugal, we'd do it at home where we aren't trying to get the most out of our vacation.

I have to chuckle when I hear that stale excuse that "I have already paid for a meal in the MDR, I am not going to pay for another meal in a specialty restaurant". It's like going through life worried more about not spending a penny more than necessary than allowing oneself to have the best experiences possible. If one really felt that they didn't want to spend money on something they have already paid for, then they should not be spending money on a stateroom because they have already paid for living quarters back home which are going unused.

Edited by sloopsailor

Not us. We are on vacation to enjoy ourselves, not pinch pennies. We try all the specialty restaurants. It's part of the adventure. If we wanted to be frugal, we'd do it at home where we aren't trying to get the most out of our vacation.

I have to chuckle when I hear that stale excuse that "I have already paid for a meal in the MDR, I am not going to pay for another meal in a specialty restaurant". It's like going through life worried more about not spending a penny more than necessary than allowing oneself to have the best experiences possible. If one really felt that they didn't want to spend money on something they have already paid for, then they should not be spending money on a stateroom since they are already spending money for unused living quarters back home.

In my OP I was asking the question about a price increase, not quibbling about the price. It sounds like it is still $50. US$, which is what I wanted to know. I have always, and will continue to go to Murano once per cruise at the $50. rate. Love the lobster!

We enjoy eating in the speciality restaurants but our last meal in Murano while we were on Equinox was very poor. The restaurant manager cancelled our bill and invited us back.

I am not sure if we would spend $50 a head on our next trip. Tuscan Grill on Equinox was very good though and well worth the supplement IMO.

We enjoy eating in the speciality restaurants but our last meal in Murano while we were on Equinox was very poor. The restaurant manager cancelled our bill and invited us back.

I am not sure if we would spend $50 a head on our next trip. Tuscan Grill on Equinox was very good though and well worth the supplement IMO.

We had the opposite experience on the Silhouette, Tuscan a disaster and Murano excellent. Their doesn't seem to be any consistency with these SR from ship to ship.

I have to chuckle when I hear that stale excuse that "I have already paid for a meal in the MDR, I am not going to pay for another meal in a specialty restaurant". It's like going through life worried more about not spending a penny more than necessary than allowing oneself to have the best experiences possible. If one really felt that they didn't want to spend money on something they have already paid for, then they should not be spending money on a stateroom because they have already paid for living quarters back home which are going unused.

Well this "one", me, pinches pennies when possible. That means when we cruise, we may or may not eat at a specialty restaurant depending on price because frankly, it is not worth full price. If we can go at a discount, we do.

Same for suites. We've been blessed to be able to cruise in a suite a few times (including a Royal Suite). But if we can't get one at a good price, we will make do in a balcony cabin and be ever so happy to be able to do that.

It is because we spend our money wisely (some may call it penny pinching) that we are able to decide whether we should spend the extra $$ for that suite or the specialty dining.

The price of all the SR's has gone up recently. Before the price increase X's SR prices were higher than all the other lines I cruise. I will be dining SR only if I can get a discount onboard except for that one Tuscan Grill reservation I booked before the increase;)

You totally misinterpreted what I said. I was trying to make the point that the price is plus your portion of the fare. I never said I already paid for the meal and do not believe that. Wife and I don't do them anymore because in our opinion they have become highly overrated and no different from MDR when we first started cruising Celebrity.

When they first started with the SRs, the extra charge was supposed to be for a gratuity...now there is the upcharge and most of us tip on top on that.....quality of food is still high but not worth it to us..esp since we've been to them all multiple times...

of course they usually have deals...so we will probably go to Tuscan on Equinox in January..

You totally misinterpreted what I said. I was trying to make the point that the price is plus your portion of the fare. I never said I already paid for the meal and do not believe that.

I see your point. But consider that the portion of your fare that pays for included meals on board is less than $15 per day (according than a cruise insider who posts here). And that includes breakfast, lunch, snacks, late night pizza or desert, and any other items a person may consume during the day. What this means is that you paid less than $7 for your MDR meal. Bottom line, you aren't losing much if you skip the MDR for an occasional specialty meal.

Wife and I don't do them anymore because in our opinion they have become highly overrated and no different from MDR when we first started cruising Celebrity.

Yes, that may be true. But, you also must consider that cruises today are less expensive than when you first started with Celebrity. We all are in favor of more affordable cruises. My problem with this is that some people continue to expect the same level of quality as they used to get for a much higher cost. We demanded lower prices, and we got them. Along the way, something had to be lost to allow those lower prices that none of us want to go away.

I like a comment posted on a recent thread about how cruises have changed since the 70s. Some people there complained about lower food quality in the MDR, ignoring that the cost of a cruise today is a fraction of what it used to be. One poster hit the nail on the head with this quote: "Don't expect caviar at raisin prices."

That about sums up the reality, which is in total conflict with what some people want to believe.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Well this "one", me, pinches pennies when possible. That means when we cruise, we may or may not eat at a specialty restaurant depending on price because frankly, it is not worth full price. If we can go at a discount, we do.

Same for suites. We've been blessed to be able to cruise in a suite a few times (including a Royal Suite). But if we can't get one at a good price, we will make do in a balcony cabin and be ever so happy to be able to do that.

It is because we spend our money wisely (some may call it penny pinching) that we are able to decide whether we should spend the extra $$ for that suite or the specialty dining.

Bravo....couldn't have said it better myself.

Paragraph 2 -- replace 'same for suites' with 'same for balconies'. If we cannot get a balcony for a good price, we are happy enough to be in an inside or oceanview. The post can call it penny pinching if they want -- I would call it living within our means.

Wow. When it was $45 I thought it was too rich for my blood. There was the one night that the MDR maitre'd was begging folks to try a specialty restaurant for 30% off. We chose QSine over Murano because it looked fun. Honestly I regret the decision, but $30 even felt a little steep for an "extra dinner" since we love the Celebrity MDR. For Murano maybe I would pay $30, but certainly not $50.

Edit: I also was surprised to see what they're charging for Bistro on Five these days. At a Fiver it seemed reasonable (to me it was basically paying service), but considering how empty it used to be I can't imagine it's doing much better these days.

Edited by Gig103

There was the one night that the MDR maitre'd was begging folks to try a specialty restaurant for 30% off. We chose QSine over Murano because it looked fun. Honestly I regret the decision, but $30 even felt a little steep for an "extra dinner" since we love the Celebrity MDR.

I suspect that Murano was undersubscribed on some nights on our recent cruise.

We sat in the Ensemble lounge having pre dinner drinks and saw very few people going in( whereas plenty walked past us on their way to Blu)

We were asked twice if we wanted to book for Murano, once in the Ocean View Cafe and once in the Dining room. My husband's reply in MDR was " this is special enough, how can it be any more special?"

Our Maitre De replied that they had been accused of not giving people special treatment for Special Occasions eg Birthdays, Anniversary's etc, but he was pleased with my DH reply, as it meant that he would still have a job!

I suspect that Murano was undersubscribed on some nights on our recent cruise.

We sat in the Ensemble lounge having pre dinner drinks and saw very few people going in( whereas plenty walked past us on their way to Blu)

We were asked twice if we wanted to book for Murano, once in the Ocean View Cafe and once in the Dining room. My husband's reply in MDR was " this is special enough, how can it be any more special?"

Our Maitre De replied that they had been accused of not giving people special treatment for Special Occasions eg Birthdays, Anniversary's etc, but he was pleased with my DH reply, as it meant that he would still have a job!

We never mind paying for a good meal at home and would pay the extra for Murano IF its value for money. I'm certainly not going to just throw money at it just because I'm on holiday. For me there is a difference between spending freely and being taken for a mug. For what Celebrity charge for speciality dining I expect a top notch meal and if that's the case I'm happy to pay it.